Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 11:57:16 PM EDT
So my 09 F150 King Ranch 4x4 is making noise and running rough at idle. Really noticed it at the drive-thru.

The noise mimics what I had seen on Youtube vids.

Now I read that Ford says it is an 8 hour job. Given Ford made crap I am not going to give their dealers a dime.
Any idea what the real time involved is and an approx dollar figure from an independent. I have read numbers from $1,300 to $2,300 which seems insane.

What are the pitfalls of delaying the repair?

One forum I read said that using a thicker oil like 5w30 would help to keep the cam phaser lubricated and let it run smoother. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I've known people to go years with the noise and not have any other issues but there have been other cases where the phaser completely fails and causes further valve train damage.  I'd say $1800 is a good average cost for the job, unfortunately.  I guess if it were me and I had the money, I'd get them replaced.  If not, start saving and hope they don't fail completely.  DIY if you feel comfortable with it. Once you get them fixed, I'd try to sell the truck;)
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:27:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What are the pitfalls of delaying the repair?
View Quote

Cam chain jumps on the sprocket causing it to go out of time, running the valves in to the pistons.  Or it tears a chunk out of the valve cover and it spews oil on to a hot exhaust manifold.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#3]
People drive 100,000 miles with cam phaser noise.  

Mine does it.  Sounds like a diesel at a drive through.  The kit to replace it all right is about $1100 (full re-time job plus oil pump).  $700 to $900 labor.  

I am either going to do it myself one day, or just live with it on my engine with 150k, and put that $2000 toward a replacement engine if it ever comes to that.  You never know.  I could total it tomorrow.  So I will likely keep kicking this can down the curb.  If my engine only had 75k on it.... and I didnt drive it much, and I planned on keeping it forever, then I'd be inclined to do the full re-time job.

Want to know about Fords and the whole timing issues?  This is the guy.  I wish his shop was closer.  https://www.youtube.com/user/FordTechMakuloco/videos

Ford Quick Tips #74: 5.4L 3v Phaser Oscillation and Knocking Noise Explained
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've known people to go years with the noise and not have any other issues but there have been other cases where the phaser completely fails and causes further valve train damage.  I'd say $1800 is a good average cost for the job, unfortunately.  I guess if it were me and I had the money, I'd get them replaced.  If not, start saving and hope they don't fail completely.  DIY if you feel comfortable with it. Once you get them fixed, I'd try to sell the truck;)
View Quote
My rationale on the delay is because I have a project going on and can't be without it, but once done I would trade it in toward a Dodge.

Second Ford F150 and never again.
Two Chevy's, one S-10 and it sucked, one 2500 that I ran that into the ground.
So I figured I might try Dodge.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:52:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Cam chain jumps on the sprocket causing it to go out of time, running the valves in to the pistons.  Or it tears a chunk out of the valve cover and it spews oil on to a hot exhaust manifold.
View Quote
Oil onto hot exhaust manifold you say. Hmmm flames might be fun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]
don't take it to ford...they will say something to the tune of...

your engine has no oil pressure at idle, it sounds like a diesel,you need a new engine...
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

your engine has no oil pressure at idle, it sounds like a diesel,you need a new engine...
View Quote
Loose your ass on cam phaser repairs where the noise comes back in a month or two and you'd say the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Learned my lesson about dealers when the Honda dealer told me I needed a new catalytic converter for well over $1k when it turned out to be a sensor for well under $100.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
People drive 100,000 miles with cam phaser noise.  

Mine does it.  Sounds like a diesel at a drive through.  The kit to replace it all right is about $1100 (full re-time job plus oil pump).  $700 to $900 labor.  

I am either going to do it myself one day, or just live with it on my engine with 150k, and put that $2000 toward a replacement engine if it ever comes to that.  You never know.  I could total it tomorrow.  So I will likely keep kicking this can down the curb.  If my engine only had 75k on it.... and I didnt drive it much, and I planned on keeping it forever, then I'd be inclined to do the full re-time job.

Want to know about Fords and the whole timing issues?  This is the guy.  I wish his shop was closer.  https://www.youtube.com/user/FordTechMakuloco/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvXoQ03shC8
View Quote
So my gov't mandated new fuel standards so a thinner oil and now I am looking at an $1,800 repair.

Fuck the Gov't and Fuck FORD for not fessing up and taking responsibility!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is Ford's response.

Special Service Message
21574 4.6L 3V/5.4L 3V Engine Tick/Rattle from VCT 800-1200 RPM DO NOT ATTEMPT SERVICE
2009-2010 F150 with 4.6L 3V, 2005-2010 F150 with 5.4L 3V....

Some customers may be concerned with tick/rattle noises from the VCT on light tip-in accel, between 800-1200 RPM. This condition may be most noticeable operating vehicle in confined areas such as drive-thru. The noise is eliminated when VCT solenoids are unplugged. This condition should be considered normal characteristics of the engine. Do not attempt engine repairs to change this normal condition. This condition does not affect performance or durability of the engine.
Effective Date: 11/10/2010
What happens is the tensioner seals fail, which cause bypass pressure, so enough oil pressure doesn't get up to the VCT phaser, and causes the knock.  This is made worse by the fact that the factory oil pump is pretty weak, which is why the guy I posted above recommends the Melling upgrade when you do the fix.  The weak tensioners cause the chain guides to flap, which will end up with them breaking often.

If you install the updated Phasers, new tensioners, chain, guides, oil pump, and then switch to 5W30, it will probably last 200,000 miles before knocking again.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Some have replaced the phaser solenoid that the last talks about unplugging. The solenoids have a updated design. Some have reported blocked screens when replacing them.
The early years come right out the valve cover while the later years require you to remove the valve cover

So unless you have chain noise try the solenoids first

USE MOTORCRAFT PARTS ONLY for the solenoids and phasers
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:24:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i would want to see base oil pressure HOT, before committing to that big of a repair. often times motor job is not far behind.
View Quote
Not as much on the the 5.4's.  This is a common failure item even with low miles because of poor designs in the tensioner and phaser, and the choice of using 5w20 as the spec.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:38:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds more like a bad coil or several to me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:20:28 AM EDT
[#16]
If it's the phasers I'd look into the Livernois cam phaser lockout kit. I did my phasers in a 5.4 and the noise was coming back after a couple of months. If I'd have known about the lockout kit I'd have probably kept that vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If it's the phasers I'd look into the Livernois cam phaser lockout kit. I did my phasers in a 5.4 and the noise was coming back after a couple of months. If I'd have known about the lockout kit I'd have probably kept that vehicle.
View Quote
What are the disadvantages of the lockout kit?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You lose the low end torque that the VCT provides, which is why I have no interest in that.  It basically locks the timing to a single position mechanically.  If you don't want to spend the money on a real solution, I wouldn't spend any money at all and just live with the rattle at low RPM's.  But to do it right, you need to replace the whole timing kit, with the updated phasers, tensioners, guides, new melling oil pump, chain, inspect your rockers, springs, and lash adjusters.  Paying someone to do a "partial" job is just throwing good money after bad, IMHO.  I suppose it depends on how long you plan to keep your truck.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I plan on keeping it awhile so I guess I will bite the bullet and do the phasers and spark plugs at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any idea what the real time involved is and an approx dollar figure from an independent.
View Quote

It's a simple DIY
Cam Phaser DIY
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
The phaser lockout is literally just a machined "cube" of aluminum that blocks the phaser from making any sort of adjustment.

The major disadvantage of the lockout or phaser limiter is that it will require a tune. That will cost you more than the lockout kit itself.

For what it's worth, I did the lockout on my mustang 40k miles ago when I did cams and have never had any problems out of my top end. Still runs like new (albiet louder and choppier).

ETA: swapping phasers isn't hard though. You just need a solid method of locking the chain in place (like a timing chain wedge). You'll need an in.lb. torque wrench too. Just pop off the valve cover, lock timing chain, loosen phaster bolt, unbolt cam caps, swap phasers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The phaser lockout is literally just a machined "cube" of aluminum that blocks the phaser from making any sort of adjustment.

The major disadvantage of the lockout or phaser limiter is that it will require a tune. That will cost you more than the lockout kit itself.

For what it's worth, I did the lockout on my mustang 40k miles ago when I did cams and have never had any problems out of my top end. Still runs like new (albiet louder and choppier).

ETA: swapping phasers isn't hard though. You just need a solid method of locking the chain in place (like a timing chain wedge). You'll need an in.lb. torque wrench too. Just pop off the valve cover, lock timing chain, loosen phaster bolt, unbolt cam caps, swap phasers.
View Quote
I have rarely seen replacing just the phasers cure the problem. The tensioner seals leak oil pressure going to the phaser.....
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I want a 05-09 king ranch crew so fricken bad but these exact issues scare the crap out of me!!

Every truck I find has atleast 100k on it.

Ford experts - should be scared away? I haven't owned a ford since the 2004 model been Chevy ever since. I would like to get back into a Ford but their power trains scare the shit out of me!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#24]
it can happen again just so you know
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I want a 05-09 king ranch crew so fricken bad but these exact issues scare the crap out of me!!

Every truck I find has atleast 100k on it.

Ford experts - should be scared away? I haven't owned a ford since the 2004 model been Chevy ever since. I would like to get back into a Ford but their power trains scare the shit out of me!
View Quote
the good news is ford and gm will be or already are sharing powertrains
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#26]
If I was doing the phasers I would never do hold chain in place and swap out just the phaser.

The main cause is low oil pressure/ flow to the phaser. This is most likely cause by blown out chain adjusters gaskets.

The right way to do is a complete tear down of the front end to replace everything as mentioned by others.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#27]
There's also a screen under an Allen plug in the vct block that needs to be removed and cleaned. Be careful not to break it....ford does not sell the screen by itself.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:50:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I've gone 240000km in my 2010 F150 listening to that ticking noise...

I figure if she lets go one day I'll just leave her by the side of the road.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top