Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

My 1/4 drive m12 is my money maker.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

I hate powered ratchets with a passion. They always smash your hands into something and never have the torque needed and end up being clumsy in alot of situations. I want to like them as they're a good time saver but every time I try one I hate it.

My 1/4 drive m12 is my money maker.

Our 3/8” m12 has been an absolute time saver, especially for things like the stupid 740C transmission cooler lines that like to blow.  It’s small enough to fit in the area under the cab, and will loosen the clamps in two seconds, wereas using a ratchet take forever because there’s not much “swing room” for the tool and your hand.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

M12 is more useful than 18
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sheltot:

Agreed.  My M12 1/2" drive impact gun is nothing short of amazing on what it will break loose for its size.  I also have an M12 3/8" ratchet that's damn handy as well.
View Quote

Our m18 3/8” impact is used so much, I may buy another one so each of us have one handy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:38:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#6]
I'm a very amateur mechanic. This thing, along with a set of drill and driver bits AND a flex extension that's about 10" long has changed my life. It really makes quick work of those lack-of-swing space and eases the stress on my aging joints.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87660/IMG_0823-2931419.jpg
View Quote

You like that one, try the Surge. It’s “weaker” but I sure can’t tell. The hydraulic coupling takes a ton of the rattle and noise out of it. I used it to put an engine pallet back together, it sounds like a drill that can drive lag bolts. Not as quiet with metal stuff, but I like it a lot.

I’m all in on m12 as well. Some of the guys have m18 1/2 impacts that will put a $700 SnapOn air impact to shame. I haven’t taken the plunge
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:44:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AgeOne] [#8]
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:

Our m18 3/8” impact is used so much, I may buy another one so each of us have one handy.
View Quote

if you have M12 batteries, you really should pick up the 1/2 M12.

Attachment Attached File

Very impressive little tool.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

You like that one, try the Surge. It’s “weaker” but I sure can’t tell. The hydraulic coupling takes a ton of the rattle and noise out of it. I used it to put an engine pallet back together, it sounds like a drill that can drive lag bolts. Not as quiet with metal stuff, but I like it a lot.

I’m all in on m12 as well. Some of the guys have m18 1/2 impacts that will put a $700 SnapOn air impact to shame. I haven’t taken the plunge
View All Quotes
I'm a very amateur mechanic. This thing, along with a set of drill and driver bits AND a flex extension that's about 10" long has changed my life. It really makes quick work of those lack-of-swing space and eases the stress on my aging joints.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87660/IMG_0823-2931419.jpg

When I first got my M18 1/2" mid-torque I was pulling propel motors off of a roller. The mounting bolts are torqued to 600-something and it buzzed them out without a bit of drama. Still going strong 3+ years later.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/317810/20230825_144132_jpg-2931799.JPG

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/317810/20230825_144132_jpg-2931799.JPG

TWSS
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]

TWSS
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

I've accumulated a good amount of Milwaukee. The 1/2" M18 high torque is fantastic. But also have a good amount of M12 stuff too. The die grinders are awesome. I've gone weeks without pulling out my air hose.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the handle of the M12 is too large; accordingly I have just one M12 tool, the right angle die grinder. I think the battery position on Dewalt and Makita's compact tool line is superior to Milwaukee. If either offered a die grinder in 12 volt, I would also buy a compact drill and impact from the same ecosystem.

Otherwise, I fangirl over M18 tools and Rover lights.

Anyway, I came into this thread to ask if the hardwood floors found in dry van trailers can be left exposed to the elements. I would like to replace the deck on an equipment trailer and have access to several salvage dry vans.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AR_DairyFarmer:
I think the handle of the M12 is too large; accordingly I have just one M12 tool, the right angle die grinder. I think the battery position on Dewalt and Makita's compact tool line is superior to Milwaukee. If either offered a die grinder in 12 volt, I would also buy a compact drill and impact from the same ecosystem.

Otherwise, I fangirl over M18 tools and Rover lights.

Anyway, I came into this thread to ask if the hardwood floors found in dry van trailers can be left exposed to the elements. I would like to replace the deck on an equipment trailer and have access to several salvage dry vans.
View Quote

If quality (oak or some other hardwood), then yes. They would still eventually rot but we'd spray down our lowboys w/ BLO about once a year to prolong life. I'd be curious about the thickness though. Vans usually have fairly thin floors since they're not getting loaded as heavily as a lowboy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Should be good to go. Just coat them with some linseed oil to help keep them in good shape.

Even in a dry van, they have to be sturdy enough to hold a forklift and cargo. So, it should hold up on an equipment trailer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:

Should be good to go. Just coat them with some linseed oil to help keep them in good shape.

Even in a dry van, they have to be sturdy enough to hold a forklift and cargo. So, it should hold up on an equipment trailer.
View All Quotes

Our lowboys were 2" thick. The couple vans we had weren't near that thick and they have a lot more crossmembers than the lowboys.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Our lowboys were 2" thick. The couple vans we had weren't near that thick and they have a lot more crossmembers than the lowboys.
View All Quotes

Then he can do double layers to get the thickness.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Where there's a will, there's a way. We loaded our shit reaalllllyyy heavy though. We did a rail cal for one of the metros in Chicago. We were 198k total.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone have a spare $200k laying around? Plus markup I’m sure

Just kidding, it’s sold. We had one when they first came out, then nothing. We’ve sold two this month.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#20]

https://i.imgur.io/FL9a8Js_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Just kidding, it’s sold. We had one when they first came out, then nothing. We’ve sold two this month.
View Quote

WTF is it? Kinda fugly for 200k.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.io/FL9a8Js_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

MB GLS 600, Maybach I think.
Nice rack, classy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:24:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#22]
Originally Posted By Ubaddog:

Nice rack, classy.
View Quote

Yup, GLS Maybach. Biggest SUV we make and only 4 seats. You get in the rear doors and go back to the seats, like a limo. This is the first two tone we’ve had, if it’s going to be silly it should be full silly. 23s, chrome everywhere, crazy paint and all.

Detail guys are a mess. You’d think we pay them to smoke cigarettes instead of keeping cars and their area clean.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Yup, GLS Maybach. Biggest SUV we make and only 4 seats. You get in the rear doors and go back to the seats, like a limo. This is the first two tone we’ve had, if it’s going to be silly it should be full silly. 23s, chrome everywhere, crazy paint and all.

Detail guys are a mess. You’d think we pay them to smoke cigarettes instead of keeping cars and their area clean.
View All Quotes

Nice rack, classy.

Good help is hard to find, good prep guys that are there pretty sober everyday are harder to find.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Good help is hard to find, good prep guys that are there pretty sober everyday are harder to find.
View Quote

Bruh, I’ve seen hourly pay for those jobs around here.  They’d be lucky I wasn’t smoking a cigarette while prepping the car for what they pay.  You can make the same at hobby lobby and at least see MILFs in yoga pants at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

It is 1 3/8" thick. The question arose because is a laminate; strips of hardwood glued together.

Two inch rough hewn oak from a local saw mill is far too expensive.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:35:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#26]
ya'll wish me luck, next week I am going to tear down the 6F35 on the Fusion. After doing some watching, I think I narrowed it down to the 1-4 clutches being toast, not likely the fluid was dark but didn't smell bad and no metal, or a worn drum or seal on the drum (I know it's not called the drum, but the name escapes me right now) I think the fluid is just pypassing those gears and not allowing it to clamp down, which is why 5-6 and R only work.

I beleive my issues is with the 1-2-3-4 piston/seal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By midcap:
ya'll wish me luck, next week I am going to tear down the 6F35 on the Fusion. After doing some watching, I think I narrowed it down to the 1-4 clutches being toast, not likely the fluid was dark but didn't smell bad and no metal, or a worn drum or seal on the drum (I know it's not called the drum, but the name escapes me right now) I think the fluid is just pypassing those gears and not allowing it to clamp down, which is why 5-6 and R only work.

View Quote

https://www.fortau.com/specifications_description_and_operation-333.html

I’d be looking at that front sun gear and everything associated with it. Benz transmissions generally melt down with a heap of metal in the pan and there’s nothing we can do. I miss tearing them down, that was fun years ago.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#28]

I’d be looking at that front sun gear and everything associated with it. Benz transmissions generally melt down with a heap of metal in the pan and there’s nothing we can do. I miss tearing them down, that was fun years ago.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By midcap:

thanks for the link, the oil in this one smelled good and no metal in it that I could see. I may luck out and it's not a giant glob of steel and aluminum lol
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#29]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48955/2767_png-2932871.JPG

I've accumulated a good amount of Milwaukee. The 1/2" M18 high torque is fantastic. But also have a good amount of M12 stuff too. The die grinders are awesome. I've gone weeks without pulling out my air hose.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Hory sheet.. the landfill finally spent some money on something other than engines and transmissions.

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Did it get the bomb bay doors in the belly pan? Those make it nice to work on underneath.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Did it get the bomb bay doors in the belly pan? Those make it nice to work on underneath.
View Quote

Not sure. Havent had time to crawl under. It was supposed to be here yesterday or the day before. We've got an "iron night" tonight and they wanted it for a static display so I was busting my ass to get the blade mounted before lunch. LGP blade and it literally had an inch on each side going through the door.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

The one we have on our FMC d8 are pretty choice.  The whole pan comes off on our KPZ and MLN.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#34]

The one we have on our FMC d8 are pretty choice.  The whole pan comes off on our KPZ and MLN.
View All Quotes

Does it get in the way of putting a stand under the nose? Would be nice if I could just drop them open instead of having to remove them EVERY TIME it comes in the shop. It probably won't matter and we'll still have to pull them no matter what it's in for.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:44:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#35]
Alright, this one is at least worth the $210 price tag. Magno matte and all blacked out. This is very close to ideal. You can feel it idling from across the parking lot

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:46:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cat-mechanic] [#36]

Does it get in the way of putting a stand under the nose? Would be nice if I could just drop them open instead of having to remove them EVERY TIME it comes in the shop. It probably won't matter and we'll still have to pull them no matter what it's in for.
View All Quotes

The biggest benefit to them is you can open them, clean out the trash and leave them open and then pull forward and they don't drag on the ground.

They should be clear for stands, but you will still have to remove them to pull a converter and such.

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 6:10:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#37]

The biggest benefit to them is you can open them, clean out the trash and leave them open and then pull forward and they don't drag on the ground.

They should be clear for stands, but you will still have to remove them to pull a converter and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZy6T1DdXKE
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZy6T1DdXKE

Fancy

This one has the regular pans w/ the actuators. I get the point of the actuators but they're such a pain when going back on. Seems like they die pretty often too. That's if the wiring isn't damaged from a fire.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I was wrong, it does have bomb bay doors. I couldnt see the seam until I crawled under it today.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 1:54:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#39]
I now have concrete proof that my job is a joke..

My building was built-in 72

We are starting to finally clear out some bs That hasn't been touched in well over 20 years.

I found an old paystub from 1976.

The going labor rate for this building during this time was $40.

This man was payed flat rate on the 50/50 labor scale.

This man who was the lead Tech at the time. Accounting for inflation

He got paid a $100 an hour abouts and pulled 60 hours this particular week.

He retired in 1996

No one makes this in the conglomerate, even the lead guy at BMW and he does not even make fall of 100

To get paid that much to work On vehicles that were effectively tractors by today's standards.

What a sham.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 2:32:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#40]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
I now have concrete proof that my job is a joke..

My building was built-in 72

We are starting to finally clear out some bs That hasn't been touched in well over 20 years.

I found an old paystub from 1976.

The going labor rate for this building during this time was $40.

This man was payed flat rate on the 50/50 labor scale.

This man who was the lead Tech at the time. Accounting for inflation

He got paid a $100 an hour abouts and pulled 60 hours this particular week.

He retired in 1996

No one makes this in the conglomerate, even the lead guy at BMW and he does not even make fall of 100

To get paid that much to work On vehicles that were effectively tractors by today's standards.

What a sham.
View Quote

Eh. I’m closer to $100 than I would have thought. Times change. Labor split is more like 18/82 though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 4:10:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#41]

Eh. I’m closer to $100 than I would have thought. Times change. Labor split is more like 18/82 though.
View Quote

What do you repair exactly anyway? MBs right?

Here I am trying to squeeze $30 an hour out of them

The MB place here starts people at 22 or so here

Cost of living is dirt cheap here
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Switch to heavy equipment and you can easily nearly double your pay.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Idk man, I top out at $31, but I’m government and don’t have to buy tools.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Dealer and union. We only top out at what we can negotiate. At the end of this contract we'll be knocking on the door of $50. Field guys are even more.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Dealer and union. We only top out at what we can negotiate. At the end of this contract we'll be knocking on the door of $50. Field guys are even more.
View Quote

Local cat guys keep asking me to apply.  I’m tempted for the raise, but it’d disappear as soon as I had to buy tools.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Local cat guys keep asking me to apply.  I’m tempted for the raise, but it’d disappear as soon as I had to buy tools.
View All Quotes

Gotta spend money to make money.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

I’m 44. I’d rather spend that kind of money on a 30x40 with a two post lift.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

But you're still gonna need tools.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Dealer and. Field guys are even more.
View Quote

no union here though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#50]

no union here though.
View All Quotes

Dealer and. Field guys are even more.

no union here though.

I'm hit or miss on unions. Mine has been pretty drama-free and does a decent job at getting us what we want. On the other hand, they cause the price of everything in our industry (and others) to skyrocket. Not to mention a lot of the corruption and shit with many.
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top