Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2017 7:19:15 PM EDT
Was doing about 80 on the freeway this afternoon riding into a pretty gusty headwind.
All of a sudden front end started to wobble. I just let off throttle and let it work itself out.
Thing is, I've got 13k miles on this bike in all weather conditions imaginable and never experienced this before.
I did get a new front tire installed two weeks ago. I could not get it to duplicate the wobble the rest of my commute home.
2011 650 versys. Continental tires..
Any ideas what to check for? Shit just happens?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#1]
In before "buy a Harley".

3 things to check for that I can think of if it wasn't a pavement issue (ok, 4 if you count air pressure)
- out of balance
- out of round
- tightness of fasteners (might want to loosen up the axle pinch bolts and do the bouncing thing before re-tightening)
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably just the wind pushing on the mirrors.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the front wheel off the ground and check the head brgs
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#4]
How's your grip?  With the headwind were you holding on a bit tighter than usual?  On an upright bike, your shoulders can cause bar movement from the wind if you grip too tight.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Are the tires you have on it now a different brand/model from what you had on it before? If so, the front tire may have a different profile from what you had before. If the profile is more angular / less rounded, that might account for straight line instability. I used to road race motorcycles, and noticed stuff like that when changing from one profile to a different one. It's possible to dial out head shake like that if you put a steering damper on the bike, otherwise you may want to go to a more rounded tire profile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top