Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2007 7:03:34 AM EDT
I had a jap bike that had a drain plug, this '03 FatBoy doesn't.  How do I get the oil out of the oil tank and engine?
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's like my older softtail, there should be a rubber hose at the bottom of the crank case.

held on by hose clamp

To make it easier for you to find , go to the bottom of your oiltank.

you will see two hose's follow the one attached to the frame with hose clamp
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I had a jap bikes that had a drain plug, this '03 FatBoy doesn't.  How do I get the oil out of the oil tank and engine?

If it's like my old '98 XL1200, you should be able to follow one of the oil lines from the oil tank down to the bottom of your crankcase. This should be the return line, and it should be at close to the lowest part of the motor. Have an oil pan under this area ready and loosen the hose clamp and drain away the old oil. Replace the hose and retighten the clamp. Replace filter, add new oil to the oil tank, and go for a ride.
At least that's how it went on the Sportster... YMMV. This looks about right.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#3]
get yourself a shop manual.  What year fatboy?  HD motor is a dry sump motor, no real amount of oil in the engine, There is a drain plug for the oil tank.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Bottom of the frame, right hand side, about 4 inches behind the tranny there is a plug these rests up in the frame.  If you follow the hose from the bottom of the oil tank, you will find it.

Its much easier to have the bike on a jack.  I bought one at sears for like 80 bucks, and it has come in very usefull many times
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
get yourself a shop manual.  What year fatboy?  HD motor is a dry sump motor, no real amount of oil in the engine, There is a drain plug for the oil tank.

Could you explain how this works. I have a jap bike which shares the oil between the engine and the gearbox.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#6]
It is an '03.

I will look at it after lunch, I hope I find the drain line!!

Thanks for the help guys!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Before you even loosen a clamp on it, GET A FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL!!!!! (not a clymer or haynes either). One thing every motorcycle owner should have is a Factory Manual.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
2002 FLSTF

Link Posted: 6/12/2007 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice bike!!  OK, I found the plug!!!  It took a 5/8 socket and came right out.  The filter wasn't as nice.  I had to put a screwdriver through the thing to turn it off!!  Whoever put it on last time way over tightend it!!  Anyway, I got it done!!  Thanks a bunch for the help!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a Harley. It'll change its own oil.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nice bike!!  OK, I found the plug!!!  It took a 5/8 socket and came right out.  The filter wasn't as nice.  I had to put a screwdriver through the thing to turn it off!!  Whoever put it on last time way over tightend it!!  Anyway, I got it done!!  Thanks a bunch for the help!!

Actually they didnt overtighten it. We've done that pretty much on all my ex-bosses HD's to get the filter off.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually they didnt overtighten it. We've done that pretty much on all my ex-bosses HD's to get the filter off.

I was very happy that my new filter had a bolt head on the top. It took me forever to change my oil the first time because of this (and because of my stupidity). Putting a 1/2" (or whatever size) bolt head on top just makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could you explain how this works. I have a jap bike which shares the oil between the engine and the gearbox.

Harley big twins have separate engine and tranny oil.  Your engine is a wet sump system where oil is stored in a pan under the crankshaft and pumped through the engine.  Harley uses a dry sump system where oil is stored in a separate oil tank and a scavenge pump returns the oil to the tank after going through the engine.  In a dry sump system there is very little oil in the engine at any one time so it is not usually drained from the crankcase during an oil change.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Before you even loosen a clamp on it, GET A FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL!!!!! (not a clymer or haynes either). One thing every motorcycle owner should have is a Factory Manual.

And if you're real smart you will get the factory parts manual too!
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was very happy that my new filter had a bolt head on the top. It took me forever to change my oil the first time because of this (and because of my stupidity). Putting a 1/2" (or whatever size) bolt head on top just makes sense.

I know K&N uses this type of filter but was not aware that Harley has changed it's filter to this type.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, who makes a filter like that?  The one I put on didn't have anything like that!  Sure would make it easier!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know K&N uses this type of filter but was not aware that Harley has changed it's filter to this type.

Good guess - I don't have a Harley, I have a Suzuki and it was a K&N filter.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#18]
So, next time around I need to get a K&N oil filter!
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So, next time around I need to get a K&N oil filter!

If money is no object.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Hell I spent $11.95 on the HD version, how much could the K&N be?
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I buy mine from Chicago Harley Davidson, on-line (20% discount), plain black (not chromed) for $7.  I buy about ten at a time and I'm set for a few years.  The K&N is double the price.

Buy or make this wrench.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Did you get that from HD or from a parts store?
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Did you get that from HD or from a parts store?

I made my own with the help of a Dremel tool, but that one is from J&P Cycles.  It wouldn't surprise me if they were available through Harley too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 6:05:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the info on the wrench!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

K&N for my bike was $15 at Autozone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top