Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 10:47:24 PM EDT
I've got a YZ450F that I want to take to the dunes in OK.   Besides a paddle tire, what do I need to do to prepare the bike and are there any other other things I need to know about?

P.S.  I'm really hoping sand is softer than dirt. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Grew up rocking the dunes at Little Sahara!

You will also need a whip flag and a hand full of throttle! Biggest piece of advice is to relax as riding the dunes is a much different experience. Be aware of windlips and drop offs as they will sneak up on you. There are really no witches eyes at little Sahara.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Shift your weight as far rearward as you can and use lots of throttle. This allows you

to "surf" the sand on the rear tire (mostly) and the front tire will kinda help with steering.

I use this technique in the sandy washes out here. I've only gone on the dunes (Glamis) in a sand rail and a

quad runner.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:27:28 AM EDT
[#3]
RPMs!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't get squashed by the buggies.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:52:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I ride a couple mine trailing areas that have lots of loose sand. Sit back on the bike and haul ass. It really sucks to go slow in the sand.

Don't fight the bars when they slap around a bit....let them float along and have fun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep. what they said.

Sit back, waaay back, push your butt to the rear and off the seat if needed.  Push back with your arms, too to help stay back.  This lightens the front end so it floats over the sand and puts the weight on the rear wheel for traction.  Full throttle all the time (well, almost full, certainly high revs).  Let the front wheel float (steering) a bit but not too much.  Start in a straight line.  Stop in a straight line.  Focus farther ahead than normal.

Buried rocks are a deadly enemy but sitting back will allow you to go over or around them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Lower tire pressure is better.  Use rim locks.  Seal your intake system, clamps, hoses with a thin layer of silicone sealer.  Make sure your air cleaner is freshly oiled.

Get a hydraulic steering damper if you can find one.  They are awesome. 

Sometimes you need a mask if the sand is light and blowing.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Scout your run before you go balls out, knew a guy that went off a dune and paralyzed himself.

Ended up being a 60ft drop.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got a YZ450F that I want to take to the dunes in OK.   Besides a paddle tire, what do I need to do to prepare the bike and are there any other other things I need to know about?

P.S.  I'm really hoping sand is softer than dirt. 
View Quote

sand is definitely softer than dirt, which poses more challenge to your riding technique.

sand robs horsepower, though with a 450F you should be good unless you weigh 250+lbs.
depending on what type of sand you are riding in, knobbies may be ok.

crank your clickers up -- stiffen the suspension all the way around when riding in sand.
stay on the throttle -- front end getting squirrelly = add more power.
never chop the throttle back, especially on a 4s, this will cause you major problems.
don't 'death grip' the bars, let the steering stabilizer do it's thing, and hang on.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Fuck riding in sand.

Say bye-bye to your chain, sprockets, wheel bearings and (lord forbid) the top end of your bike.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Make sure that your air cleaner is in good condition and sealed well.  Stock up on countershaft seals.  Yes, it will destroy your chain, sprockets and top end.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the tips and buzz kill.     

Probably will wait until I need a new chain/sprocket etc if it's going to fuck shit up.  What would cause the top end to to go?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Scope out the terrain carefully and remember, if a dune is a gradual slope on this side, it's steep over the ridge.  Round on the back side, steep on the face.  Opposite is usually true also.  I rode a WR450 for about 10 years in the dunes of Glamis, and a YZ490 before that.   I started riding there in the early 70's.  When in doubt, gas it!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#14]
You are in for a GREAT time. Riding in the dunes is one of the funnest things you can do on a bike.
1. low tire pressure. 9-10 psi, make sure rim locks are tight.
2. Don't lug the motor.
3. NEVER crest a dune straight over the top. You don't know what's on the other side, even if you think you do... ride up, turn just at the crest, look over and continue over.
4. If you are riding with quads, don't try and follow the same lines and turns, they will turn much tighter, try and round off the turns, or you will plant the front tire and go over the bars.
You will probably do this anyway. Sand is pretty soft but still hurts your head if you smack your helmet.
5. Follow someone that knows what they are doing. This cannot be overstated. Watch how their bike responds to the terrain and prep for that.
6. clean your chain with chain cleaner and run a ATF soaked rag over it for lube. Sand wont stick. works great.
7. Get a camelback if you don't have one. Riding in the dunes on a bike is a workout.
8. try not to ride midday. Shadows are your friends.
9. Wear a bandana over your nose and mouth or you will be crunching lots of sand between your teeth.
10. Buy "sand goggles" or oil the foam on your regular goggles. sand goes right through.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably will wait until I need a new chain/sprocket etc if it's going to fuck shit up.  What would cause the top end to to go?
View Quote
You'll be fine. Your bike will be fine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mud is 100x worse than sand and chains, sprockets and bearings. Proper air filter management with a good extra bit of care will help with sand injestion. Your bike will be shiny and new looking after a day in the sand. Little Sahara does have a very fine quartz sand, so there is truth to its ability to work its way past seals and links. However I will tell you any accelerated wear on those wear items is well worth the experience of mile long whoop sections pinned in 5th and wide open bowl riding.

Doooooo it! If you kill a part at Sahara let me know and I can get you taken care of nicely.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Lean back and gas it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
No matter how hard you try sand will get in every nook and cranny on your bike including the airbox.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mud is 100x worse than sand and chains, sprockets and bearings.
View Quote
Mud has water in it, that actually acts as a lubricant for your chain and sprocket.
Water from pressure washing the bike at a car wash after riding in the mud does more to destroy bearings than mud or muddy water.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Go fast & watch your ass!
I never enjoyed riding skinny tire equipped bikes in the sand.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Watch out around the border fence at the Little Sahara (I assume that's where you're headed), in some places there are mostly buried T posts sticking out of the sand just enough to ruin your day. People ride outside of the park in these areas too so it might look like a good trail. Had a neighbor rip the front tire off a quad and get thrown over the handlebars that way. 

Definitely have goggles or a full face helmet, sand in the face and eyes all day sucks! 

I have only ridden on quads and RZR's there so I can't help beyond that! 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Everything has already been covered, but I'll reiterate cleaning your bike thoroughly afterwards. Sand will be everywhere. I'm still picking out sand from my last dune trip almost two years ago. The same did a number on my fork seals too - I've been cleaning them with a Seal Saver, but they need replacing.

Sand is stupid fun - I ride a CR500AF and love it. Your 450 will do great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top