Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 10:05:08 PM EDT
1967 VW bug, suppose to be all original. was in a barn for 33 years. all i know thus far is that the gas tank is good but the battery box/tray is rusted out.

Dont know much else. Hoping to get pics and figure out if its worth the efforts, dont know price either.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Battery tray and rear floor boards are common. Front floor board seams at center hump. Front floor board seams at outer door edge up to kick panels. The rear pillars if it was subject to wet conditions and rear window rubber is deteriorated. Under the gas tank as well. Good luck. I prefered the beetle over the bug but they were fun.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
DAY 1
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you already a "VW guy"?

I hope for your sake you already are,
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds interesting, will follow for interest.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#5]
My first car was a 67 bug.

Give us an update after you look at it!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DAY 1
View Quote
DAY 2
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got back, luckily its only a mile down the road. lol.

The good...

All complete, original, everything is there, except the spare tire

Gas tank is clean

Has title

Clutch and motor are free along with shifter

Guy bought it last Nov and towed it, so it rolls

Oil was pretty clean, motor complete.

I have no doubt, I could fire it up within 1/2 hour.

All Glass, windshield, head lights/tail lights, all intact

Weatherstripper is good for its age, would need replaced

Windows roll down with ease

Dash is complete with org. radio

The roof, hood, rear engine cover and around windows have paint flaked and rusted, but its solid, but is pitted. It hasnt eaten into the rear window or windshield frame/body

The bad.................

Floor pans are gone, mainly the back passenger area

Body behind doors and where running boards go is rotted

Spare tire well has pin holes

Inside where heater area is up front is rotted

Drivers side , rear fender has a big dent down low

Interior is pretty toast, carpet rotted, seats in decent shape, split at the stitching, headliner torn. Steering wheel in great shape, sun visors in great shape.

Guy was asking $2500 when he got it, no takers. says he will take $1250

Mechanically, its simple enough, the floor pans and lower body is pretty rough, so I have to see if the squeeze is worth the juice...........

Pics coming soon..........
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#9]
The heater channels are probably shot and that is the biggest issue in my very limited experience. If you have a garage and an insane amount of time I might bite at that price.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
No garage, pole barn. Time isnt a problem. money could be. I could probably get it for 1100, doubt 1000. guy is a hoarder and keeps up on prices of things, so he isnt completely clueless.

Im not worried about the mechanics, wiring is all good from what I can tell, its the lower body that has me wondering how much aggrevation, etc.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#11]
That would be my concern too. And the heater channels as you may or may not know are a part of the lower body and basically the main support structure. They can be replaced but not super easily. You will definitely be doing some welding but truly I have paid more for one in worse shape. However because of the rust in the same area and lack of time I failed to get the job done.

I prefer bikes. But just like old bikes you will likely spend more on this bug than it will ever be worth. SO that means you just got to love it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#12]
That is a $500 car.  You need to shop in AZ. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Yea...im agree more and more..just the body is what is keeping from pulling the trigger. Ill probably pass on this one and let someone that really knows what they are doing handle it.

He did have a 1978 Honda Trail 90 there . lol that might be more my speed anyways..lol
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
This^^^^^
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:08:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly what I was thinking.

ETA: Example
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:50:19 AM EDT
[#16]
You would buy a lot of pain for 1200.  If you are wanting a rehab you found it.  If you want to tinker, fix up and drive run away.  Sitting like that for 30 years and the rust monster will come by for a visit and stay in your spare bedroom.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:57:41 AM EDT
[#17]
So you're about to buy Herbie? Congrats,OP.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Exactly what I was thinking.

ETA: Example
View Quote
Honestly, that is a remarkable deal! I would be all over that. That is much more than a $1500 beetle around here. Now find me a Thing for the same price!

Keep in mind the OPs bug is a little more desirable to some because of the year. But even so...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#19]
What a POS.

Seriously, old bugs suck ass hard. Slow, handle like shit, lousy fuel economy, the engines need work all the time, they don't last long, they are a tinkerers dream or nightmare depending on the problem. Rusty old bugs are 100X worse.

Hell, I have a bit over $2500 into a 93 Miata with 33K [now] on the clock that is rust free and it actually goes down the road under it's own power.

ALWAYS let someone else fix up some old rusty POS, then buy it, you will always be money and fingers ahead.

[and yes, we had bgs, carmanghia's and vans growing up, they were all loathesome tho the chicks loved the carmanghia even though it was slow as hell. [and had the horrid autoshift transmission]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What a POS.

Seriously, old bugs suck ass hard. Slow, handle like shit, lousy fuel economy, the engines need work all the time, they don't last long, they are a tinkerers dream or nightmare depending on the problem. Rusty old bugs are 100X worse.

Hell, I have a bit over $2500 into a 93 Miata with 33K [now] on the clock that is rust free and it actually goes down the road under it's own power.

ALWAYS let someone else fix up some old rusty POS, then buy it, you will always be money and fingers ahead.

[and yes, we had bgs, carmanghia's and vans growing up, they were all loathesome tho the chicks loved the carmanghia even though it was slow as hell. [and had the horrid autoshift transmission]
View Quote
I don't know if you ride motorcycles but you are going to want to avoid old bikes as well. Some guys like old quirky stuff and some don't. It is different however when you have multiple vehicles and your 50 year old car is just a toy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Ive had bugs before, I know what is involved..change points over to electric ignition, adjust valves and thats pretty much it.

If the body was mint but motor blown, id buy it easily. I can do mechanics, cant do body work. So, gonna pass on this one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Get the trail 90, those are actually worth something and can be fixed up fairly cheap.

That bug is only worth the sum of some of it's parts.  Shop in the SW and CA for a good project vehicle.  Not having to deal with rust is worth the premium and shipping costs.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know if you ride motorcycles but you are going to want to avoid old bikes as well. Some guys like old quirky stuff and some don't. It is different however when you have multiple vehicles and your 50 year old car is just a toy.
View Quote
Monkeying with an engine and wiring is one thing, dealing with a rusted out trashed body is another. Sure it's a labor of love but it is never ever a financially sound decision and it always costs far more then you think. [see, I do know about fixing up old stuff.]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Monkeying with an engine and wiring is one thing, dealing with a rusted out trashed body is another. Sure it's a labor of love but it is never ever a financially sound decision and it always costs far more then you think. [see, I do know about fixing up old stuff.]
View Quote
You got that right about costs. If you want to experience restoring a vehicle without getting your hands dirty just take a few thousand bucks out of the bank and burn it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top