Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2014 5:20:50 AM EDT
I have not been officially diagnosed with Aspergers, but only because I haven't been officially tested, in my opinion. My son was diagnosed when he was around 7 and he's 10 now, but my wife says we're almost exactly the same. Every test I've taken puts me at about a 80% chance of being an Aspie.

There's a much bigger story here than what I've given so far. Some people may say be skeptical that I really have AS because I haven't been officially diagnosed. To that I answer: it really doesn't matter if someone is diagnosed, it only matters if they find things that help them.

So, is there anyone with a similar experience?  Anyone with AS or have a child with AS, or both?  Or any type of autism spectrum disorder, for that matter.

If so, how has it affected your Christian walk?  Do you feel out of place at church?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:43:38 AM EDT
[#1]
What types of symptoms outside of a generally normal state of being have you personally experienced? Reason asking, is for acts of intensified prayer: petitions; possible fastings; those sorts of things. If you want we can IM bro.

SAE
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:32:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What types of symptoms outside of a generally normal state of being have you personally experienced? Reason asking, is for acts of intensified prayer: petitions; possible fastings; those sorts of things. If you want we can IM bro.

SAE
View Quote

Prayers for strength, guidance, wisdom, and protection are always welcome, brother!  

But to be honest, now that my son and I have an explanation as to why we think, react, feel, etc. the way we do (those things can be a lot different than "normal" people sometimes), we have a certain peace with ourselves. For example, we have learned that when we go to a crowded mall we will have anxiety, and we plan for that by finding somewhere quiet to take a break, like maybe the housewares department of sears or something. It use to be a bookstore until they pretty much closed them all.

But we don't beat ourselves up anymore because we can't tolerate some things like "normal" people can. For as long as I can remember I would think that I was less of a person because certain things affected me, but seem to have no affect at all on anyone else.  For example, a schedule change that was unannounced would almost send me into a panic attack. Then, on top of the near panic attack I felt like a sissy because no one else was affected. Now I know that the reaction is normal and all I have to deal with is the anxiety, I no longer feel like less of a person, or a weak person.

When my son was first diagnosed I was in total denial because autism isn't curable. But after a few months I started to accept it and began researching. That's when I found out that a lot of the things described me, and I learned a lot about myself. So, while I was trying to help my son, I was being helped.

This journey has taken me closer to God than ever before. And believe me, everyday is a journey with me and my son.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Prayers for strength, guidance, wisdom, and protection are always welcome, brother!  

But to be honest, now that my son and I have an explanation as to why we think, react, feel, etc. the way we do (those things can be a lot different than "normal" people sometimes), we have a certain peace with ourselves. For example, we have learned that when we go to a crowded mall we will have anxiety, and we plan for that by finding somewhere quiet to take a break, like maybe the housewares department of sears or something. It use to be a bookstore until they pretty much closed them all.

But we don't beat ourselves up anymore because we can't tolerate some things like "normal" people can. For as long as I can remember I would think that I was less of a person because certain things affected me, but seem to have no affect at all on anyone else.  For example, a schedule change that was unannounced would almost send me into a panic attack. Then, on top of the near panic attack I felt like a sissy because no one else was affected. Now I know that the reaction is normal and all I have to deal with is the anxiety, I no longer feel like less of a person, or a weak person.

When my son was first diagnosed I was in total denial because autism isn't curable. But after a few months I started to accept it and began researching. That's when I found out that a lot of the things described me, and I learned a lot about myself. So, while I was trying to help my son, I was being helped.

This journey has taken closer to God than ever before. And believe me, everyday is a journey with me and my son.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SAE

This journey has taken closer to God than ever before. And believe me, everyday is a journey with me and my son.

Brother, I will tell you a truth.

I believe that you might be in a much better condition in which to be great in the kingdom of God through certain God-given talents; as I believe we should more accurately address these tendencies that we may feel that are not quite normal, than maybe someone else who might consider themselves better or even superior to us about some things because they might deem themselves somewhat more, "normal" than we are, right?

Am not really seeing that great an issue here if put into the right kingdom perspective, and then thus through that authority.

As long as God in the form of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ is at your head and your families through you, then I would count some of these things well within your favor.

Wouldn't you?

There are no "sissy" types, or "cowards" in the kingdom of God. Only the ones who have not acquired the right stage of development yet and planned for according to their faith in order to expand and be further educated in the only ways which truly make us men.

Kingdom Men in Christ which means eventually overcoming all of the things with God has given us to prove Him with.

Is our salvation in Christ worth any of these things; that being for God's ultimate glory in rewarding you latter and concerning the beautiful crown that He will personally lay upon your own glorified and shinning head?

You and your  son's and the rest of your sweet and precious family's.

We have nothing to prove to ourselves except Jesus Christ to others, and in this there is the ultimate healing for all of us!.

In the here and now.

In it (In Him through the Spirit) to win it!

Kapeesh brother?

Thanks for sharing.

SAE

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This journey has taken me closer to God than ever before. And believe me, everyday is a journey with me and my son.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SAE

My son has Aspergers and I am learning many things from him getting help. I am just the same way, crowds, busy places, too much stimulus,etc. I was taking Adderall for a few months but quit, it did help. I understand why he/I react and behave certain ways in certain situations now. It has brought the family closer and closer to God.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#5]
<><***

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It has brought the family closer and closer to God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This journey has taken me closer to God than ever before.

How has it done so? That's quite the opposite reaction from what I would expect.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I believe that you might be in a much better condition in which to be great in the kingdom of God through certain God-given talents; as I believe we should more accurately address these tendencies that we may feel that are not quite normal, than maybe someone else who might consider themselves better or even superior to us about some things because they might deem themselves somewhat more, "normal" than we are, right?

Am not really seeing that great an issue here if put into the right kingdom perspective, and then thus through that authority.

As long as God in the form of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ is at your head and your families through you, then I would count some of these things well within your favor.

Wouldn't you?

There are no "sissy" types, or "cowards" in the kingdom of God. Only the ones who have not acquired the right stage of development yet and planned for according to their faith in order to expand and be further educated in the only ways which truly make us men.

Kingdom Men in Christ which means eventually overcoming all of the things with God has given us to prove Him with.

Is our salvation in Christ worth any of these things; that being for God's ultimate glory in rewarding you latter and concerning the beautiful crown that He will personally lay upon your own glorified and shinning head?

We have nothing to prove to ourselves except Jesus Christ to others, and in this there is the ultimate healing for all of us!.

In the here and now.

Kapeesh brother?

Thanks for sharing.

SAE

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SAE

Wouldn't you?

In the here and now.

Kapeesh brother?

Thanks for sharing.

SAE

I absolutely agree!  

Looking back now, I see that my walk with Christ was hindered because I didn't understand what was going on with me. For example, we're told not to fear but trust in The Lord. Well, I was having anxiety over little things (little to other people anyway) so I felt like I was a weak Christian, as well as a person. But now I know that it's just how I'm wired, and I don't feel guilty over having the anxiety, I know that God isn't counting it against me. And knowing that gives me the faith to trust Him.

There are a lot more issues that have been resolved too. The anxiety is just the one I struggled with the most.

Note:  I'm not an anxious person or suffer from an anxiety disorder. The anxiety I had/have is caused by stressors or triggers.

And truthfully, I don't think that I would have it any other way.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My son has Aspergers and I am learning many things from him getting help. I am just the same way, crowds, busy places, too much stimulus,etc. I was taking Adderall for a few months but quit, it did help. I understand why he/I react and behave certain ways in certain situations now. It has brought the family closer and closer to God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SAE

Awesome!  Is he in therapy?  My son saw an occupational therapist for several months. The therapist's son has Aspergers as well, so she was able to help tremendously with suggestions. Also, his summer camp and after school teacher's son has Aspergers so she is also a blessing. The worst thing about the whole ordeal is feeling alone, like no one understands or can relate. My family has been blessed with people that help him/us.

If there's anything I might can help with, don't hesitate to ask.

I started this thread because I wanted to share some of my story. SAE has spoken the truth to us all in this thread (and many others). I pray that maybe this thread will reach somebody that's looking for help or fellowship, and that I, or someone in here, can provide that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I absolutely agree!  

Looking back now, I see that my walk with Christ was hindered because I didn't understand what was going on with me. For example, we're told not to fear but trust in The Lord. Well, I was having anxiety over little things (little to other people anyway) so I felt like I was a weak Christian, as well as a person. But now I know that it's just how I'm wired, and I don't feel guilty over having the anxiety, I know that God isn't counting it against me. And knowing that gives me the faith to trust Him.

There are a lot more issues that have been resolved too. The anxiety is just the one I struggled with the most.

Note:  I'm not an anxious person or suffer from an anxiety disorder. The anxiety I had/have is caused by stressors or triggers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SAE

Wouldn't you?

In the here and now.

Kapeesh brother?

Thanks for sharing.

SAE

I absolutely agree!  

Agreed!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Church gatherings and functions can be very difficult because of over stimulation for me and my son. As I have gotten older and have learned more about how I react to different things, I have been able to tolerate more. My son, on the other hand, still has to take breaks. Up until just a month or so, he would sit with us at church instead of going to kids church because of his anxiety of being in a place he's never been, with kids he's never met, without me (I'm usually the one to help him with his relaxation techniques when he's feeling overwhelmed). Our worship is rather loud, not ear splitting, but loud. He had to take "bathroom breaks" about halfway through the worship part, so he could get away from the noise and people and "refill his tank" so to speak. Now he goes to kids church and loves it!  Another victory!

There are introverts and extroverts. Introverts need a quiet place by themselves to re-energize, extroverts prefer to be with somebody and talk. Both me and my son are introverts, that's why we take breaks in quiet places with very little people. It takes a lot of energy for an introvert to be social or in a stimulating environment, so the more tired they get the more they start to "lose control". Extroverts have a hard time sitting by themselves or playing by themselves. I don't have any experience with extroverts, so there's very little I know about them.

As he gets older he is able to judge how he will react and be on the look out for when he needs to take a break. So church is getting easier as time goes by, praise God! I learned to take breaks on my own. My wife didn't understand it until we started learning about our son, she thought I was just being anti social, or I didn't want to be around the people, or I didn't like the people etc.  At the time I didn't know why I had to get away either, so we kinda had problems with that. Now we both understand why I would/will get up and go outside when we are at a family or friends get together. I guess people sometimes have a weird reaction when I go outside by myself, so my wife will explain that I'm not mad or anything, I just needed some air or something.

It's not all a challenge though. He loves to read, and is able to read several grades ahead. We got him the action bible, which is the major stories of the bible written like a comic book with pictures and all. Its a pretty thick book, but he read it in a week. He could read a 100 page book in a day in fourth grade.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow, brother, this reallly is quite awesome and informative indeed!

In reality unless strongly compelled though, like someone threatening to cut my little toes off with a Wal-Mart fillet knife, in some areas, this young son of yours (ten now isn't it?) sounds like he is much more astute according to the details than I am at the other end of middle age!

Of course now we might want  to use a more correctable type case study rather than old SAE though.

You know bro.?

Kinnda sounds like a poem attempting to start up again.

sAe ><>###

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:20:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How has it done so? That's quite the opposite reaction from what I would expect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This journey has taken me closer to God than ever before.

Why would you expect the opposite reaction?  I've been thinking about this question since you asked it, but really didn't know how to answer it without writing a TLDR. So, maybe if I know your issue or issues I can concentrate on those and discuss those.

Maybe this video answers some questions?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8HgAVenbUU[/youtube]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I read this thread with a lot of interest since my 12 year old was diagnosed aspie. I also share some of the traits, l don't know if I am also AS, but certainly not the same degree as him, and my wife believes he is borderline. I wanted to watch the YouTube video, but got an error message, can you double check the correct URL?  Lastly, is AS recognized as genetic?

D.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Story of Gideon: Judges chapter 6; Led, thought you might  get a little Biblical/Spiritual insight here.

Great story!

Thanks,

SAE
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I read this thread with a lot of interest since my 12 year old was diagnosed aspie. I also share some of the traits, l don't know if I am also AS, but certainly not the same degree as him, and my wife believes he is borderline. I wanted to watch the YouTube video, but got an error message, can you double check the correct URL?  Lastly, is AS recognized as genetic?

D.
View Quote

From what I have learned it's not uncommon for the parents to have traits, but they haven't gone so far as to say that it's hereditary or genetic. It's actually a neurological disorder and not a mental disorder, as some might think. Whether that makes a difference of it being classified as genetic or not, I'm not really sure. I'm not sure they know enough about it yet as the symptoms, or traits, are across a broad spectrum.

I have a website that lists links to the top 100 websites on AS if you are interested.

The YouTube video is actually a music video, it doesn't have anything to do with AS. I posted before I left for church and was in a hurry, I'll check it out when I get home.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Story of Gideon: Judges chapter 6; Led, thought you might  get a little Biblical/Spiritual insight here.

Great story!

Thanks,

SAE
View Quote

I know I've read it, but it's been awhile,so I'll have to refresh myself when I get home. I also have an update that happened this morning at church. I'll post it a little later.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I know I've read it, but it's been awhile,so I'll have to refresh myself when I get home. I also have an update that happened this morning at church. I'll post it a little later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great story!

Thanks,

SAE

You go brother, I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!

I just love the Christian high drama and especially on the Sabbath don't you know!

Jimmie
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

From what I have learned it's not uncommon for the parents to have traits, but they haven't gone so far as to say that it's hereditary or genetic. It's actually a neurological disorder and not a mental disorder, as some might think. Whether that makes a difference of it being classified as genetic or not, I'm not really sure. I'm not sure they know enough about it yet as the symptoms, or traits, are across a broad spectrum.

I have a website that lists links to the top 100 websites on AS if you are interested.

The YouTube video is actually a music video, it doesn't have anything to do with AS. I posted before I left for church and was in a hurry, I'll check it out when I get home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

D.

Alright, i checked the link and it works from my computer but not from my phone.  It's probably an easy fix, but I don't know how to do it.

The link is a MercyMe song called "Bring the Rain"
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I just love the Christian high drama and especially on the Sabbath don't you know!

Jimmie
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great story!

Thanks,

SAE

Jimmie

First, let me give a little background of Aspies and social skills, or lack there of.  One of the most telling traits of an aspie is their lack of social skills, or their social awkwardness.  This is really noticeable in kids, and they have to be taught social skills that most of the time comes natural to "normal" people.  Teaching these skills is too much to get into here, but they can be taught and by adulthood the aspie can be capable of getting along well enough socially.  But, just because they look okay on the outside doesn't mean that they are okay on the inside.  For me it is extremely exhausting to be around a bunch of people, especially ones I don't know, and when you couple that with having to talk too, it's almost unbearable.  That's why I am a more "behind the scenes" volunteer at church.  As I stated in an earlier post, I'm an introvert which means that it drains me of energy to be around large groups of people and noise, and I get rest when in a quiet place alone or with a couple other close friends or family.  As I have gotten older I have been able to go longer periods of time while tollerating these things.  I mean like several hours compared to an hour or so.

Well, it looks like God has a different plan for me than to be a "behind the scenes" volunteer.  I guess He is wanting to take me into deeper waters, so to speak. I guess it's time for me to grow some more.

Here's the story:  Church service starts at 10:45 and me and my family got there about 10:20 just like always.  Well, a greeter (host team) that I always make a little small talk with came to where I was sitting and asked if I would be interested in volunteering with the host team.  Not a big deal, right?  Except that our church seats about 4500 people, and the service I would be volunteering for is usually full!  This kind of thing is totally out of my comfort zone, but I am going to do it.

SAE, I read the first paragraph of Judges 6 I remembered it and had to start laughing!  This fits perfectly!  On a smaller scale, at least.  Although I'm not called to lead an army, I am being asked to do something that is probably my biggest weakness (and fear).  But hey, when I am weak, then He is strong!  

Are these three things that happened these past couple days coincidence?:
1. I started this thread because I felt God wanted me to share a little of my story.
2. I was asked to do something that is way out of my comfort zone, which has to do with Aspergers
3. SAE posts up encouraging scripture that has to do with what I was asked to do at church, without any knowledge of what I was asked to do.  I was asked at about 10:40 and he posts the scripture at 12:49.
I don't see it as a coincidence, I see it as God working in and through my life, calling me to do things where I have to rely solely on Him.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:21:03 AM EDT
[#20]
In case anyone is interested, nationalautismresources.com is a good place to get things like weighted blankets (not cheap), books, toys, etc.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know how I've missed this website, but a doctor informed me of it today. It's called aspergerexperts.com. It's 2 guys that are 22 years old that have AS, and they describe things from an Aspie's point of view. It may be my new favorite AS website.

ETA: if anyone else has any websites they like concerning AS or HFA please feel to post them in here. We can never be too educated.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:00:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Another very informative web site is phdinspecialeducation.com/autism-aspergers/
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I've only gotten two replies so far, and that has got me thinking:
1. There's not many people out there that have AS, or don't know that they or someone they know has it.
Or
2. They are reluctant to post for some reason, and that's okay.

For the first group I'd like to say that if you feel there's something just not right with you or one of your family members, or something I've described in here hits close to home, then checkout some of the sites I posted and do some research. AS won't go away (unless the Good Lord makes it so), but it can be treated with the right tools.

For the second group I'd like to say that I was very reluctant to start this thread. I really didn't want to let people know of any of my "problems", but God  really pressed me on this. It really does help to talk with others that are in your same situation. I've been blessed to have an awesome support system for my family. I hope this encourages someone that feels lost and alone, that maybe has just gotten a diagnosis of AS or HFA (high functioning autism) and doesn't really know what to do next.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:42:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I would think that few people knew this unless they were researching it, but Robin Williams was thought to have bad AS. Now, I'm not suggesting that it was the AS that caused the suicide, I have no idea what caused it. But, the reports are that he was dealing with depression, and depression is a real problem for people with AS, especially kids. It is not uncommon for kids with AS to be victims of bullying, as they are different than neurotypical kids. The "normal" (neurotypical) kids don't understand that there is something wrong with the AS kid and, kids will be kids. Thoughts and even talk of suicide from an AS kid is not unheard of because of the depression they have from being bullied and lack of capability of forming real and meaningful relationships with their peers.

Adults with AS are not much different, most of the time the bullying has stopped but not being able to form meaningful relationships takes its toll. Then depression sets in. I have no idea of the cause of Robin Williams depression, but this could be a reason.

This is just another reason for people with AS, or parents of a kid with AS, to educate themselves. Seeking help from a psychologist and therapist that are knowledgable of AS can make a huge difference.

Christians are not immune to depression either. I have been a Christian for over 20 years but still dealt with issues and mild depression at times. Mostly I didn't understand why I was so much different than others. I thought I could make myself be "normal" and when I couldn't, it was another failure. It wasn't until the last few years that I learned what was going on with me. Since then, I can now rest knowing that God is not holding this against me and He loves and accepts me. I can even make fun of myself to my wife and we have a pretty good laugh. She'll even point things out to me, like when I'm fidgetting around in church because I'm a little uncomfortable, and we just look at each other and laugh.

With age I have learned how to act and function in the real world, but I have to give all the credit to God.  Without His love and grace I could easily be deep into depression.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Awesome read! Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top