Pros: 550HP, $42K
Cons: 2012

What says the Hive?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Fo on both. 87k should be doable.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I would think that for almost $50,000.....you could fine a much more fun "toy"...........those Caddy's are cool, but there are a lot better options out there for that kind of money.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would think that for almost $50,000.....you could fine a much more fun "toy"...........those Caddy's are cool, but there are a lot better options out there for that kind of money.
View Quote
I don't like Beemers, and I want 3 pedals.  That significantly cuts down on the choices.

Tuned ATS-V are already making 500+HP, and it's pretty easy to get 700HP from the CTS-V.

Plus, there's nothing more pathetic that a 50 year old dude driving around in a sports car, screaming "I have a small penis and am having a midlife crisis".
(so no Corvette, Mustang, etc)
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#4]
2015-2017 Chevy SS in manual (Holden commodore! will be collectible now that holden is going away)

magnetic ride control, Hud, front and rear brembos (on 2016+), heated and cooled seats, active exhaust LS3 under the hood.

I love mine! its a 2016 got it for 39k new when they ran the 20% off sale last nov. they ran it again about a month and a half ago.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I drove an XTS V with the detuned twin turbo V6. It doesn't sound great, but it sure does haul ass. I would buy a Camaro SS for the same price and get the better sounding V8. The alpha platform is a monster though, you'll be happy if you buy the ats v, it does really well in the corners.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
1. You are retarded if you spend that kind of money on a re-bodied Camaro.  The ATS is the new "Firebird"
2. You are retarded if you think people look at an old guy and think the shit you wrote.  You can say shit about anyone, need to grow up a lil bit here OP.  "those guys" are the ones who buy a V6 Mustang and think they are hot shit. but that goes for anyone who buys a V6 mustang.
3. Cadillacs are the WORST when it comes to depreciation, like second to none

If you are spending $50,000 you buy
1. C6 Z06 or ZR1 505hp / 632hp
2. 2nd gen Viper GTS
3. mid 2000s 911 Turbo
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my ATS...wish it was a V but they weren't out when I bought mine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:38:40 AM EDT
[#8]
One's a hammer and one's a scalpel.

The 2nd gen V is a great performance bargain.  It sounds great and makes great power stock, with easy, reliable power after that. Stops well, turns well, drag races well, half-miles well, circuits well, easy to maintain since it's just a fuckin' LS underneath the TVS-1900.  Edit: as mentioned CTS-V2's are dropping in price like a rock since the V3 came out. It's really upsetting the community .  The coupe you have selected there will maintain value a bit more, but I'd personally look for an auto/Recaros sedan and party hard.

ATS-V is a badass machine but it's noises are uninspiring and it's very small.  The aftermarket is miniscule in comparison and those engines tend to throw rods with just a bit more HP than what they come with factory.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:40:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Like what?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't like Beemers, and I want 3 pedals.  That significantly cuts down on the choices.

Tuned ATS-V are already making 500+HP, and it's pretty easy to get 700HP from the CTS-V.

Plus, there's nothing more pathetic that a 50 year old dude driving around in a sports car, screaming "I have a small penis and am having a midlife crisis".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

could you please stop thinking about my penis
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
1. You are retarded if you spend that kind of money on a re-bodied Camaro.  The ATS is the new "Firebird"
2. You are retarded if you think people look at an old guy and think the shit you wrote.  You can say shit about anyone, need to grow up a lil bit here OP.  "those guys" are the ones who buy a V6 Mustang and think they are hot shit. but that goes for anyone who buys a V6 mustang.

2. 2nd gen Viper GTS
3. mid 2000s 911 Turbo
View Quote
I would just like to confirm that people do, in fact, think those things about 50 yr old guys driving Mustangs/Camaros/Corvettes... regardless of engine size.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I would just like to confirm that people do, in fact, think those things about 50 yr old guys driving Mustangs/Camaros/Corvettes... regardless of engine size.
View Quote
You mean like every man driving a mini-van is a "beta male"  or every woman in a Jeep wrangler is a "basic bitch" or every black guy in a mercedes is a rapper??  When you learn not to give a fuck about what other people think only then will you actually be happy.

For $50,000 there is no question about what to get, 2011-2013 C6 Corvette Z06 or 2009-2010 ZR1.  You could put 20,000 miles on the car and in 3 years sell it for within $5,000 of what you paid for it.  Can't do that with any Cadillac.

If you want luxury performance you buy a BMW, nothing else.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You mean like every man driving a mini-van is a "beta male"  or every woman in a Jeep wrangler is a "basic bitch" or every black guy in a mercedes is a rapper??  When you learn not to give a fuck about what other people think only then will you actually be happy.

For $50,000 there is no question about what to get, 2011-2013 C6 Corvette Z06 or 2009-2010 ZR1.  You could put 20,000 miles on the car and in 3 years sell it for within $5,000 of what you paid for it.  Can't do that with any Cadillac.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's cool dude, there's nothing wrong with being hung like a hamster, and I'm sure your 'vette is a bitchin' ride.

All joking aside, while this will car will primarily be a "fun" car, it is not inconceivable that I might have to drive clients around in it, so the boy racer muscle cars are out.  The only other cars fit my criteria are the Audi RS5 and BMW M6, neither of which I can afford. I briefly considered a Euro Exotic, but I've been down that road before, and I still have plenty of scars to show for it. I did look at the SS, but they're not significantly cheaper than the Caddys, and they're naturally aspirated (I'm biased towards forced induction).

I'm kinda leaning towards the CTS-V, the aftermarket is robust and extra HP is cheap and plentiful.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Huh. Seem to have struck a nerve.

Honestly, I don't really care what people think of me or what I drive. Hell, I commute on a 17 year old motorcycle.

Stereotypes exist, and that's something you simply can't change, despite all of your blustering and chest thumping. Old guys in sports cars are seen as a joke, like they're in the middle of a mid-life crisis and/or recently divorced and trying in vain to pick up younger girls with their "cool" car.

Drive what you like. I don't give a shit. Seriously. Just know that the folks glancing over at you at the light aren't necessarily thinking "That guy looks cool as hell."
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Wait for the RS3.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Huh. Seem to have struck a nerve.

Honestly, I don't really care what people think of me or what I drive. Hell, I commute on a 17 year old motorcycle.

Stereotypes exist, and that's something you simply can't change, despite all of your blustering and chest thumping. Old guys in sports cars are seen as a joke, like they're in the middle of a mid-life crisis and/or recently divorced and trying in vain to pick up younger girls with their "cool" car.

Drive what you like. I don't give a shit. Seriously. Just know that the folks glancing over at you at the light aren't necessarily thinking "That guy looks cool as hell."
View Quote
Didn't strike a nerve more so voicing strong opposition to anyone who doesn't buy what they like out of fear of what others may think.  I normally am a pretty nice laid back guy but always buy the most obnoxious "fuck your rules" types of cars as thats what I like.  If I worried about others I wouldn't have the cool shit that I have
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd go with the CTS, but I'm a little biasised having a first gen CTS-V.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I love my ATS...wish it was a V but they weren't out when I bought mine.
View Quote
Would it have made a difference if they were out when you bought your ATS?  The V model is like twice the price.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wait for the RS3.
View Quote
There's no way I can afford a new RS3.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd go ctsv, but it needs mo doors.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd go ctsv, but it needs mo doors.
View Quote
Already have a 4-door:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#22]
If you love the look of the coupe, then by all means, pay the extra (lots extra) for it, but if you just want a CTS-V, the sedan is the performance bargain out of the second generation of CTS-V's.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you love the look of the coupe, then by all means, pay the extra (lots extra) for it, but if you just want a CTS-V, the sedan is the performance bargain out of the second generation of CTS-V's.
View Quote
I thought so too, but once I started looking, the price difference wasn't all that much (maybe $2K).  I guess most people buying a used CTS-V are looking at the sedan, so their prices are staying pretty high, and the dealers are not as willing to negotiate.  Some coupes have been on Truecar for over a year, whereas sedans tend to move pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I like the CTS-V coupe.  Good looking car with great performance.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#25]
If you can't pick , I don't know enough about either to give an opinion.
I'd get the least abused of the two.

Look at the pedals and pick the one with the least worn clutch pedal face.  Means more highway miles = best mile are highway miles.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#26]
CTS-V. I had one and it was glorious.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

2. 2nd gen Viper GTS
3. mid 2000s 911 Turbo
View Quote
Earning the scorn of someone like you would be an honor. Thinking about a V6 1LE Camaro.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I just bought a 2014 cts v sedan and love it. I have kids so it is definitely easier to take the family around and have a little fun. Can't do that in the vette. Can't wait to start modding it.

As far as depreciation, the AMG's and BMW's are pretty bad too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just bought a 2014 cts v sedan and love it. I have kids so it is definitely easier to take the family around and have a little fun. Can't do that in the vette. Can't wait to start modding it.

As far as depreciation, the AMG's and BMW's are pretty bad too.
View Quote
Both cars are used.  Obviously the CTS-V has already had the biggest chunk of depreciation over with, whereas the ATS-V will probably drop another $4-5K over the next few years, but I'm not too concerned about that.  It's not an investment, after all.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Both cars are used.  Obviously the CTS-V has already had the biggest chunk of depreciation over with, whereas the ATS-V will probably drop another $4-5K over the next few years, but I'm not too concerned about that.  It's not an investment, after all.
View Quote
the ATS-V has been struggling from the beginning whereas the CTS-V has been selling every unit made since they came out.  Yes, both will take a hit (it's the way any performance segment luxury car does) but the CTS-V's depreciation looks to be about over; the rockiest time was when the 3rd generation came out.  On the other hand they can't move ATS-V's at all;  there were some on Autotrader brand new for under $50k.  That's just nuts, given how incredible those cars are on the track.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Earning the scorn of someone like you would be an honor. Thinking about a V6 1LE Camaro.
View Quote
Go ahead man and waste your money, it doesn't effect me.  You are the one buying a car missing a 1/3rd of it's engine and only differs from a rental car in that youre paying EXTRA for wannabe 1LE parts.  A camaro or mustang w/o a V8 is a terrible car, poor balance, poor weight to power ratio, etc.  There's a millions better cars to buy if you want a V6.  Plus you'll get zero respect from any Camaro or Mustang enthusiast trying to sport a V6 car.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#32]
The aftermarket on the LSA engine is insane. Id go for the CTS V.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Like what?
View Quote
As stated above........

2. 2nd gen Viper GTS
3. mid 2000s 911 Turbo
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#34]
*edit
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#35]
OP... if you want crazy fast and lots of HP,

VIPER. It's easily in your price range. 600 HP, 560 flbs and can spin the 355 wide rear tires on the highway, breaking them loose at 60 mph.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OP... if you want crazy fast and lots of HP,

VIPER. It's easily in your price range. 600 HP, 560 flbs and can spin the 355 wide rear tires on the highway, breaking them loose at 60 mph.
View Quote
Yeah, but can it carry 4 people without 2 of them having to ride in the trunk?

Looks like I'll be picking up the CTS-V this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Passengers just slow you down and add unneeded weight.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As stated above........

2. 2nd gen Viper GTS
3. mid 2000s 911 Turbo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like what?
As stated above........

2. 2nd gen Viper GTS
3. mid 2000s 911 Turbo
He wants a back seat.

So, that doesn't work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top