Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2014 9:54:42 AM EDT
I'll admit this is a strange question, but it's been prompted by people I've come across.since I've been shooting.

I know a number of very conservative families - Protestant and Catholic. Wives homeschool the multiple children, don't work outside the home, very submissive to their husbands. Thehusbands are very into.shooting. The men work full time jobs, some with a lot of overtime, and are gone as much as 12-14 hours daily. So, while the men take their roles.as the family protector very seriously, they are not there for long hours weekdays. Several of the wives have been forbidden from touching a firearm, period. The others are mostly of the mindset that why should they, that's what the men are for. When I point out the men are gone so.much, they should know how to work a shotgun at least, I get very confused reactions.from the women.

So all that to ask - how common are these sorts.of attitudes? I just don't get being that passive (which may be while I'm still single) or refusing to take personal responsibility. You would think the women wouls at least want to be able to protect their children.

I'm a pretty conservative Christian myself, but the thinking of the men forbidding their wives from being able to protect themselves/their children in the husbands' absence or mothers not wanting to protect their children is just totally alien to me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Any man that forbids a grown woman from doing something has got a screwed up attitude. I don't care what religion they are.

Any woman that listens to him has problems too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I definitely want my wife to be able to defend herself and the kids.

Are you sure it's because of there religious beliefs?  The guys may just be control freaks or the women may think it makes them less of a woman, or both.

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally spend time with my wife and work on weapons manipulations so she has some level of comfort if she needs to use one. I am home more than most husbands as I am self employed so that helps, but at the end of the day my wife is a fighter and I feel sorry for anyone who comes in my home with ill intent wether I am here or not.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I would love for my wife to get into firearms and have encouraged and invited her to do so.  Unfortunately she was raised in an environment (CA and IL) where guns were taboo and she's never warmed up to them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I was raised in a very conservative Christian family and environment.   Most of my friends Moms growing up would go shooting with their husbands, some even hunting.

I have encouraged my wife to embrace gun culture, she's a recovering Comufornian.  She's taking her CCW class next weekend.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll admit this is a strange question, but it's been prompted by people I've come across.since I've been shooting.

I know a number of very conservative families - Protestant and Catholic. Wives homeschool the multiple children, don't work outside the home, very submissive to their husbands. Thehusbands are very into.shooting. The men work full time jobs, some with a lot of overtime, and are gone as much as 12-14 hours daily. So, while the men take their roles.as the family protector very seriously, they are not there for long hours weekdays. Several of the wives have been forbidden from touching a firearm, period. The others are mostly of the mindset that why should they, that's what the men are for. When I point out the men are gone so.much, they should know how to work a shotgun at least, I get very confused reactions.from the women.

So all that to ask - how common are these sorts.of attitudes? I just don't get being that passive (which may be while I'm still single) or refusing to take personal responsibility. You would think the women wouls at least want to be able to protect their children.

I'm a pretty conservative Christian myself, but the thinking of the men forbidding their wives from being able to protect themselves/their children in the husbands' absence or mothers not wanting to protect their children is just totally alien to me.

View Quote

I will be the first to stick out and say I don't want my wife to shoot... I have a gf that is dieing to get an ar and shoot with me but I just don't want that.... why ? well I do enough things with her for one and this is something I don't want to share, its my hobby and past time... I don't use and won use any of my guns for self defense... for one its what 911 is for and for two  no matter what the situation  if you shoot some one you will be going to jail until its all straightened out, your guns most likely will all be taken until then as well, so its better to just have a safe room to hide in until 911 arrives unless you insist on being GI-Joe or GI_jane

not only that but I don't think many girls really have the mental mind set  hell I don't even thing I would have the mental mind set  to shoot some one in the face, so I vote take the gun out of the girls hand and insert a spatula
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Guns aren't my wife's thing, she doesn't mind them but isn't into them.  I make a polite request with my wife (which is politely fulfilled) each year to go out with the AR-15 and refresh her on it.  She's a great shot, and I believe she has enough knowledge to employ the rifle or a pistol if needed.  I can't imagining suppressing or neglecting her knowledge and training on how to emply firearms for defense of herself or the family if needed.

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#10]
As a product of the homeschool environment I can attest  to the fact that while it has the potential to be the single best form of education available… it also attracts some of the most oddball men and women available.
It’s not just the men; several of the most extreme cases I’ve ever encountered have been dominate women/wives who rule the family as if it were their own personally managed utopia.
Jesus saves us from sin and tells us to send our kids out into a dying world to love and serve broken people.
Jesus is not about walling off a family unit and controlling other Christians to try and create a temporal paradise on a terminally sinking ship.
Some kids would be better off getting their head chopped off by Islamic  terrorists while fulfilling the great commission…than living with a christian terrorist mother who mentally breastfeeds them until she dies.
Check into the number of dictators and human monsters that have been created out of legalistic “christian” environments.
Legalism can be ugly and destructive.

One of the most effective terminations of a dictator in the Bible came from Mrs. Jael, when she quickly dispatched Sisera by pounded a tent stake through his skull.
Seems like another lady dispatched Abimelech by caving his head in with a millstone.
Men, don’t make you ladies use household implement to fend off evil bastards…. arm them with effective firepower and cool tactical gear.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife and I are pretty conservative, some here might say very conservative. My wife is willing to shoot and takes responsibility for defending our home while I'm gone (although she hasn't made the decision to CC yet).

I'll say that our congregation has a very low amount of people that even believe in using guns for self defense, men or women. I applaud anyone willing to take responsibility for their personal safety.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#12]
As the head of our household I required my wife to be at least willing to use a firearm to defend herself, kids and if I'm knocked out myself (quigley down under really sunk in to me - crazy coras story). Because "Trust" is number 1 after God in our relationship she respected my request.

Because she is my equal I trained her and empowered her to be able to defend herself with or without me. She walks different than most women because she knows she can take care of herself, she has her own guns that she maintains and operates, she picks out her own guns.

Her request is to wring out the sponge on the kitchen sink when through using it - I do this as it's a 2 way street

I never required it to be her hobby, I just needed to know she was safe when I was away - I sleep very well when I travel - so does she.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Deleted

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Wife grew up in Dutch Christian Reformed Church, she lead me to Christ and now we attend a non-denominational Church. I would say I am more conservative then her but when it comes to firearms she is something to reckoned with. All three of our kids as well. (20,18 &10 yrs old) Her personal choice is a Auto Ordnance 1911. She tells me she likes the .45 power and a 1911 is just plain sexy. Here are some pics for you. I think the finger nail polish works well with the M4.

My daughter and I building her first rifle. XM177E2

Bonus she loves Hockey too.

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Eve was formed out of the rib of Adam. She was intended to be his helpmate. If you can't carry your own stuff, then you are not helping. This includes defense for the family. Let me tell you, in the wild, none is more violent, more aggressive, and more likely to kill you, than a mother with children. Stating that your woman does not have the 'stones' to shoot someone, means you are ignorant. Motivation is the key. Sun Tzu (The Art of War) has proven repeatedly that it only requires the proper motivation. As for refusing to accept or teach it, belongs to the owner.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any man that forbids a grown woman from doing something has got a screwed up attitude. I don't care what religion they are.

Any woman that listens to him has problems too.
View Quote

First response and all that...
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I will be the first to stick out and say I don't want my wife to shoot... I have a gf that is dieing to get an ar and shoot with me but I just don't want that.... why ? well I do enough things with her for one and this is something I don't want to share, its my hobby and past time... I don't use and won use any of my guns for self defense... for one its what 911 is for and for two  no matter what the situation  if you shoot some one you will be going to jail until its all straightened out, your guns most likely will all be taken until then as well, so its better to just have a safe room to hide in until 911 arrives unless you insist on being GI-Joe or GI_jane

not only that but I don't think many girls really have the mental mind set  hell I don't even thing I would have the mental mind set  to shoot some one in the face, so I vote take the gun out of the girls hand and insert a spatula
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.     That is very sad.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't speak as a Christian since we are religious Jews, but many religious Jewish women shoot.  I am not talking about the Hollywood/NYC, etc. liberal Jewish community, but the Orthodox and Conservative communities.  Many have women relatives that are/have been in the IDF.  My wife is an extremely busy MD and we still make time to shoot every week.  She has also taken training classes from the top names and we have multiple classes upcoming.  Our feeling is that it could take two to defend home and children so she has to be able to handle herself.  I am not always around.  What about if something happens in a parking lot when she is alone?

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I can't imagine a scriptural basis for not allowing your wife to handle firearms and be willing to use them defensively, outside of being a pacifist, which would preclude the original question in the first place.

I'm what most would consider a "fundamentalist" Christian (depending on how they mean that), and I repeatedly quiz my wife on where the loaded weapon is, how to operate it, and the conditions for its use.

That said, I hope to God she never has to use it. She is sweet as sugar and has a heart of gold, and I really think it would crush her to hurt someone like that. Still better than the alternative, of course. We also don't have kids though, and I imagine that once that happens, she would do a mag dump on anyone who tried to hurt one of her babies.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, I met my wife in the Army (as in were both soldiers)  BUT even if she wasn't already a crack shot - better than me alot of the time lol - I would still want her to shoot.  

I love firearms.  I share them with everyone I care about.  That definitely includes my wife.  I want her able to defend herself if Im not home or to be a reliable partner if I am.  And she is

I have absolutely no tolerance for assholes who demean women in the shooting world.  You know the type.  They are easily identified by such useless bullshit as 'a 22 or 38 special is the best handgun for a woman because a bigger gun would scare her'  Or 'just get a revolver because it takes alot of strength to rack the slide of a pistol'  ??? WTF   maybe on my BRAND NEW Les Baer lol but my glocks are easy as hell to rack.  

I actually was arguing with an old lady who was 'trained' with her husbands old snubbie and she refused to try modern handguns because she was sure she 'would be unable to carry a big heavy gun or rack the slide'  Eventually I had to give up.  Was as pointless as arguing with a libtard about the problems with liberalism.  Once established, bad habits take an act of heaven to be corrected.

Oh and if anyone cares, Im Mormon and my wifes Baptist.  Hard to imagine two faiths more diametrically opposed to ours yet we still carry around the house all the time with no 'AD's  lol
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#21]
It is a husband's duty to ensure that his family is protected, even when he is out of the home.

I wouldn't deny my wife access to a firearm anymore than I would deny her the use of a fire extinguisher. However, I'm not a Christian so I can't speak to your OP.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I haven't been on this forum for that long, but this is the opposite of the attitude I expected here, and it makes me feel like rage barfing. I wish I knew who your gf was so I could tell her to run as fast as possible away from you.

One of the first things my husband did when we met was arm me and teach me to shoot. As a woman, we go around much of our lives feeling vulnerable without even realizing it. Now that I'm armed, I feel infinitely more confident and secure. I work in a shitty neighborhood in a big city, and even though it's against company policy, I carry a gun with me at all times. The nearest corporate office is hours away and no one here knows I'm packing. I work late hours sometimes, and sometimes I'm the only one here, and I'm not going to die with my pistol 30 yards away in my truck because some HR department in L.A. put a "no guns" rule in the company handbook. And if someone finds me out and gets pissed, well, I'd rather be fired than dead.

My husband wants me armed as hell at all times, because he loves me, and he knows I am far more likely to stop an attack myself than the cops are.

OP, the attitude you're describing is alien to me, and I know a lot of conservative Christians. I'm a libertarian Catholic myself, and I know a few pacifist Catholics, but most of them are Europeans. I don't know any shooting husbands who don't want their wives touching guns, and frankly, I don't want to.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL
I am pretty sure my wife would shoot you if you tried to insert a spatula in her hand.
It wasn't to long ago she told me we needed to have more guns scattered around the house in case we had a break in.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:25:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The first part is selfish and very much like my husband was towards golf. I loved to play but I ... as his wife... clearly got the message that this was something he did with the guys and I was not to be a part of it. I can handle that and we are still married and he  has his space. It's a respect thing for me. I too was raised by very conservative family of democrats ( this is an oxymoron now but back in the 50 and 60's the party platforms were completely different then they are today.)

Please pay close attention to what I am about to say. (An apology to those who have to hear this again) I WISH when I was being raped and beat... that I had known how to protect myself. If  had been TRAINED to use a gun properly to include situation awareness and have that mindset, there may have been a different outcome. For you to assume that women don't have the mental mindset to shoot someone in the face, is absolutely erroneous thinking that needs reconsideration.

The wounds have healed long ago but I will never feel safe again. Never. It wasn't the actual physical wounds, but all the other things that were taken from me that day. That doesn't go away.

I carry a weapon. My beautiful daughter  can  shoot and has gone through several training sessions to teach her how to protect herself. You cannot KEEP HER SAFE at all times. She has to do that herself. You are supposed to keep your wife safe. Keeping her safe means... teaching her to defend herself when you are not there. You are failing as a spouse if you think otherwise.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As a product of the homeschool environment I can attest  to the fact that while it has the potential to be the single best form of education available… it also attracts some of the most oddball men and women available.
It’s not just the men; several of the most extreme cases I’ve ever encountered have been dominate women/wives who rule the family as if it were their own personally managed utopia.
Jesus saves us from sin and tells us to send our kids out into a dying world to love and serve broken people.
Jesus is not about walling off a family unit and controlling other Christians to try and create a temporal paradise on a terminally sinking ship.
Some kids would be better off getting their head chopped off by Islamic  terrorists while fulfilling the great commission…than living with a christian terrorist mother who mentally breastfeeds them until she dies.
Check into the number of dictators and human monsters that have been created out of legalistic “christian” environments.
Legalism can be ugly and destructive.

One of the most effective terminations of a dictator in the Bible came from Mrs. Jael, when she quickly dispatched Sisera by pounded a tent stake through his skull.
Seems like another lady dispatched Abimelech by caving his head in with a millstone.
Men, don’t make you ladies use household implement to fend off evil bastards…. arm them with effective firepower and cool tactical gear.
View Quote

Having went to church all my life and having been homeschooled at times. All I can say is pretty much this^.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:52:23 AM EDT
[#27]
thats crazy.

my wife packs a .38 and 2 speed strips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top