Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 348
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I was waitlisted for JAX so no I didn't get to go.  Air travel is still a shit show according to my sprinter team lead who had to stay in DC overnight and lost his phone in a taxi.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a brand new tractor in with an intermittent default to park after anywhere between 5 and 50mins of run time. It threw a number of codes, some that made sense, many that didn't; the only ones that helped narrow it down were the .09s. The tech assigned to the WO had many, many hours into the repair at this point and couldn't figure out the issue. I was able to narrow it down to a specific harness, then finally our specific interconnect after about 2 hours. It seems that either the factory or the harness supplier got a little sloppy with their terminals and allowed the male terminal on CAN low to basically miss the female side and only make a half-assed connection and a bad voltage drop. I'm guessing that the discrepancies in time it took to fault to park was based on the bus load and enough missed/unreceived CAN messages.

The male terminal was contacting the underside of this female terminal.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 1:35:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Had one of our brand new D5 fire cats burn up, 54ish hours on it. Operator said it derated on him while running from a change in fire behavior. Only codes in vision link and stored in the tractor were can bus faults and high ambient temp. Ambient temp sensor saw 800*, so no wonder it felt derated, there was probably no oxygen left and the engine was being snuffed out.
No injuries and all of the protective equipment did its job, even when the glass blew out.
Tractor is probably a total loss, but one of my partners is going to check into rebuilding it. I'll post pics if my boss gives me permission.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#4]
4 skid steers from different companies land on the same day. All failed DEF headers and they're all within a couple hundred hours of each other.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
4 skid steers from different companies land on the same day. All failed DEF headers and they're all within a couple hundred hours of each other.
View Quote

Our 938M averages one every 1000 hours
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's been a minute since we've had a failed one come through the shop. Maybe 1 in the last 6-8 months. I'm sure our field guys see quite a bit more though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#7]

It's been a minute since we've had a failed one come through the shop. Maybe 1 in the last 6-8 months. I'm sure our field guys see quite a bit more though.
View Quote

It's always the DEF quality sensor, which is part of the head on that machine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

Yup. All of these were concentration errors but the DEF tested just fine. It's kinda weird cuz ET shows that the concentration is correct.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Yup. All of these were concentration errors but the DEF tested just fine. It's kinda weird cuz ET shows that the concentration is correct.
View All Quotes

Fuckin’ Caterpillar.

Our 836K has had an engine replacement, 2 def headers, and 6 ARD heads, all in less than 6000 hours.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Fuckin’ Caterpillar.

Our 836K has had an engine replacement, 2 def headers, and 6 ARD heads, all in less than 6000 hours.
View All Quotes

Fuckin’ Caterpillar.

We've got a "new" K in the shop right now. Less than 4k hours and is getting a new engine since a new head was months out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#11]

We've got a "new" K in the shop right now. Less than 4k hours and is getting a new engine since a new head was months out.
View Quote

We had the meandering liners issue.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

I'm sure this was something similar as well. I know itt was pushing coolant out, but I don't know what else it was. The new engine decision was made before it even came into the shop.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I figure I post up jn here for some help

2011 f-150 5.0 177k

There’s a upper knock only at normal op temp and only at idle

1000rpm it’s gone and cold engine it’s not there at idle

Verified oil pressure at idle at normal op temp
15 psi as per spec

5w30 oil new filter

whats Next?

is this a lifter issue? VCT issue?

here’s a video

https://youtu.be/UW_zwL7gzYg
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 4:47:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#14]

View Quote

Our current DEF issue is the level sensor. We went to an ultrasonic something depth sensor a while ago, reads depth the the millimeter from the bottom. Apparently they are sensitive to being overfilled, but you just fill it till it’s full, so what’s “overfilled”? Some set a fault, some don’t. Just read 0mm like it’s out of DEF but the tank is full. You can lower it and it will read but goes back to 0mm before it reads “full”.

Not serviceable, needs a $3000 tank. They’re all still under warranty for now, but that will be a hit in a year or two when they’re getting over 5 years old.

We don’t do quality sensors, it’s calculated off NOx values. Shitty DEF (or Blue DEF brand diesel fuel additive in the tank) eventually set an adaptation fault, but it sends you down a worm hole of checking every single thing in the system. Refractometer saves the day.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

Our current DEF issue is the level sensor. We went to an ultrasonic something depth sensor a while ago, reads depth the the millimeter from the bottom. Apparently they are sensitive to being overfilled, but you just fill it till it’s full, so what’s “overfilled”? Some set a fault, some don’t. Just read 0mm like it’s out of DEF but the tank is full. You can lower it and it will read but goes back to 0mm before it reads “full”.

Not serviceable, needs a $3000 tank. They’re all still under warranty for now, but that will be a hit in a year or two when they’re getting over 5 years old.

We don’t do quality sensors, it’s calculated off NOx values. Shitty DEF (or Blue DEF brand diesel fuel additive in the tank) eventually set an adaptation fault, but it sends you down a worm hole of checking every single thing in the system. Refractometer saves the day.
View All Quotes

Just the header is $2900. The pump is about the same price but those don't fail often. The only checks the t/s steps have us do is to check w/ a refractometer and then check the connector for corrosion. Takes all of about 15 minutes including raising the cab.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#17]
So, my dad’s tj hasn’t had any more oil pressure issues or knocking sounds since the time at the off-road park.  Starting to wonder if that last hill was steep and long enough to starve the engine of oil for a short bit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:35:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#18]
Originally Posted By sheltot:

Did you open up the old filter? I didn't listen on headphones, but it sounds deep enough in tone to be rod knock.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sheltot:
Originally Posted By midcap:
I figure I post up jn here for some help

2011 f-150 5.0 177k

There’s a upper knock only at normal op temp and only at idle

1000rpm it’s gone and cold engine it’s not there at idle

Verified oil pressure at idle at normal op temp
15 psi as per spec

5w30 oil new filter

whats Next?

is this a lifter issue? VCT issue?

here’s a video

https://youtu.be/UW_zwL7gzYg

Did you open up the old filter? I didn't listen on headphones, but it sounds deep enough in tone to be rod knock.

I still have it, I’ll
Open it but when I had the oil pan off none were loose. But it’s not a knock lock on the crank, that’s a faster pace, this one is not as fast

And then you really hear it good on the driver side vs the pass sid and there is no noise when I listen to the oil pan or the bottom of the engien.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:13:11 PM EDT
[#19]

I still have it, I’ll
Open it but when I had the oil pan off none were loose. But it’s not a knock lock on the crank, that’s a faster pace, this one is not as fast

And then you really hear it good on the driver side vs the pass sid and there is no noise when I listen to the oil pan or the bottom of the engien.
View Quote

Have you wiggled every single bracket that things are attached to once the engine has warmed up?
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Have you wiggled every single bracket that things are attached to once the engine has warmed up?
View All Quotes

I still have it, I’ll

on the ourside the engine?

I just checked all the things on the accesory drive all tight
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

We had a crazy banging/rattling/thumping noise from the engine on a brand new van. Mostly at idle but kind of there all the time. The AC compressor was loose, loose loose. We’ll probably never see that again, but what a weird noise.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#22]

We had a crazy banging/rattling/thumping noise from the engine on a brand new van. Mostly at idle but kind of there all the time. The AC compressor was loose, loose loose. We’ll probably never see that again, but what a weird noise.
View All Quotes

I'm working on a skid steer w/ some hydrostat issues and the guy was complaining of noise while traveling. The worn-out tracks vibrate the whole machine and the cab roof resonates with the vibration. Put your hand on the ceiling and it goes away. Might be hard to convince him to get new tracks when he sees the bill by the time I'm done w/ it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#23]

I'm working on a skid steer w/ some hydrostat issues and the guy was complaining of noise while traveling. The worn-out tracks vibrate the whole machine and the cab roof resonates with the vibration. Put your hand on the ceiling and it goes away. Might be hard to convince him to get new tracks when he sees the bill by the time I'm done w/ it.
View Quote

I found out a couple of years ago that if you replace a really worn idler, you’re better off doing the whole undercarriage of a D8. New idler plus worn rollers makes it feel like the dozer is going to shake apart.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#24]

I found out a couple of years ago that if you replace a really worn idler, you’re better off doing the whole undercarriage of a D8. New idler plus worn rollers makes it feel like the dozer is going to shake apart.
View All Quotes

Landfill brought one of their 8s to the shop. They must've lost a shoe at some point and all they had laying around was one that had less wear so the grouser was quite a bit taller. Ever drive a dozer with just one taller grouser across concrete? It'll shake your teeth out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

If I had a dollar for every time I've had to convince a customer to buy a new set of tracks, even though the current ones are 'just fine', I'd have... at least 14 dollars.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 7:17:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#26]
So ... power steering leak, have replaced all the hoses and the pump, still leaking. late 90s caddy. Replacing the rack.

nearly 30 years of use and bolts crammed into a corner where you cannot apply anything but muscle and damned if the people at the factory didn't cross-thread the bolts, it's wrench-slip and hands smash the engine or brackets hard enough to shatter bone territory.

... just posting to whinge like a cranky old woman.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:
So ... power steering leak, have replaced all the hoses and the pump, still leaking. late 90s caddy. Replacing the rack.

nearly 30 years of use and bolts crammed into a corner where you cannot apply anything but muscle and damned if the people at the factory didn't cross-thread the bolts, it's wrench-slip and hands smash the engine or brackets hard enough to shatter bone territory.

View Quote

I remember my cousin working on those 90s cars..complete pains.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

When I get the steering rack bolts loose, the next step is ... drop the rear of the engine cradle.

Because, as every mechanic knows, the person who works on the product afterwards absolutely does not matter at all.

Unless some evil weirdo in the factory wants to think of sick ways to make our life even harder.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Been working on a Taylor 300s which is a stumpy little 30k forklift. No start. Hook up inline seven to the backbone which is conveniently located by the damn AC belt. I have to zip tie the inline seven to keep it from getting sucked in. Commanded rail pressure is 14k and actual is 800 psi. I suspect fuel pump is shot but there’s active codes for the injectors. I ohm them all out. They’re good and order a fuel pump.

Get the high pressure  fuel pump installed and it runs. Let it idle for 5 minutes and go to give it the beans. She revs a little and stalls out. Fml.

Troubleshoot that and determine that it’s not pumping again. Remove the fuel pump and I didn’t tighten the nut on hard enough and it slipped. I got lucky it didn’t fall off.

Replace it and fire it up. 30 minutes of running then I go to log data. Give it the beans and I lose my connection and there’s a ruckus. Lost the damn in-line 7 in the ac belt and she’s done exploded. Call the boss tell him. He laughs.

Turn it off. Get the remnants out of the engine area and go to start it up. It’s a hard start. Then when it finally hits there’s an audible knock and white smoke. I was afraid of this. I lost an injector.

I have to pack up and leave empty handed because now I have to wait on an in-line 7.

Yay.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
Been working on a Taylor 300s which is a stumpy little 30k forklift. No start. Hook up inline seven to the backbone which is conveniently located by the damn AC belt. I have to zip tie the inline seven to keep it from getting sucked in. Commanded rail pressure is 14k and actual is 800 psi. I suspect fuel pump is shot but there’s active codes for the injectors. I ohm them all out. They’re good and order a fuel pump.

Get the high pressure  fuel pump installed and it runs. Let it idle for 5 minutes and go to give it the beans. She revs a little and stalls out. Fml.

Troubleshoot that and determine that it’s not pumping again. Remove the fuel pump and I didn’t tighten the nut on hard enough and it slipped. I got lucky it didn’t fall off.

Replace it and fire it up. 30 minutes of running then I go to log data. Give it the beans and I lose my connection and there’s a ruckus. Lost the damn in-line 7 in the ac belt and she’s done exploded. Call the boss tell him. He laughs.

Turn it off. Get the remnants out of the engine area and go to start it up. It’s a hard start. Then when it finally hits there’s an audible knock and white smoke. I was afraid of this. I lost an injector.

I have to pack up and leave empty handed because now I have to wait on an in-line 7.

Yay.
View Quote

Ugh.

Feel that one in my gut.

Reminds me of being just enough timing chain teeth off on a water pump replacement to drop the rear bank of valves into the pistons. Just a lousy feeling.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 8:50:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#31]
The offending part, it's replacement, and where it resides...

The bolts securing the rack to the engine cradle frame were so tight that they stretched coming out (thread pitch changed) and bent.

Factory spec says 50 ft lb. They must have used some thread locker or something on it.

This is what what po-boy used car payments look like.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 5:22:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#32]
$167 1/4” ratchet

We all got $100 gift cards for being wonderful people, free money is always worth blowing. 0* engagement, something about a bearing. It’s really cool.

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

Bolt felt funny going into the alternator. Decided to chase it from the back with my tap. Turns out there’s a heli coil in there.  Neat.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#34]
$167 1/4” ratchet

We all got $100 gift cards for being wonderful people, free money is always worth blowing. 0* engagement, something about a bearing. It’s really cool.

https://i.imgur.io/M9ESZzt_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
View Quote

It uses a sprag-type setup. Grabbing one is always in the back of my head but that price tag makes me leave it on the truck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/D45B190D-776B-4B7B-A2CD-0F5BE06A30BB_jpe-2929727.JPG

Bolt felt funny going into the alternator. Decided to chase it from the back with my tap. Turns out there’s a heli coil in there.  Neat.
View Quote

Usually those and taps don't get along real well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#36]

It uses a sprag-type setup. Grabbing one is always in the back of my head but that price tag makes me leave it on the truck.
View Quote

I picked up the 3/8 one to play with, it’s huge and looks like it belongs on a space ship. I don’t have room for that, but I’ll use the 1/4 for sure.

I didn’t ask the price, kind of figured the $100 would cover it. Oh well, I haven’t had a tool payment in 10 years, $67 for something cool is worth it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#37]

I picked up the 3/8 one to play with, it’s huge and looks like it belongs on a space ship. I don’t have room for that, but I’ll use the 1/4 for sure.

I didn’t ask the price, kind of figured the $100 would cover it. Oh well, I haven’t had a tool payment in 10 years, $67 for something cool is worth it.
View All Quotes

The price on the 1/4" ratchets doesn't seem to scale very well. I grabbed a long-handle flex-head and figured it would be $90. $145 worth a rape later I walk off the truck with a funny walk.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:37:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#38]
I put my new 6 channel stereoscope on the egnein and the noise is 100% coming from the top of the driver side valvetrain right in the area of the phaser and timing chain.

it's a good scope so you can hear the very light tick in there which is normal. but this sounds odd...when I pull the cab I'll have more room to inspect everything.

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#39]
$167 1/4” ratchet

View Quote

I hope they're better than the ones mac used to make. a sprag clutch design.

those things were so nice when they were new.

quickly they just wore.. they would "repair" them under warranty, but that shit never lasted.

your gonna have to keep us up-to-date on if it lasts or not.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:41:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#40]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

quickly they just wore.. they would "repair" them under warranty, but that shit never lasted.

View Quote

I’ll give it a good workout, I have a small Wurth 1/4 I use frequently, but I’m interested to see how this goes.

The switching is a bit finicky. It’s a super short click one way or the other, but it also spins so freely you don’t really know if it worked. There’s a bit of slop if you put any lateral torque on it and it feels gritty. That 100% smooth glide is only straight on.

He said they have a new ratchet coming out next week, it’s 100 teeth vs 88 and the head is thinner. My Matco ratchets are significantly thinner than the SnapOn’s, they don’t last nearly as long though.

New guy is the thickest of them all.

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:22:45 PM EDT
[#41]

I’ll give it a good workout, I have a small Wurth 1/4 I use frequently, but I’m interested to see how this goes.

The switching is a bit finicky. It’s a super short click one way or the other, but it also spins so freely you don’t really know if it worked. There’s a bit of slop if you put any lateral torque on it and it feels gritty. That 100% smooth glide is only straight on.

He said they have a new ratchet coming out next week, it’s 100 teeth vs 88 and the head is thinner. My Matco ratchets are significantly thinner than the SnapOn’s, they don’t last nearly as long though.

https://i.imgur.io/xrPE7Y5_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

https://i.imgur.io/xrPE7Y5_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I got the poor guy version. They are pretty cool when you need a tiny, tiny ratchet.

Amazon Product
  • Set contents: (1) 1/4-Inch Drive x 3-Inch and (1) 3/8-Inch Drive x 4-Inch gearless ratchet

Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:08:44 AM EDT
[#42]

The price on the 1/4" ratchets doesn't seem to scale very well. I grabbed a long-handle flex-head and figured it would be $90. $145 worth a rape later I walk off the truck with a funny walk.
View Quote

I thought about picking those up but I look at the dozens of Snap-On ratchets I practically never use any more and decided to hold off.  99% of the time I'm picking up an air or cordless tool.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#43]
$167 1/4" ratchet

We all got $100 gift cards for being wonderful people, free money is always worth blowing. 0* engagement, something about a bearing. It's really cool.

View Quote
Those are handy, but I brake mine almost every time I use it, they are not ment to torque anything tight.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By defender:

I thought about picking those up but I look at the dozens of Snap-On ratchets I practically never use any more and decided to hold off.  99% of the time I'm picking up an air or cordless tool.
View All Quotes

I hate powered ratchets with a passion. They always smash your hands into something and never have the torque needed and end up being clumsy in alot of situations. I want to like them as they're a good time saver but every time I try one I hate it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:47:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#45]

I hate powered ratchets with a passion. They always smash your hands into something and never have the torque needed and end up being clumsy in alot of situations. I want to like them as they're a good time saver but every time I try one I hate it.
View All Quotes

The best thing I have ever bought is this little ac delco 1/4" coordless ratcher from amazon.

dude...it's a game changer for real

I have giant hands, like palm a basketball size hands, and that thing helps out a ton

I wish I had little asian lady hands thuogh
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#46]

The best thing I have ever bought is this little ac delco 1/4" coordless ratcher from amazon.

I have giant hands, like palm a basketball size hands, and that thing helps out a ton

View All Quotes

They're expensive but I've seen small impacting 1/4 and 3/8 air ratchets that I'd like to try. Since they impact they dont react against you as much as a regular one does.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#47]

They're expensive but I've seen small impacting 1/4 and 3/8 air ratchets that I'd like to try. Since they impact they dont react against you as much as a regular one does.
View Quote

I like my 12v Milwaukee fuel surge impact for running small hardware in and out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By dragoontwo:

I like my 12v Milwaukee fuel surge impact for running small hardware in and out.
View All Quotes

The "problem" w/ my job is that small fasteners are a very tiny fraction of what I encounter. Hose clamps is where I'd use a powered ratchet the most but I can usually get my 3/8 impact in there if needed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:59:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#49]

View Quote

M12 surge driver is my all day tool, set to 2, 3 if something is stubborn. I use the m12 1/4 ratchet as well but not nearly as much. I have the weird m12 “installation driver” with the 1/4 chuck set to 12 for interior work. Click the speed to 1 and lock the clutch will break anything loose that you can muscle.

I try to keep the weird one clean so I don’t set it on a seat and leave a mark, the surge driver is looking pretty beat these days.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

My 1/4 drive m12 is my money maker.

Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top