Site Notices
Page / 348
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By slows2k:

It's hydraulic body motion control, and unlike the MB active suspension doesn't break ;)
View Quote

My favorite conversation with a customer "sir, your sway bars are leaking."
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:55:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: saturnstyl] [#3]
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
It's hydraulic body motion control, and unlike the MB active suspension doesn't break ;)

They use those swaybars now on the gl.  It's much less expensive than the full blown active body control.  There is at least one bulletin about it but I've not seen one fail yet.  Then again I doubt it's very common either.  

A vehicle with the "full version" active body control doesn't have sway bars.  It doesn't need them.  Supposedly the latest version doesn't just stay level in a curve  it will actively lean in to it slightly.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By saturnstyl:

They use those swaybars now on the gl.  It's much less expensive than the full blown active body control.  There is at least one bulletin about it but I've not seen one fail yet.  Then again I doubt it's very common either.  

A vehicle with the "full version" active body control doesn't have sway bars.  It doesn't need them.  Supposedly the latest version doesn't just stay level in a curve  it will actively lean in to it slightly.

View All Quotes

It is a slow leak when I see it on BMWs.  Typically not enough to really do anything about.  But every once and a while a customer needs a 1400 swaybar and a bleed of the system.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
This Saturday, like any other I have to work, sucked.  

Watched the "express service" loobers knock out all the services, while the rest of us did shit work all day.  Writing estimates as long as three pages, which failed to bear any fruit.  

As a whole, last week was an absolute disaster.  I'm not sure we did 400 hours total.  Weather, taxes, Christmas bills, blame it on whatever you want but the work just isn't there right now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Same here buddy. Slow as hell this month. Barely over 40k in sales for the month. And fuck saturdays.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Things picked up a bit today, but we are expecting more snow at the end of the week.  

Got an old ass ML320 with a strange traction control problem.  I'm beginning to wonder if I'm chasing bullshit and she needs to fix the mismatched tires and worn tie rod end before we can go any further.  

Purge valve on a GLK.

Seatbelt ordered on a 2015 CLS.

Software updates on various vehicles that take over an hour and pay .3

More diagnosis on stuff people aren't buying.

Got an SLK flagged as a 'comeback" for a brake squeal that I have never touched the brakes on..... same as the GLK check engine light, and I've never worked on it for that....

Today was one of those days that seemingly never ends.... worked on more stuff than I can remember.  Have eleven cars awaiting authorization for repairs at the moment.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Got invited to speak at NTI for the third year in a row.  I'll be talking to a large room of hundreds of people about how I'm doing nearly 15 years in to this path.  

Any suggestions as to what topics I should discuss?  

Got the usual driving records, documentation, make sure you learn diesel because there is a bunch of that shit out there now, emissions controls, hybrid, driver assistance stuff....  is there something you wish someone had told you about way back when?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Basic DVOM operation. Quit performing continuity tests. CAN basics. Bluetooth/Audio diagnosis.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
34F and drizzling all day. Changed out the fuel injection pump on a tier 4 D6T. It was sucktastic.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Basic DVOM operation. Quit performing continuity tests. CAN basics. Bluetooth/Audio diagnosis.
View Quote

this book is a kick ass electrical book written by a tech in "tech" language. Check it out. It would be something worth telling people about.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:32:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#12]

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Where do you guys look for jobs at?  I need to hire a journeyman tech at my shop and posted on CL but responce has been very minimal.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:49:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#14]
Where do you guys look for jobs at?  I need to hire a journeyman tech at my shop and posted on CL but responce has been very minimal.
View Quote

Ask one of your tool guys to send you some guys by. More than likley he will send someone that buys some tools and makes their payment like they should. If you have a local tech school you may try there.

Truth is, not many trainable good guys coming into this line of work. I see it every day.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:02:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 86k10] [#15]
View Quote

CL or Indeed. I found my current and last job on Indeed. One thing about CL is I would not respond to a ad if they didn't list their company. There are a lot of ads like that and they want you send them a resume not knowing who you are sending it to or if you even want to work for the company.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By 86k10:
CL or Indeed. I found my current and last job on Indeed. One thing about CL is I would not respond to a ad if they didn't list their company. There are a lot of ads like that and they want you send them a resume not knowing who you are sending it to or if you even want to work for the company.
View All Quotes

That is a good point.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:30:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 86k10] [#17]

That is a good point.
View All Quotes

That is a good point.

It's not just you that has low responses. My company can't hire anyone either. They only had 20 applicants the last go around and they didn't make any offers. They said it was a very low amount  of prospects.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#18]

It's not just you that has low responses. My company can't hire anyone either. They only had 20 applicants the last go around and they didn't make any offers. They said it was a very low amount  of prospects.

View All Quotes

That is a good point.

Weird.  So far the only guy who applied didn't even follow directions.  I stated in the ad that you should include your resume and a time when you are available to interview.  He just clicked respond, attached a resume and nothing else was added to the email.  Sigh.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Got invited to speak at NTI for the third year in a row.  I'll be talking to a large room of hundreds of people about how I'm doing nearly 15 years in to this path.  

Any suggestions as to what topics I should discuss?  

Got the usual driving records, documentation, make sure you learn diesel because there is a bunch of that shit out there now, emissions controls, hybrid, driver assistance stuff....  is there something you wish someone had told you about way back when?
View Quote

I've been doing this for 30 years. I started right out of high school. While in high school I took college prep classes and was in honors classes for Math and Science.  I wish someone slapped the shit out of me and forced me to go to college so I wouldn't be breaking my balls years later for a paycheck.  That's what I tell the young guys that walk into my shop looking for a job.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Scary drive in to work.  I drove a shitty 15 year old honda without abs.  It snowed.  The car was sliding.  One lady at work got into a wreck.  Still managed eight hours and called it quits at 1 since we were closing at 3 and I hadn't done anything in two hours.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Had to babysit one of the FNG's at the shop today. Him and his "mentor" swapped out an engine in a 336E. The injection pump camshaft started to seize in the old engine, tried to lock up, broke some gear teeth in the front geartrain and cracked the front housing, but it kept running for another 30hrs or so and trashed everything so bad that it was cheaper to replace. They've been fighting it for a week trying to figure out high ARD fuel pressure and high unfiltered fuel pressure codes. Took me a little while to find it between about 2hrs worth of other guys calling me for over the phone troubleshooting on other things. One of the two left a plastic plug in the tank return line. Noticed that it would build and hold about 140psi just from the priming pump, spec is 110+-. The ARD fuel pump has a relief at 275psi, but it relieves downstream of 1 way check in its filter base so when it kicked on it would build 4-500psi and the only outlet for that flow was what the engine was consuming.

I loaded up the welder, hydraulic pump, hydraulic rams, and other implements of destruction to go redo all the pins and bushings on the bucket linkage on a 330C tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Dead morning due to snow and as it melted things picked up.  

Diesel check engine light.  Adblue tank heater, software all around for everybody! And both nox sensors.

Took another look at a busted ass old Ml 320.  Wrong mismatched tires and one incorrect size with a bad tie rod will have to be addressed before we can do anything else.

Took online class for new 9 speed auto.  Four planetaries.  Three clutches.  Three brakes.  Looks really simple.  Main pump driven via chain is smaller than needed an  is supplemented by an electric pump.

Some dude brought in an slk 55 he did his own nav install and could not finish.  I hooked up fiber optics and programmed it.  Cluster will not accept option code for nav.  Weird.

Flagged five.  There is 3-6 inches of snow on the ground now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Didn't go in.  Apparently "everyone is there" but there is nothing to do. Fuck that.  Tried rebuilding an old tecumseh carb today.  Messed it up.  New one is fifteen dollars.  I drilled too far when extracting the Welsh plugs and fucked it up.  Probably would have had  to replace it anyway, brass plug for needle was seized and it  some odd size I can't get a grip on.  It has extensive water damage, rusted choke and throttle plates from where it sat with water inside.  Air cleaner was missing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Before leaving yesterday I finished putting a fuel pump in a 92 chevy truck. Backed it out and let it run for about 45mins then went pull it inside and it died and wouldn't restart. Checked it out this morning and the new pump was locked up

solid. Put another new pump in and everything seems fine now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Before leaving yesterday I finished putting a fuel pump in a 92 chevy truck. Backed it out and let it run for about 45mins then went pull it inside and it died and wouldn't restart. Checked it out this morning and the new pump was locked up
View Quote

What brand pump was it?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TOO40GAWLF:

What brand pump was it?
View All Quotes

What brand pump was it?

airtex I bet
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#27]

What brand pump was it?
View All Quotes

What brand pump was it?
carter

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:58:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bullseye100] [#28]
carter

View All Quotes

What brand pump was it?
carter

Airtex has been shit for years and Carter went to shit about 3 years ago. I put a Spectra Premium in a Towncar about a month ago and it appears to have taken a shit too. I'm sick of the fucking junk the parts distributors are selling.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Bullseye100:

Airtex has been shit for years and Carter went to shit about 3 years ago. I put a Spectra Premium in a Towncar about a month ago and it appears to have taken a shit too. I'm sick of the fucking junk the parts distributors are selling.

View All Quotes

What brand pump was it?
carter

Especially with fuel pump where on some cars its a bitch to get at.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#30]
possibly pulling trigger on 2004 zo6 w/z16.  Yay or nay?  50K miles.  Decent shape, not perfect.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

What brand pump was it?
carter

Oh there is a bunch of junk parts being sold right now but I also think the fuel that is sold now is having an effect on theses pump now also. Last month we had two late 80's ford trucks come in with the rubber lines eaten up on their

fuel pumps.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#32]

possibly pulling trigger on 2004 zo6 w/z16.  Yay or nay?  50K miles.  Decent shape, not perfect.
View Quote
Can't tell you yay or nay. We don't see those here in our shop. All I can really say is look at the TSBs and see if there is a bunch of stupid shit or serious common problems.

Good luck I think they are neat cars.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#33]
4.5 out of 5 stars for reliability.  Pretty unheard of for a sports car.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Only issues I have run across on those Corvettes is the column lock.
2004 was the last year of that (I think) and a column lock bypass kit is cheap and very easy to install (20 minutes). Just installed one yesterday as a matter of fact.Wouldn't let the car run over 2 mph because BCM thinks the column lock is still engaged.
Other than that, just normal wear and tear items and installing lots of go faster goodies for customers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

What brand pump was it?
carter

Delphi or AC Delco only...

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Body shop asked me for a rivet gun for aluminum body panels, the new F150 and euro cars............

$7950

have you lost your mind

this company doesn't do any kind of wholesale either
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By jeep450:

Body shop asked me for a rivet gun for aluminum body panels, the new F150 and euro cars............

$7950

have you lost your mind

View Quote
I'm not a body man but there has to be another way.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:12:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gwitness] [#38]
View Quote

My son has an 02 Z06...0nly issue has been the valve springs.....relatively easy fix..not expensive. Fortunately he broke a spring at idle...no damage.

eta...

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#39]

$7950

have you lost your mind

View Quote

A "squeeze" I use something similier  everyday at work.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#40]
'08 S550 4matic.  98K miles.  Was just in for alignment.  15 miles down the road it threw the front driveshaft.  Broke the transmission casing, there is a 8x3" hole in the side of it.  Fucked up all kinds of shit.  We are at $14K in parts alone.  I say its totaled.  We will see what happens.  

Very slowly gathering sight alignment, breath, squeezing trigger carefully on the C5.  Found a new battery from interstate for $85.  Michelin pilot supersports recently released for rear tires.  Things are looking up.  Gonna miss the jetta, but its better to have loved and lost....
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Vetts are know to have oil pressure sending unit problems. Gauge peggs out. So common that there are relocator kits on the net. You have to pull the intake manifold to replace them but it's easy. The relocate kits keep you from having to do that part.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Vetts are know to have oil pressure sending unit problems. Gauge peggs out. So common that there are relocator kits on the net. You have to pull the intake manifold to replace them but it's easy. The relocate kits keep you from having to do that part.
View Quote

Funny you mention this.... I have a customer coming in next week with a pinned oil pressure gauge. Not on a Vette, it's a 05 Silverado 4.8L.  I was thinking oil pressure switch but I haven't seen it yet.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Funny you mention this.... I have a customer coming in next week with a pinned oil pressure gauge. Not on a Vette, it's a 05 Silverado 4.8L.  I was thinking oil pressure switch but I haven't seen it yet.

View All Quotes

Very common problem on all LS engines. It can be replaced without removing the intake (even the Vette) but it is extremely tight in there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

There is a screen under the sensor, check to see if it is plugged up also. My money is on the sensor though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Started off the morning with more black ice warnings, which triggered a lack of work.  Started the fuel contamination job on a C230.  Sounded quick and easy.... And it was.  But it won't start.  Four of the six injectors don't even click, all six seized shut.  Apparently it sat a while with the bad fuel.  

Didn't get much of anything after that. An SLK with a bad differential....  About 4 hours for the day.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Long day.  Drove up to the school and gave my presentation.  Got a lot of props for that.  Then drove back home.  Spent enough time in an e class that my ass hurts.  Stopped by and set up time to get the c5.  I'm going to try to pick up my son from daycare in it.  He is gonna be the coolest kid there on Monday!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Wow. 4 hours for a saturday seems bad. I bet ours average at least 15 plus flagged on Saturdays. Busy as hell since the weather cleared up for a few days. Us 5 advisors wrote about 200 tickets today, did I mention we also do the cashiering? The shop kicked ass timewise today.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle:
Not sure if saturnstyl will hate this or not

http://youtu.be/ri_LFckaT7g
View Quote

The CNC machine to apply sealer at 5:10 was a trip.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top