Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2017 8:24:04 AM EDT
Seems like they've been out a couple years and I haven't heard anything bad about them but at the same time don't hear much of anything about them.

I know that the new little gas motors make them a better choice for most people but I still find them interesting.  

I was going to put this in GD but I figured I'd start with sensible people first
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw a RAM-1500 with a Diesel yesterday and was wondering how it drove.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Met a guy towing an RV with one late last year (it was the first I had seen). He gushed about it.....   was towing a 25-28 ft bumper pull with it (about 8K gross), and said that it did not flinch even in the mountains.....      

He was an older gent, and said that his main concern was fuel mileagae, and that he "drove like a grandma", but got high 20's low 30's out of it..... I don't know if that number was real or made up, but it impressed me......   

No real facts, but only thing I have heard from the small diesel community.....    sure wish they would bring back the 1985 jap trucks with diesels......   not gonna happen due to stupid safety crap though.....  those were 

the perfect homeowner trucks.....  
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Met a guy towing an RV with one late last year (it was the first I had seen). He gushed about it.....   was towing a 25-28 ft bumper pull with it (about 8K gross), and said that it did not flinch even in the mountains.....      

He was an older gent, and said that his main concern was fuel mileagae, and that he "drove like a grandma", but got high 20's low 30's out of it..... I don't know if that number was real or made up, but it impressed me......   

No real facts, but only thing I have heard from the small diesel community.....    sure wish they would bring back the 1985 jap trucks with diesels......   not gonna happen due to stupid safety crap though.....  those were 

View Quote
You must be replying to the guy above right?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2014 Cruze with the diesel. It has been reliable, gets great mileage on the highway.

The biggest problem is accelerator lag. It takes FOREVER to get going at a light, and is downright dangerous if you forget what car you are driving and decide to make a quick left.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a 2014 Cruze with the diesel. It has been reliable, gets great mileage on the highway.

The biggest problem is accelerator lag. It takes FOREVER to get going at a light, and is downright dangerous if you forget what car you are driving and decide to make a quick left.
View Quote
So what kind of actual numbers are you getting?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#6]
About 46 mpg highway.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my customers has a cruze diesel. He's had it a couple years with no issues. I drove it through town once and it was pretty slow....felt like and 80s 4cyl car. Might be much better out on the highway though?

Filters have been a bit of a problem. .....no one in town stocks an oil, fuel, or air filter. I keep them for him now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:24:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 sure wish they would bring back the 1985 jap trucks with diesels......   not gonna happen due to stupid safety crap though.....  those were 

View Quote
I loved the old C223 Isuzu powered KB pickups, 45hp and 50 mpg and rated to hold 1500lbs in the bed (though mine had 2K in it regularly)...
Back on topic, I have often wondered about the economics of a diesel powered car or legit mini truck. Honestly with modern gas engines getting an honest real world 25mpg (this is what I get in my Mitsubishi Outlander) and the added maintenance of DPF, DOC, added fuel costs, and DEF then the added initial cost of the engine does it really honestly make sense to get 15mpg more?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I loved the old C223 Isuzu powered KB pickups, 45hp and 50 mpg and rated to hold 1500lbs in the bed (though mine had 2K in it regularly)...
Back on topic, I have often wondered about the economics of a diesel powered car or legit mini truck. Honestly with modern gas engines getting an honest real world 25mpg (this is what I get in my Mitsubishi Outlander) and the added maintenance of DPF, DOC, added fuel costs, and DEF then the added initial cost of the engine does it really honestly make sense to get 15mpg more?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 sure wish they would bring back the 1985 jap trucks with diesels......   not gonna happen due to stupid safety crap though.....  those were 

Many gas engines are well into the 30's MPG wise with some going over 40. My 2011 Impreza gets anywhere from 28-32 real world highway.

No question that a diesel is a hard argument to make. I think they actually make a lot more sense in a bigger car or van that would normally get bad mileage.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You must be replying to the guy above right?
View Quote
Yeah, sorry, just wanted to tag this to see if you get any good feedback..... I would love a nice 4cyl diesel.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm excited that the Cruze hatchback is getting the little 1.6 diesel for 2018... and you can even get it with a 6-speed manual.

So far I've only driven the diesel Cruze a few miles and around the lot....  my first impression was of how quiet the motor is.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm excited that the Cruze hatchback is getting the little 1.6 diesel for 2018... and you can even get it with a 6-speed manual.

So far I've only driven the diesel Cruze a few miles and around the lot....  my first impression was of how quiet the motor is.
View Quote
New diesels in general are super quiet. I can't remember which generation of Cummins it was but they got as quiet as the old gas engines were. Very impressive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top