Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Striker:
are you going to chop it?
View Quote
Yes, eventually. The question is... How much?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#3]
WWGWD ->  what would Gene Winfield do?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tim_McBride:

Gene would have it finished by now with a severe chop and channel, and it would look wonderful.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Power plant 13b-rew or 2jz either way 5spd m/t. If you really want something cool go 20b with big single snail
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By endofdays:
Power plant 13b-rew or 2jz either way 5spd m/t. If you really want something cool go 20b with big single snail
View Quote
I saw a 13b with a tiny roots blower on it recently, it was rad.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I voted fender less GM drive train for the Ops ease of the build..... But realistically If I built one it would have to be a fender less low boy with a flathead or a  3 window high boy with a blown 392 hemi
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I see you already decided on a drivetrain, but I was going to suggest a jag V12 or inline 6 from an XJS.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
But realistically If I built one it would have to be a fender less low boy with a flathead or a  3 window high boy with a blown 392 hemi
View Quote

Are we related????
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a low mileage 241 Dodge Red Ram Hemi that would be really cool in that!

I've also got a 272 Ford Y-block with a top loader 3 speed with all of the Jeep components to change it from side shift to direct top shift.  It's a '64 transmission, the only year with full synchronization and the Y-block bell housing. Pretty sure I've got a 4 barrel intake for that setup also.

I need to get revved up and get back to work on some of my hot rod stuff.  Right after I get the shooting platform and the deck done at the farm, and the busted front radius arm bracket fixed on the Grand Cherokee, and the 1ton YJ project done, and idle problem on the LT1 in Dad's Plymouth pickup fixed, and....and.........
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Not much excitement, work has been keeping me busy.

Modified the brake brackets to move the brake to the top front of the discs, to make room for my steering arms, which will need some spacers made before I can mount them. Stared at the body longingly trying to decide what to do. Got a lot of beer drank while looking at it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Let me give you some ideas  skip to about 2 minutes
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Madcap72:
I saw a 13b with a tiny roots blower on it recently, it was rad.
View Quote
My buddy has a Pettit sc on his rx8
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Let me give you some ideas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usbqZJCPcj4  skip to about 2 minutes
View Quote
Pretty neat.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:15:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#16]
Got the steering arms mounted tonight. Let's just say that these are one of those 'require fitting' parts Speedway sells. A lot of grinding and elongating one hole on each bracket(Speedway must laser cut the holes then bend the arms), plus making a spacer was required. But, my front end is now all assembled.

I also almost have the frame ready for final paint. Plan to just paint it with implement enamel paint. It's cheap and readily available here.

I'd be getting more done, but between a bought of back issue sand a 7  straight days of work it's been slow.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

I built a 30 A tudor for a guy that was chopped 6 in the front and 4 in the back. Gave it a hell of a rake with the dropped front axle. Also, fenders are for sissies. My fenderless 32 coupe stayed cleaner in the rain than the fendered sedans I've had. Sounds impossible but the water spray would wrap around the fenders and wind up all over them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:53:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#18]
good progress so far.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Got 30 minutes into cutting old brackets off the Versailles rear end, had a cut off disc shatter. Glad I was wearing my glasses. Decided it was a good time to stop for the night.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Got 30 minutes into cutting old brackets off the Versailles rear end, had a cut off disc shatter. Glad I was wearing my glasses. Decided it was a good time to stop for the night.
View Quote
That would be a good time to take a break from it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:44:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: J_Wynn] [#21]
My vote is absolutely not a small block Chevy. I hate when people put Chevy motors in Ford's. If I'm at a car show I don't care how nice a car is, if it's a Ford with a Chevy motor I keep on walking

I always wanted to build a 29 Model A sedan with a custom frame and install a
Ford 300 straight 6.

Edit: oops, I see you already got your engine picked out. I didn't mean any offense, I guess I can decide which engine when I pony up some cash and buy one for you.

Good luck with the build, I'm sure it'll be a real fun driver.

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:46:30 AM EDT
[#22]
For inspiration :

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:43:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
For inspiration :

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/hotrods_reduced-278052.jpg
View Quote

Very nice!
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
I voted fender less GM drive train for the Ops ease of the build..... But realistically If I built one it would have to be a fender less low boy with a flathead or a  3 window high boy with a blown 392 hemi
View Quote

Yes. Thank You. These guys suggesting Toyota 4 bangers in an American Hot Rod need their T levels checked.

hemi powered rat rod... omfg this is great
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:55:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Been working 20 or more hours of OT a check at my primary job lately. No time to work on the car. Also had to replace the hot water heater at the house...

Good news. Opportunity to buy a 62 Buick LeSabre with a rebuilt 401 Nailhead and auto trans. Car was a 2bbl variant but owner put on a factory 4bbl setup. Essentially a wildcat motor now....

Thinking of buying it and using the motor/trans combo in the A. Is the Nailhead in an A overdone?

Car itself is super clean. I'd probably commit heresy  and drop a GM crate motor and 4L60E in it... disc brakes and use it to shuttle the kids around.

Kids would rather dad have cool cars to pass down instead of Christmas presents right?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#28]
I'm beginning to not like you. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Been working 20 or more hours of OT a check at my primary job lately. No time to work on the car. Also had to replace the hot water heater at the house...

Good news. Opportunity to buy a 62 Buick LeSabre with a rebuilt 401 Nailhead and auto trans. Car was a 2bbl variant but owner put on a factory 4bbl setup. Essentially a wildcat motor now....

Thinking of buying it and using the motor/trans combo in the A. Is the Nailhead in an A overdone?

Car itself is super clean. I'd probably commit heresy  and drop a GM crate motor and 4L60E in it... disc brakes and use it to shuttle the kids around.

Kids would rather dad have cool cars to pass down instead of Christmas presents right?
I'm beginning to not like you. 
So are you saying I shouldn't put a nailhead in the A? The fucking Dynoslush...I mean Dynaflow is such a shit transmission....
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Buick deal fell apart. Still working a lot. Hoping to get back at it soon.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the updates
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 2:42:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#31]
Bump fer updates. 

I have my orange truck torn apart right now doing brakes and front ends.  I will probably put some photos here for inspiration.

The brakes always sucked in this truck.  Stock pedal position made it unsafe.  Here is where it is going, electric booster under floor, firewall mounted master and brake pedal.  Coil overs and ball joints will complete it:
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Bump fer updates. 

I have my orange truck torn apart right now doing brakes and front ends.  I will probably put some photos here for inspiration.
View Quote
Worked about a 130 hours last two weeks.
Eventually things will slow down.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I wish I had work as an excuse.  I have been just a lazy bum lately.  I put this project off for almost 3 months. 
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#34]
I was thinking about building one of these but use the drive train from the mustang svo or merkur xr4ti which is the 2.3 4 cylinder turbo. With an inter cooler you should be able to get high 200's in hp.

They came with 5 speeds and you can swap in the HD 5 speed as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
I could ask him.  His shop is about an hour away...
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Something neat I saw the other day...How about a Hemi V8 from a Toyota limousine?

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 7:43:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#37]
Dang. It has been like 5+ years on this thread..! Pops is all old school, any updates from the OP?

A Deuce (1932), 5 Window Coupe. A Dearborn Award Winner. He has another, I'll keep looking for a pic of the Woodie.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Here we go. Dearborn Award Winner #2. +900 of 1000 points.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Any word from the op?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top