Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2017 9:16:38 AM EDT
I did a poker run this weekend and after 35+ miles of slick mud, roots and rocks I decided I need new boots.

I currently have a cheap pair if O'Neills. They are comfortable and I haven't broken my foot yet with them but they do have shortfalls. I fell down a couple times trying to help people over roots. I broke one of the buckles (4th one I've broken) about halfway through the ride and bashed up the top of my left foot pretty good. The calf portion is pretty small and I can't use the top buckle with my shin/knee guards.

I'm currently looking at SIdI crossfire 2's, alpinestsrs tech 7's, and fox instincts.  

What do you suggest?

Tried on Instincts, tech 7's and 10's, sidi crosfire 2's and 3's and TVX comp evos. I ended up buying the comp evos. They fit the best and seem to be a good compromise between tech 10's and the instincts.  Got them for $450 otd from my local dealership.

Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Alpinestars Tech 9 for me. Alpinestars have been my go to boot for years now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as long lasting, to the point of resoling, Gaerne. I have never had another brand outlast the sole.

I use the DualSport like boots(Balance), not mx boots, but assume the quality is the same.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as long lasting, to the point of resoling, Gaerne. I have never had another brand outlast the sole.

I use the DualSport like boots(Balance), not mx boots, but assume the quality is the same.
View Quote
I tried some gaernes and they were way too small in the calf for me. Maybe i will try them again.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Sidi.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a pair of a* tech 7s that have held up great. All of my other boots were cheap ones though so its not really a fair comparison.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Anything above a couple hundo is usually in the good category.  Of course you can spend $1k too.

I use mid range Gaernes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
My friend at the ktm dealership is going to let me try out his Instincts.  They didn't have any in stock today.

The did have a pair of tech 7's that looked nice. Friend said they are a bit lighter then the fox boots. They also have some tech 10's but the sole just seems really slick. I guess if I was a better rider and didn't get off the bike.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Gaerne trials boots. (balance)  like wearing slippers.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My friend at the ktm dealership is going to let me try out his Instincts.  They didn't have any in stock today.

The did have a pair of tech 7's that looked nice. Friend said they are a bit lighter then the fox boots. They also have some tech 10's but the sole just seems really slick. I guess if I was a better rider and didn't get off the bike.
View Quote
My son has had two pair of fox boots....comp 3s and now 5s. Great boots but the buckles make me cuss. Hard as hell to latch and they don't always stay adjusted in the correct setting when removed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my Forma Adventures.

I wore them through Carlsbad Caverns, after riding a couple hours, then another 8 hours or so ride after. no comfort problems.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love my Forma Adventures.

I wore them through Carlsbad Caverns, after riding a couple hours, then another 8 hours or so ride after. no comfort problems.
View Quote
I have a pair of those as well.  I really like them for DS/adv/etc riding.  They are definitely not dirt boots, but I use them all the time when I can get away with it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought a pair of Falco Avantours a few months ago...love 'em so much, I sold my A'star Tech 8's and use the Falcos for both dual-sport and off-road.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/712/60811/Falco-Avantour-Adventure-Motorcycle-Boots
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I wear Sidi but I'm looking for some new boots.

That's good to hear about Forma and some others.  I've been looking at a pair of Gaerne oiled boots that look a lot like the Forma Adventures.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#14]
If I could fit into Sidi's that is what I would buy.
My feet have gotten really flat in the past 5 years, to the point where 99% of all MX/ADV boots are not wide enough.

The only boots that fit these days are the O'neil RDX boots, and they barely fit around my calf.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If I could fit into Sidi's that is what I would buy.
My feet have gotten really flat in the past 5 years, to the point where 99% of all MX/ADV boots are not wide enough.

The only boots that fit these days are the O'neil RDX boots, and they barely fit around my calf.
View Quote
My O'Neils don't fit my calf with my knee guards. I tried garneas and they were too narrow for my foot. My buddy told me that Sidis are super narrow. I'm going to stop in two shops tomorrow on my way home from the coast and try some different boots on.

My left foot is still swollen from kicking that rock last Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My O'Neils don't fit my calf with my knee guards. I tried garneas and they were too narrow for my foot. My buddy told me that Sidis are super narrow. I'm going to stop in two shops tomorrow on my way home from the coast and try some different boots on.
My left foot is still swollen from kicking that rock last Sunday.
View Quote
My knee guards go on the outside.

When I could wear Sidi's I loved them because they had so much adjustment for the calf and ankle.

I called up a couple of boot manufacturers and asked why they don't make old fat man sized boots.
I was basically told that old fat men don't ride and that they buy boots for their young lean kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top