Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 348
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#1]
If I can get the spindle nut socket on my way home from my real job tonight, I'm going to be replacing the front pads and potentially rotors on the RamCharger. Front left has very little compound left, and is telling me that, along with all of the other drivers nearby. It probably would have lasted a few months longer, but I was dragging a 4k trailer around all weekend.

Also discovered that my trailer harness isn't wired correctly, which isn't a surprise... Trailer tail lights blink when the right turn signal is tripped, but trailer brake lights work fine. I think the previous owner wired it into the wrong wire feeding the signal bulb. The rental place was like "yeah, your right turn doesn't work. You got some lights though. Drive safely!"

So, grey-beards of the Dana 44 axle, are there any tricks I need to be aware of?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By awptickes:
If I can get the spindle nut socket on my way home from my real job tonight, I'm going to be replacing the front pads and potentially rotors on the RamCharger. Front left has very little compound left, and is telling me that, along with all of the other drivers nearby. It probably would have lasted a few months longer, but I was dragging a 4k trailer around all weekend.

Also discovered that my trailer harness isn't wired correctly, which isn't a surprise... Trailer tail lights blink when the right turn signal is tripped, but trailer brake lights work fine. I think the previous owner wired it into the wrong wire feeding the signal bulb. The rental place was like "yeah, your right turn doesn't work. You got some lights though. Drive safely!"

So, grey-beards of the Dana 44 axle, are there any tricks I need to be aware of?
View Quote
Didn't need rotors. Just pads. Super simple pad swap, I forgot how easy it is to do pads on old trucks.

Started to take the whole caliper mounting bracket off, then realized that it couldn't be that hard. Whops, wrong bolt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I was dd for some friends yesterday and the girl whose truck it was asked me what's wrong with her brakes. I could tell the first time I slowed down, pedal pulsing at low speed and a shake at higher speeds. Rotors need to be turned. It's a 2010ish Lincoln pickup(rebadged f150?) Any ideas on the going rate for what it would cost? She doesn't want to get taken advantage of. Turn rotors on truck if possible or new rotors and new pads?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
I was dd for some friends yesterday and the girl whose truck it was asked me what's wrong with her brakes. I could tell the first time I slowed down, pedal pulsing at low speed and a shake at higher speeds. Rotors need to be turned. It's a 2010ish Lincoln pickup(rebadged f150?) Any ideas on the going rate for what it would cost? She doesn't want to get taken advantage of. Turn rotors on truck if possible or new rotors and new pads?
View Quote
Yeah their just rebadged F150's so most parts should fit.  I would just put a set of pads and rotors on it, I haven't turned a set in years. Not saying it isn't possible though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Coronado:

Yeah their just rebadged F150's so most parts should fit.  I would just put a set of pads and rotors on it, I haven't turned a set in years. Not saying it isn't possible though.
View Quote
Turning rotors is for the most part a waste of time these days.  Yes you can do it, but why?  The money you get paid isn't worth the time.  Might as well just replace them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow. Anyone else deal with service writers that have no clue about anything on a car?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome back to the game.

Three people on my team called out sick.  Good thing we weren't terribly busy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jeep450:
Wow. Anyone else deal with service writers that have no clue about anything on a car?
View Quote
Just hired one.  She has never worked in an auto shop before so I am training her in.  I have found that as long as they listen they can be trained to do the job.  I just need to be clear and help with parts on more complex invoices.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:15:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#9]
This guy has been writing service for three years. You would think he just started last week.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Doing a starter on a 3 series.  One of the bolts is very hard coming out, probably cross threaded by the last person in there.  Call the customer to let him know before we go further that the bolt might break and if it does it is going to ad 120 to the invoice to drill and tap the hole and replace that bolt.

He looses his shit.  If we break the bolt then we should fix it.  We should honor our quote for the price of the starter.  That is way too much money for a 3 dollar bolt. 

Sigh.  Ah well, I suppose he will be happier at another shop.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:36:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I was up in NY driving around in the company truck and an oil line failed. I sourced a new one. That line just did not want to fit right. It was the correct part. Took me two hours to install it. Since it was a real pain to install I bought another one in case that one broke. 300 miles later the one I put on it NY broke. So there I am at a truck stop in OH cleaning up oil off of the ground and changing a hot part. Got that one done in an hour. It fit a bit better. I have no idea why the fitment was different between the two. They were the exact same part. After all of that I wasn't mad. I was happy. Sounds strange but knowing that I can still fix stuff and fixing it in a pinch is fun to me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
But im sure he's in your stall 5 times a day asking when that cab-off diesel job will be done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
This guy has been writing service for three years. You would think he just started last week.
But im sure he's in your stall 5 times a day asking when that cab-off diesel job will be done.
Got better yesterday and first thing this morning. 2017 Camaro owner. 5500 miles. Bent LR knuckle and wheel. "Got up Sunday morning and it pulls to the right".

No dick you didn't. No dick it didn't come from the factory like this. Oh really?
You drove it off the lot brand new with the steering wheel almost 1/4 turned to the left? GTFO with that shit. Not warranty. You're paying.

Come in this morning and he remembered overnight what had happened.

His approval yesterday is now turned over to his insurance. I tore it down yesterday.

Fuck you pay me dick.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Got better yesterday and first thing this morning. 2017 Camaro owner. 5500 miles. Bent LR knuckle and wheel. "Got up Sunday morning and it pulls to the right".

No dick you didn't. No dick it didn't come from the factory like this. Oh really?
You drove it off the lot brand new with the steering wheel almost 1/4 turned to the left? GTFO with that shit. Not warranty. You're paying.

Come in this morning and he remembered overnight what had happened.

His approval yesterday is now turned over to his insurance. I tore it down yesterday.

Fuck you pay me dick.
View Quote
Sounds like you're falling right back into the swing of things.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Fuck you pay me I stole from a Facebook group.

Feel free to use it haha
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't do diesel or motor home work.

Pulled 2 diesels and a motor home today. Took to the jr shop Forman and told him to take them off of me.

"Are you not ready to do diesel work"?

Nope. Don't you remember the interview you sat in on with the service manager?

My second week. Not sure right now if he's playing games or if the service writer put it in the computer wrong. There's suppose to be a code just for diesel work.

MDI2 dropped out today for some reason.

Shop Forman jr didn't have time to fool with it. Glad I have my launch scan tool as backup.

He was busy working on a car (2 weeks now) that he still hasn't called testical assistance on to see if there are any reported cases on. Auto park problem on a 17 impala. I think he may be milking it to show he's needed around here.

Computer dispatch sucks. 9 service writers. Oh yea. There's a dispatcher woman as well that's sends out work. Has no clue how to write tickets either.

Seems like this place puts roadblocks up just to mess with you.

Need to look at a previous repair order to see history.

Nope. Techs can't do it because you might get customers information. (What about the glovebox while working on the cars) go find the shop Forman or one of the 2 jr shop formans.

Need to get labor out of all data?

Nope. Go find shop Forman or jr's.

Wtf man.

They can't figure out why work doesn't get out in a reasonable time frame.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#17]
It must be my week to work on convertible tops.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Fuck you pay me I stole from a Facebook group.

Feel free to use it haha
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:13:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#19]
Guy sells front brakes and rotors. Pitman arm, c/v axles on a 340k mile 2500hd.

Doesn't check the ball joints. Can't get it to align. Shop forman gets involved. He finds the ball joints bad after guy says he checked them and he flips out.

Oh yea. What about them brake hoses bub. Naw their ok.

Attachment Attached File

07 piece of junk lifted 2wd Tahoe come in for vibration at highway speeds. Yep.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Dealer owner cooked out today. He has a huge BBQ competition trailer. Good stuff.  

Attachment Attached File

Even has a icecream machine on it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Today we got a trade.  2011 z71 crew cab, lt, 5.3, grey, 37k miles.  Looks and smells brand new inside.  Underneath is quite clean, some mild rust on shocks and stuff because it lived at the coast.  Left rear bumper dented and pushed in, tailgate tweaked and rubs body.  Left front bumper pulled out.  On the way here to trade the dude literally dragged the bed down the side of a bridge abutment and fucked it all up.  Probably a grand in body damage right over the fuel door area, which would need to be repaired because it went deep in to the sheetmetal.  $23,300 OTD.  Deal or no?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds cheap but I don't know. Build it on KBB just to see what they say.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Had 3 waiters all from the same writer all at the same time. Send the bitch a est at 11:09 with upsells. 11:30 get approval on repair but nothing on upsells. 12:06 email about upsells. Hear nothing. Email at 4:47 on upsells, copy shop Forman. 5:17 hear back from her. No to the upsells.

Still waiting on approval from Saturday on rear strut bolts on a impala to do a alignment.

Email on upsells for a different writer Saturday. Nothing today on upsells. All cars are still at the shop.

Wtf is going on at this place.

It's 2 steps forward and 4 steps back.

Makes me want to get a labor grid and start calling customers myself.

Fuck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:34:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#23]
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 5:28:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: saturnstyl] [#24]
I'm confused?  Where did I say I need to fix a rear end?

Were you referring to the white truck I declined due to a failed locking rear differential?  BTDT.  Cost a grand for an aftermarket carrier, then had to have someone install it.  This, on an older suburban with 175K miles on it IIRC.  So a much newer truck with a failed differential does not appeal to me, with 100K fewer miles.  The body damaged truck has near perfect mechanicals, less than half the miles, and the interior is perfect.  The white truck needed body work too, and the interior was effectively trashed in comparison.  So I would choose the lower miles truck with a perfect interior for a few hundred bucks more.  I know a great place for body work.  I don't know of anyone that does differential work.  

I *thought* I wanted a crew cab.  Turns out after driving a few, I don't.  I'd rather have the extended cab with the six foot bed over the crew with the five foot bed.  I'm just investigating my options whenever they turn up.  Seems everything throughout the company is a crew cab right now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:35:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#25]
MB  techs don't build differentials?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Nope.  We exchange them.  We will do seals.  Otherwise it gets a new diff.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Since I left the dealer I've done so much shit that I never had to do before. Articulated truck differential and final drives and drop box, wheel loader complete front axle, transmissions, one on a Volvo and maybe another coming up on a John Deere 544, hydraulic pump rebuilds, a couple in frame engine overhauls on class 8 trucks, bore welding and line boring, welding on thumbs and other attachments, piecing together those 4 3516b genset engines on a swamp drilling barge.

New challenges can be fun.

At the dealer I did troubleshooting and repairs, sometimes engine overhauls but most any other components came out and were sent to the component shop, had shop, weld shop etc
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Rechecked a CPO that was declined due to excessive cost.  Found that the recommendation for  a four wheel brake job and motor mounts were unnecessary.  Had our ASM verify measurements and road test with me.  So it appears we have a team member attempting to sell unnecessary work.  How should this be handled in your ideal world?

*brakes measured at 50% and meet cpo specs (pads 7-8mm, rotors not warped, etc...)
Motor mounts have no visible leakage.  No vibrations present while idling  driving, accelerating or power braking.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#29]
What does the write up and inspection sheet say they are measured at and what does it say about the engine mounts?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#30]
6mm on the pads.  I don't know about the mounts, if anything at all was said.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
6mm on the pads.  I don't know about the mounts, if anything at all was said.
View Quote
About the only thing you can do I think is pull his report and see if what he put on it matches the car. If it doesn't match the car, find out why he put what he did on the inspection.

Then monitor his inspections for 90 days or so.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Monday we get to talk about safety.  Sent a guy to the hospital two weeks ago due to refrigerant oil in eyes, he wears contacts.

Today "beefcake" was dumping gasoline out of a fuel tank directly in to a large plastic oil drain rather than a metal waste gasoline drum with a lid and ground strap.  Not only is this a direct fire hazard but then the fuel in the oil drain ends up in a waste oil collection system that isn't designed to safely handle a large quantity of gasoline.  

We have had severe problems with connectivity to the flash servers for four days now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Lift for the home garage should go in next week.  Floor plate Bend Pak with low pro arms.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Any recommendations for a good home use compressor that can run an impact and die grinder? My 15 year old 40 gallon Oil free Craftsman doesn't cut it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#35]
My dad had what sounds like the same compressor.  It threw a rod.  Good thing nobody was in the garage when it went because metal pieces went everywhere at high velocities.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#36]
YRC has lost an 1800lb 2 post lift.. sure hope they find it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Replacement lift should be getting shipped, hopefully the 2nd try makes it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#38]
been at the ford dealer Im at now for 7 yrs, its slowly turned into a shit show, it gets better for a little, then gets worse. just a big shitty roller coaster . one of guys that left that Im good friends give me, a call the  honda dealer he went to has a tech retiring, he talked with the manger and Im going in tomorrow to talk with him. at this point as long as its not a pay cut Im gone. Im nervous but at the same time it feels great to know there is light at the end of tunnel
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By FPT_RAIDER:
been at the ford dealer Im at now for 7 yrs, its slowly turned into a shit show, it gets better for a little, then gets worse. just a big shitty roller coaster . one of guys that left that Im good friends give me, a call the  honda dealer he went to has a tech retiring, he talked with the manger and Im going in tomorrow to talk with him. at this point as long as its not a pay cut Im gone. Im nervous but at the same time it feels great to know there is light at the end of tunnel
View Quote
Best of Luck!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#40]
You will be busy with airbag inflators and piston rings at a Honda store.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:53:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Inflators by the pallet
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#42]
talked with the service manger at Honda tonight, have a few small details to work out, but it looks good. On the down side my dealer is freaking out, GM and service manger tried to corner me on the way out the door. when i got to the Honda dealer, the service manger who is a great guy said my gm called and bitched that he was stealing all his techs. he laughed about it. needless to say Tuesday morning is going to be interesting
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#43]
My dad bought a new Silverado yesterday and I bought his old one today.  2004 loaded, 98k.  Needs a good cleaning and has a  dent in the rocker panel but it may clean up well enough to justify the repair.  It was exactly what I wanted and had not been able to find at a reasonable price.  It also has an excellent maintenance history, good tires, and is mechanically perfect.  It will be a fourth vehicle that sees little use, mostly towing the boat and getting stuff from Lowe's.  

I've been working late all week and have to work tomorrow also.  I'm tired.  I'd like to spend more time at home and I'll be gone to Jacksonville most of next week for telematics training.  Hell I could probably teach it.  

My shop focus has been improving morale, team building and improving diagnostic strength.   I've been walking guys through the diagnostic strategy I was taught.  Test the system, see everything that is involved.  Identify the players, see what the problems have in common.  Divide and conquer, find the components and do a visual inspection then find the easiest to access test point then go forward or backward through the circuit based upon your result.

I've seen the lightbulb come on a few times and its quite a thrill for me.  Some guys get it, and are becoming more independent.    There has been a positive shift among the team members and its been noticed by other employees.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Dead today.  Bunch of waiter oil changes is pretty much it.  I turned 5.5 and spent the afternoon cleaning up my truck.  Greased it, looked it over.  Straightened out a bent skid plate.  It's odd not having to do any maintenance.  Mostly it needs cleaning.  I spent this late night adding relays to control power to the outlets.  GM straight wires them, and I don't like dead batteries so I add relays to make the outlets come on with the ignition.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:45:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: newguy2k3] [#45]
So there has been this tractor sitting for a few months outside my dads shop. Neighbor down the road bought it from another neighbor. Put fuel filters and jumper cables on it but it wouldn't start. I went to look at it and it and figured out the rack was stuck so I pulled the top off the injection pump and wiggled it around until it freed up. It was hung in low range also. Linkage and detente are worn out and had to get under the cab and manually pull it out.

It made it a few miles down the road and died. Fuel filters full of goo. I drained the tank. Diesel is brownish color and smells like varnish but it is diesel, mostly. Then I pull the lower tank and get this out.
Attachment Attached File

It is sticky and waxy. The sending unit and pickup tube is coated in the shit. B12 carb and choke seems to cut it but that's not a cost effective option. Brake clean doesn't seem to have any effect. The tank is poly so I can't cut it open and reweld. I filled it with hot water and sloshed it and that dislodged a little more but it is still coating the inside.

Open to any ideas. I may pull the upper tank as well and wash them out with the steam cleaner at work Tuesday.

Eta. I was told the previous owner kept fuel in old 55gal drums. So all the gory mess could be broken down coating from inside those barrels? I've never known straight diesel to do this.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Lift showed up on Friday, never got an explaination where YRC had it for a week. Really pleased with the Bendpak so far.

1st shop had Benwil's that got replaced with Rotary after the Benwils locking bar handles broke, repeatedly.  I would have preferred an asymmetric Rotary if I had 4" more ceiling height.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#47]
See if the red x or a picture shows up.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
Nice set up
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#50]
I am now up to three lifts. All cheep atlas lifts that ran just over 2k shipped. The two in the back have seen daily use for 4 years now.

Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top