Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2017 5:29:01 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Eventually, I want to replace my factory stereo with an aftermarket unit.  Normally, I believe this is rather easy and stress free.  However, my Envoy has the Bose System along with OnStar, so I believe I need a tad bit more to install it.  I know I need an adapter to keep the warning chimes, and a more expensive adapter to keep both the chimes and the steering wheel controls, but what I'm really wondering about is if there is anything I need to do because the Bose system has it's own amplifier.  Is there anything special I need to do, or will the basic "This is what you need" from Crutchfield (stereo and wiring adapter) items do?  I really don't want to have to start splicing and tapping into or replacing the speaker wires and everything.

Any help would be great.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Why?  Are you replacing every single speaker and amp that's in the car with highend components and monster cable?  if not you are sorta wasting your time for a whizz bang looking headunit.

People shit on the factory GM head units but the Bose and Monsoon units in my experience are more than up to the task until you need a competiton level setup with huge amps.  I'd leave it unless you replace everything, not to shit on your car but it's still then a early 00's Envoy.  I wouldn't piss it off by messing with it's electrical related systems.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:11:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why?  Are you replacing every single speaker and amp that's in the car with highend components and monster cable?  if not you are sorta wasting your time for a whizz bang looking headunit.

People shit on the factory GM head units but the Bose and Monsoon units in my experience are more than up to the task until you need a competiton level setup with huge amps.  I'd leave it unless you replace everything, not to shit on your car but it's still then a early 00's Envoy.  I wouldn't piss it off by messing with it's electrical related systems.
View Quote

Because I'd like to eventually play a CD or two again.

I've gotten 210k out of it so far and want to put a few more on it, even though it's a shitty early 00's SUV....
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:05:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't be sure, but I would think the adapter harness would still feed signal to the amp, but you'd have to check the back of the unit.

Or I would also think the new harness would identify what wires are what.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:12:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Odds are an aftermarket stereo won't play nice with your Bose amp. The Bose amp is tied in to your body control module through the GM lan line. Unless you plan on adding an aftermarket amp and subwoofer it's probably more hassle than it's worth.

If you want, send me a picture of your head unit. I might have a factory radio for that vehicle sitting in the garage. At least you would be able to play CDs again.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've gotten 210k out of it so far and want to put a few more on it, even though it's a shitty early 00's SUV....
View Quote
I'm not saying it's shit. I sold the Envoy's when they were new and almost bought one myself.  My comment is more directed at not messing it up and reducing it's value.  Aftermarket stereos unless done on the high end always look out of place on cars like yours and as you know don't work right without a ton of extra stuff that costs more money than it's worth.

Your CD player is the SAME GM head unit found in almost every single GM car and truck from 2003-2006ish.  Every Silverado, Suburban, Yukon, Monte Carlo, etc.  They go for $50-100 depending on if you want the single CD or the 6 disc.    Get  a factory unit then if needed, have somebody with a Tech2 reprogram it to recognize your car and you're all set having spent a fraction of the money that you would one a gaudy aftermarktet one and retain 100% of your factory functions.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a bluetooth receiver if the stereo has the AUX jack.  Or get an FM transmitter to hijack one of the FM channels and pipe in via bluetooth.

Both require playing music via your smartphone.  Not perfect but very cheap, and no messing with anything behind the console.  This was my setup when I had an older vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get a bluetooth receiver if the stereo has the AUX jack.  Or get an FM transmitter to hijack one of the FM channels and pipe in via bluetooth.

Both require playing music via your smartphone.  Not perfect but very cheap, and no messing with anything behind the console.  This was my setup when I had an older vehicle.
View Quote
I spliced a jack into the XM box.
XM reception sucks so frequently, I use my phone to strem content, including XM.
Just put XM on the radio ID channel and use aux device.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Got the blows system also and its an easy but time consuming install. Id say the hardest part was putting all the wires behind the radio when theres limited space haha.

Get on like this and itll keep it all factory including the amp.  Idk if this specific item fits your exact model.

I replaced the door speakers in my tahoe with aftermarket 6.75" mid woffers and since the bose system runs on a very non common Ohm rating i lost a small amount of loudness  (volume) but it sounds soo much better and no distortion at higher levels.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm not saying it's shit. I sold the Envoy's when they were new and almost bought one myself.  My comment is more directed at not messing it up and reducing it's value.  Aftermarket stereos unless done on the high end always look out of place on cars like yours and as you know don't work right without a ton of extra stuff that costs more money than it's worth.

Your CD player is the SAME GM head unit found in almost every single GM car and truck from 2003-2006ish.  Every Silverado, Suburban, Yukon, Monte Carlo, etc.  They go for $50-100 depending on if you want the single CD or the 6 disc.    Get  a factory unit then if needed, have somebody with a Tech2 reprogram it to recognize your car and you're all set having spent a fraction of the money that you would one a gaudy aftermarktet one and retain 100% of your factory functions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Op, SS knows his stuff and his advice is gtg.  You could always go on a envoy forum and get a ton of related info.  Thats what i do when i need info about my Tahoe
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Attachment Attached File

@RevolverOcelot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top