Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 12:30:33 PM EDT
Been going through celebrate recovery to deal with past religious and home abuse. Been doing well but as of late I am just tired of seeing the Christians that seemingly get it all while the rest of us trudge through life, bloody and scarred so to say. I'm tired and I know I can rest but I am just plain out tired.
It's one thing after another and when it sees like it is going to be okay, something else happens. Yet something, somehow tells me to keep going and at the same hand I reminded of

11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like you're on the right path. Blessings and Peace to you. Just remember old Job, and keep your faith..
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Not enough for me to say much on.  How would you describe Christians who "get it" vs. "the rest"?  What differences do you feel?

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not enough for me to say much on.  How would you describe Christians who "get it" vs. "the rest"?  What differences do you feel?
View Quote

living on top of the world to where it seems fake.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#4]
If you haven't, you need to surrender everything to Christ. Be prepared to walk away from all of your things. Don't be jealous of what others have or appear to have received. Don't hold on to a pet sin. Don't hold on to your own will. God may be using this time to show you something.

(Matthew 11:28-30) 28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

(James 1:2-8) Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. 4 And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6 But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, 8 being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

(Psalm 66:16-20) 16 Come and hear, all you who fear God,
And I will declare what He has done for my soul.
17 I cried to Him with my mouth,
And He was extolled with my tongue.
18 If I regard iniquity in my heart,
The Lord will not hear.
19 But certainly God has heard me;
He has attended to the voice of my prayer.
20 Blessed be God,
Who has not turned away my prayer,
Nor His mercy from me!

(Proverbs 3:5-6) Trust in the Lord with all your heart
   and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
   and he will make your paths straight.

(Philippians 4:4-9) Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! 5 Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. 6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. 9 The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:32:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are we talking televangelist "top of the world" fake?  Or something else?

Realize there are fakes who use the lord to live well and exploit others for their own gain.  They will have their judgement.  It should only strengthen your relationship with Christ to know that your reward through persistence in him is eternal, and not temporal like those who use him as a money making product.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]
If I may, I recommend Ecclesiastes.  It is my favorite book of the Bible.  When I get caught up with how bad things are, and I see other Christians seeming to have everything together, I start to worry about what's going wrong with my life.  Then I read some Ecclesiastes and remember that there's nothing out of the ordinary when things suck, and I (oddly enough, according to my wife) feel better.

If Ecclesiastes feels a little dark for you, my second suggestion is Hebrews.  That book is chock full of little encouragements for me.

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
View Quote

Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. Moreover,
we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them
for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live!
They
disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God
disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness.
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
In my experience there isn't anyone who has it ALL together, they just have different problems. If you are a Christian and there isn't some kind of struggle in your life, then maybe you're not doing something right. Our struggles are what makes our faith stronger. It's kind of like working out.  Do we get physically stronger by watching people workout, or just by going to the gym?  Of course not, we have to get under the weights and struggle with them. Sometimes God brings us to things so that we are forced to rely on Him to bring us through them, trusting Him to carry us. In turn, we realize God's strength and trust Him that much more. Sometimes He is preparing us for some kind of work He has for us in the future. Maybe it's to help someone that will have the same problem, or just strengthen your faith. When I have those "what are you doing God?" moments(everyone does, people are lying if they say they don't), then I go to God and say something like "God, I don't know what's going on or why this is happening and I would like to know. But, if You are not going to show me then I pray that your will be done. I know You love me more than I can fathom, so I trust that this is the best for me".  Then rest in The Lord knowing that he works all things out for the good for the ones that love Him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you guys for the input, I really appreciate it. I have been thinking about this post since I put it up. I believe somehow someway it is going to be okay because without storms we wouldnt grow to be who God made us to be and if we become bitter it becomes a burden. I thought of many times I could of become bitter or jaded but I know that won't help and even if I hold onto a small glimmer of faith so to say, the storm passes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Even those people who appear to have it all together have their own struggles and crosses to bear.

People may not show you what they show god.

I sometimes get that sort of thing. That my life's going great, we never miss mass and are involved. Hooray me.
Of course, those outward signs of faith also helped show how lousy my "inward" signs are. Pray for those "perfect Christians". They may need it more than you think.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Even those people who appear to have it all together have their own struggles and crosses to bear.

I sometimes get that sort of thing. That my life's going great, we never miss mass and are involved. Hooray me.
Of course, those outward signs of faith also helped show how lousy my "inward" signs are. Pray for those "perfect Christians". They may need it more than you think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There's a lot to this idea, IMO.

It's easy to think that the high moments of our faith lives - the moments of great joy and feeling particularly close to God - are the moments that define our faith.  Such a thing is quite popular in modern - what one might call New Age - religiosity, this idea that religious belief exists to draw us somehow 'closer to God', a closeness which will somehow express itself in the form of gratification we might refer to as 'joy'.

The reality may be that such moments are nothing more than the froth of our spiritual lives - like the dessert item after a satisfying meal - and that the real substance of our faith lives is to be found in the moments where we persist DESPITE the lack of gratification.

[God] leaves the creature to stand up on its own legs, to carry out from the will alone duties which have lost all relish.  It is during such trough periods, much more than during the peak periods, that it is growing into the sort of creature He wants it to be.  Hence the prayers offered in the state of dryness are those which please Him best. . . . He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there He is pleased even with their stumbles.  Do not be deceived, Wormwood.  Our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys.

C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

The Book of Job is illustrative here.  Loving God's blessing - the instances where we are externally inspired - is not the same as loving God, which is something we do through persisting in the practice of faith in the face of discouragement.

In other words, our faith is defined, not by involuntary and incidental moments of sentiment, but by sustained and deliberate acts of will.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I reminded that this soon will pass even though my health is in yoyo state right now but it's all for a bigger purpose.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:30:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Well said, Paris-Dakar.

This is one thing that I'm learning. Our faith should not depend on emotional experience and spiritual consolations (easier said than done ).  The Lord tests us like he tested Job by taking away (for a time) our comfort and happiness in our spiritual and worldly lives. St. John of the Cross says that at first we are fed on milk and enjoy the warm comfort of a mothers bosom, but then comes a time to learn to walk and eat solid foods, and it all seems quite disagreeable to us at the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top