Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:38:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerret_S] [#1]
Don't body guys bend the doors with a big bar in the latch to line them up?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:
Don't body guys bend the doors with a big bar in the latch to line them up?
View Quote
On trucks with non adjustable door hinges, I have used a portapower.  On my 48, I had to adjust the actual door opening with the hydraulic ram, as it was out of proportion.

Also, this I built with a 472 engine:

OP, those vent boxes that hide under the rear edge of the front fenders is usually a rot monster long before the inner rocker.  It looks like yours may be intact, which is an anomaly.

Also, I built a couple of these.  I trash all of the factory air/heat things and install Vintage Air.  They have a kit that is much cleaner than the factory stuff and fits perfectly.  Air blows super cold.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
On trucks with non adjustable door hinges, I have used a portapower.  On my 48, I had to adjust the actual door opening with the hydraulic ram, as it was out of proportion.

Also, this I built with a 472 engine:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/Blazer_JPG-3172678.jpg
OP, those vent boxes that hide under the rear edge of the front fenders is usually a rot monster long before the inner rocker.  It looks like yours may be intact, which is an anomaly.

Also, I built a couple of these.  I trash all of the factory air/heat things and install Vintage Air.  They have a kit that is much cleaner than the factory stuff and fits perfectly.  Air blows super cold.
View Quote

Yeah, my rocker boxes are pretty good. Nice rig!

I find myself looking for a new set of wheels, Looking for 17s. I would like to stay with a 35x12.50 tire. what width and backspacing do I need? this will not be a wheeling machine. Mostly street, with a few prairie dog towns thrown in.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Well as far as wheels go, I figure I need about 4-4.5" of backspace. A -12 or -13 offset.

Was rudely awakened this morning by a semi driver... Mocked up some new sheet metal today! Now I have to tear it all back apart. Fenders and core support are fitting great. Inner fenders are a total bitch to get lined up though.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Got tired of looking at gaping holes today so I finished a & b pillar patches, inner and outer rockers and got the quarter panel patch tacked in. My knees are done for the day.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Today's progress: not much. Going into overhaul next week, so I'll be working 5-10s plus whatever overtime I can get.

Welded in, then used the stud welder to get everything within 1/16th.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#7]
well yesterday was a slow day at work, so I was thinking about temperature senders, calibrating my speedometer, and going from a manual oil pressure gauge to electrical, so I don't risk dripping oil in the cab.

Temperature sender: The stock button or nail head style sender for these trucks is threaded 1/2"NPT. all newer small blocks are threaded 3/8. The 1/2" one is the only one that will read correctly with the factory gauge, because ohms or something. There is a member over on 67-72chevytrucks.com that is turning down the old style senders and rethreading them to 3/8. There are also people drilling/tapping the hole in the head of their new engines to 1/2".

I don't really like either of those options.

Calibrating my speedometer:

Blueprint wants me to run their 30 weight break in oil for 500 miles. I need a correct speedometer to do this. Also, using Gps speed on my phone and then figuring out what RPM that is... it's a pain.

oil pressure line: pretty self explanatory...

So I ordered a dakota digital gauge cluster with gps speedo.

Also, the way I figure it, between end of may and mid june I should be able to order new engine and trans.

Still waiting on my headers that I ordered ~3 weeks ago. Called Hedman-Hustler yesterday as I didnt get a confirmation email after I ordered, but everything sounds like its all good on their end.

So, I need this damn weather to warm up so I can get my engine bay painted. then I can get serious about the motor/trans swap.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I love that body style! It’s nice to see survives running around here in the PNW since we don’t use salt but I am just not in any position to own one right now so consider this an OST so that I can live vicariously through you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By The_Wizard_Of_Odd:

I love that body style! It’s nice to see survives running around here in the PNW since we don’t use salt but I am just not in any position to own one right now so consider this an OST so that I can live vicariously through you.
View Quote

I was starting to think I'm just talking to myself in here

Is it bad I'm already looking for a 2wd for my next project? Lol
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Progress.

2 core to 4 core rad mounts

Ordered new booster and master cylinder. Master was leaking out the back.

Scuffed and ready for primer

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Got everything primed yesterday.

Then started the wet sanding process all over again... Just got everything painted.

I can't wait to see how flat it will be!
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't see any flake in the shade, but when the sun hits it...

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread must be a sign, A couple days a go I was thinking about building a copy of Chief Brody's K5
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bunnysriflestock:
This thread must be a sign, A couple days a go I was thinking about building a copy of Chief Brody's K5
View Quote

Do it man! K5s are only going to go up in value! at least thats what i tell myself.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Looking great man! Keep up the great work!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, it flattened out perfectly. Exactly what I wanted.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By matt58:
Looking great man! Keep up the great work!
View Quote

Thanks bud!
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Cool truck!!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top