Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2017 2:30:50 PM EDT
Thought i'd share my latest project. This is a a 1949 James Comet 98cc Deluxe and it has seen better days but I have collected almost all the parts to get it back up and running. It wont be done super fast but I will add in pictures and such as I make progress. Should be fun to putt around on!

My dad found this in the back of a pickup truck years ago at a swap meet. The owner didnt know what it was and so my dad bought it because he thought it looked cool. It sat as decoration in his garage for the last 10 years or so and ive decided i want to make it run again. We ordered a bunch of parts from the UK to get the motor rebuilt and new brake cables etc.

What it would have looked like new.

And its current condition.

I think I have everything for it except new tires, the rear fender and a headlight switch. The plan for now is most likely just to get it running with new tires and leave it as is looks wise. We will see if that ends up happening or not.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#1]
A weird old bike...count me in!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I love threads like this!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in for results.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
This will be quite the feat!  Good luck!  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice save
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#6]
IN!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:42:45 AM EDT
[#7]
My dad had a "Famous James" scooter.  I've never seen a pic of on before, cool.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:52:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Started working on the engine this evening. I have an old gasket set and such to rebuild it with.

So far its looking good enough. Need to source a driveshaft bearing though before putting the case back together. I think like all the other bearings it should be a pretty standard bearing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top