Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/24/2017 3:25:22 PM EDT
I want to eventually learn to ride a motorcycle.  If nothing else, to have a fun toy to ride on nice days to work, or just ride around town.

So I noticed that a dealer group of HD dealers offers a course. Thoughts
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#1]
No. Msf through community college
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
this
usually result in a cert to get your license when you pass

even experienced riders can learn alot
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
this

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this

I went through the Harley course near me specifically to get my license. I don't know if the course you referenced will accomplish the same thing. I was bored out of my mind, but I had been riding for a while. Though, it's an excellent starting point if you've never ridden.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agree. Find a local Motorcycle Safety Foundation course and not a glorified sales pitch.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I did mine last year through HD. I used the heros ride for free program so it was free for me. Otherwise I think its like 300 around here.  Well worth it. The first day, half of it was just them walking us through the store trying to make sales lol But other than that they did a great job. I had never been on a bike before that. By the end I was pretty comfy on the bike and they run you through the course so you're actually gtg with the dmv after. All I had to do was bring the certificate into the dmv and they added the enforcement to my license.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I took the HD course a while ago.  I think the thing that I liked most was class size, only like 6-7 people total, whereas the CC course was considerably larger.  I can only speak about local courses, I'm sure that CC courses might be smaller elsewhere.  I thought the course was pretty useful.  I still make eye contact with drivers in cars at stop signs, even if I'm in my truck.  Has become a habit, albeit a very useful one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I did mine last year through HD. I used the heros ride for free program so it was free for me. Otherwise I think its like 300 around here.  Well worth it. The first day, half of it was just them walking us through the store trying to make sales lol But other than that they did a great job. I had never been on a bike before that. By the end I was pretty comfy on the bike and they run you through the course so you're actually gtg with the dmv after. All I had to do was bring the certificate into the dmv and they added the enforcement to my license.
View Quote
I signed up for this but something came up and I couldn't make it. Tried again when it was offered later and nobody in town was doing the course. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Join the military and they will make you do it but it is free.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife went through it and liked it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Can you ride at all (know how to use a motorcycle clutch, shift, start the bike, difference between front and rear brakes, etc.)?

If you can't ride at all, my advice would be to just get yourself (or find someone with) a small beat-up dirtbike then find a grassy field and ride your heart out. The grass/dirt is a lot more forgiving than blacktop.

Then go ahead and take whatever, if not all of, classes you can find.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#11]
if you have some property buy a cheap dirt bike and practice, I taught myself how to ride a few years ago like this.  You'll also learn cool things such as

How to replace a bent handle bar, How to remove a bent foot peg and many other life skills!!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I want to eventually learn to ride a motorcycle.  If nothing else, to have a fun toy to ride on nice days to work, or just ride around town.

So I noticed that a dealer group of HD dealers offers a course. Thoughts
View Quote

I'm in construction and have actually built 3 dealerships and a riders education building/course.  do it!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can you ride at all (know how to use a motorcycle clutch, shift, start the bike, difference between front and rear brakes, etc.)?

If you can't ride at all, my advice would be to just get yourself (or find someone with) a small beat-up dirtbike then find a grassy field and ride your heart out. The grass/dirt is a lot more forgiving than blacktop.

View Quote

I can ride a bicycle(which is one of the prerequesites for the HD course).
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I signed up for this but something came up and I couldn't make it. Tried again when it was offered later and nobody in town was doing the course. 
View Quote
Man that's a bummer. I got lucky. The HD dealer is like 2 blocks from my house and I just happened to be on vacation when a couple guys from work signed up for the classes so I figured WTH. I am glad I did. I bought a Suzuki boulevard 2 days after I passed the class and couldnt be happier.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Took the HD course last year and it was excellent. As a veteran, it was free. I think they charge $90 for vets and LEO/Fire now. Really had no previous riding experience to speak of. Although I was expecting it there was no sales pitch whatsoever.
The owner of the dealership did stop by on the classroom night and gave us a tour of the store and answered questions.

Finished the class and received the MSF card.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I took it for free with their heros program and got my MSF card and a voucher to take to the license office and get my motorcycle endorsement.  I'm trying to get my wife to go since it's $99 now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Just signed up again. Now to find a date I can attend!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just signed up again. Now to find a date I can attend!
View Quote
I'd be interested in finding out how you liked the bike they provided.  As I understand it it's more of an entry-level Harley.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I took the MSF Basic Rider Course a couple weeks ago. Had my motorcycle permit prior to taking the course, and after passing the riding and written tests at the end, got a waiver for my road test.

It was fun, and IMO, worth it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'd be interested in finding out how you liked the bike they provided.  As I understand it it's more of an entry-level Harley.
View Quote
I'll report back.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll report back.
View Quote
Thank you
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:40:50 AM EDT
[#23]
The local HD dealerships that participate in the riders training uses the same company that's contracted to do the Military training.
That same company is also one of the state listed motorcycle safety companies.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Here in Missouri, the HD dealers use the exact same curriculum as all other MSF coarses. Usually the HD dealers are anywhere from $100-$200 more than anywhere else in the state for the exact same coarse. The only difference is that at the HD coarse you ride a HD Street 500 and all others put you on some type of 250cc bike. 

Either way, I highly recommend taking the safety coarse no matter what your skill level is. I had to take the coarse numerous times while in the Army (every time I changed duty stations).
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Harley's class IS an MSF course.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#26]
HD is the only one around here that I know of that gives the MSF class. I took it through them and they did not try to sell anything. It was a good class. They limit it to six people so it is easier to get good instruction.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did think about this route.  But I have a few problems.
1) No real place to put a dirt bike.
2) No suitable vehicle to tow it.
3) No one with land to ride it on.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I recommend at least the MSF course or the HD one. If you have not ridden I would see if you can find someone with a small beater bike or dirt bike ( but they can be tall) and just learn to operate the clutch, brakes, and shifter. You will get more out of the course IMHO if you aren't also trying to learn the other beginner stuff.

I have taught a few beginners and one of the things I start them on is getting the bike moving with clutch only. Once you have mastered that you can get into more throttle and shifting. Learning the clutch only usually eliminates the panic start which can result in falling, popping wheelies etc. You may stall it a few times but IMHO it is safer and also prevents the burning of the clutch.

Good luck and be safe out there. Everyone is on a cell phone and out to run you over. Had a nice ride today!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, have you looked at a Honda Ruckus?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OP, have you looked at a Honda Ruckus?
View Quote
Sort of. If I were to buy a moped it would be my moped of choice.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Here is the scoop:

In most cases, the HD course IS the MSF Basic Rider Course.  There are only a few differences:  The HD course is often more expensive.  And it basically is simply the MSF BRC with some added hours.  The addition?:  You stand around and listen to the HD sales pitch.  In other words, you are paying to have someone try and up sell you a bike.  There is one other difference.  The experts at MSF recognized that most learners do better on a bike that is under 400 lbs, under 400cc, and has a seat height that is relatively low.  Any bike that meets two out of three of those criteria is 'acceptable" as a training bike.  However, HS doesnt make a suitable trainer.  So, HD has a 'special waiver' that permits them to use bikes in their classes that would be unsuitable for training anywhere else.    These aren't my rules.  I'm just stating MSF policy.

There you go.  You can do the HD Riders Edge, and get the HD sales pitch, or you can sign up anywhere else and do the MSF Basic Rider Course.  Same thing.   Only one costs more in many cases, and uses bigger bikes and includes a sale pitch.

For what its worth, the basic rider course is typically VERY worthwhile.  Its a novice program, but even intermediate riders typically learn enough to be worthwhile.  the increased confidence that comes with the course usually means the course is worthwhile if only for the increased joy riding.

Overwhelmingly, riders who are self taught, or taught by friends and family members, have some really BAD habits and usually pick up a lot of "helpful information" that is really just myth.  take the course.  its worth it
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes, they will try to use this as an opportunity to force the HD message down your throat. However, with the propaganda aside, due to liability and wanting you to have fun (they want you to enjoy so you buy a bike after all!) you will get credible and solid training.  Go for it!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#35]
As long as it's solid training I'm ok paying $99 as a vet. I guess that's why they spend 2.5 days. The half must be the sales pitch. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Deej, the problem with the MSF courses in Illinois is a good portion of the bikes used in the classes are complete piles of junk.  A friend of mine took the course recently and the bike he was given was misfiring and they made him ride it the entire weekend.  He told me that many other students were complaining of all kinds of problems.
snip.
View Quote
Thank you for the information! I am leaning towards a standard/cruiser type bike anyway.  I'm 31 and am not too interested in a sport bike.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#38]
So they teach you how to tow a bike? Proper tie down techniques? How far to park your trailered ride from the bike rally?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So they teach you how to tow a bike? Proper tie down techniques? How far to park your trailered ride from the bike rally?
View Quote
Apparently they give you their basic smallest bike to ride.

Yes, yes, I know, Harley joke.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:16:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Had the GF attend the HD class at HD of Lancaster, PA.  Class sucked.  

This from one who has taken the advanced riders course from MSF.

I would suggest another route.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 6:02:05 AM EDT
[#41]
For what it's worth.   I looked at all available options in the DFW area - found a HD dealer that did the course all onsite.   Decent hours for the spousal unit and kids.   Bikes were all street 500's with full crash bars.   Engineered for training.   See if you can find that in a generic school.  

So - they loved it.  Walked away with MSF course, MC endorsement, insurance discount, and a good experience.   Instructor team was excellent.  

HD dealer network is a machine, and brand driven.   But consistent.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#42]
It usually works out to be a draw.  Sometimes there's a monetary difference, but that too can be a blessing.  Around here the MSF courses can take up to six months to get in.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Just as an FYI, I received my endorsement back in the 80s.  I took the MSF course last summer with a friend who was just getting his license.  I learned a TON of valuable info. I am a much better rider now
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Had the GF attend the HD class at HD of Lancaster, PA.  Class sucked.  

This from one who has taken the advanced riders course from MSF.

I would suggest another route.
View Quote
I did the HD course last year and it was fantastic. The coach was great as well as the person demonstrating the skills. I think it boils down to the training cadre. 
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Both of my MSF course instructors were vets and they spent a lot of time trashing eachother; one was Navy, one was USMC.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm signed up for Thur, Sat-Sun. I'll report back how it goes.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm signed up for Thur, Sat-Sun. I'll report back how it goes.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#48]
I took a class through ChiTown HD over in Tinley Park years ago. It cost me vs the MSF class at JJC, but it worked with my schedule and I was able to get in the class easily. In the end I got my MSF cert just like the CC class. It was a bit of a commercial though. One night we took a break during class and the instructor asked everyone to walk down to the showroom and take a pic on your favorite HD. After a while he found me still walking around and asked me to find my favorite bike. I told him I did not like HDs and did not want to sit on one.
Besides the HD promotion thrown in, it was fine. At the time, they used the Buell Blast for the riding portion of the class. The other thing was that they had someone from the DMV come out and you did your riding portion of the test with their bike ( I didn't have any friends that rode at the time). After completion, they give you a certificate and you take that to the DMV office and they add the endorsement to your license
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Had the first class tonight. I like the Rider Coach. One of the first things he told us is that we didn't need tonight and that it was just for marketing to us.  I liked his honesty. He said if we took it anywhere else it'd be a 2-day course. However, on the positive side he said they have nicer bikes.

We covered just a few sections from the book and watched a couple of short videos. We covered the three types of bikes: street, off-highway, and dual-purpose. Then we covered the controls and indicators. Finally, we covered starting/stopping the engine, the clutch, riding posture, basic turning, braking, and shifting.

We have a small class. Only 6 students. I'm the only guy without a bike. One of the guys rides daily so he's just trying to be legal now. Three just bought bikes and the last has getting his back from his son. So I'm the guy without any experience. I'm still feeling good. During the gear walk-through of the store the girl that covered the clothing area told us we have a great instructor and that he taught her to ride.

Looking forward to Sat!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#50]
MSF at college of dupage.

Just show up when one is scheduled.  If there are no shows, they'll put you in.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top