Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2017 5:12:37 PM EDT
I have warped every set of factory front rotors on every car I have ever owned.  I drive fast and brake hard.  I will not be changing my driving style.  My 2013 Honda Pilot is, hopefully, the last vehicle I will purchase.  I once again warped the rotors, had them turned and then warped them again.  I need front rotors and pads that will hold up to the heavy braking of a mid-sized SUV.  Here are a couple I am looking at.

EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors

EBC Sport Rotors

Also looking at Red Stuff or Green Stuff pads.  Some other pad maybe?

My concern is that these are more for a racing application and they need to be heated up to perform properly.  Am I correct in that thinking?  Will these last?  Anything better to look at?

As always, thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
If you put an aggressive pad on there you're just gonna accelerate wear. If you won't change your driving style, you'll probably just keep having to put brakes on your cars no matter what you drive. 

Basically that Pilot isn't a race car and the stock braking system wasn't designed for your intended use. 

I usually recommend people get something like a Brembo or Mountain rotor with Akebono ceramic pad as they last very long. But that's basically what's OE for every Asian manufacturer. 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#2]
EBC makes great rotors that last a.long time, the coating really keeps the rust away. The drilled rotors are just for show as modern pads don't gas like they used to, slotted work fine but are noisy when you stop hard.
I installed EBC slotted rotors with Akebono pro-act pads at all 4 corners on my commuter car (08 Nissan Altima Coupe), as stated above they last a long time, now remember the car has a  single speed CVT transmission & is driven mostly highway miles, I'm going on 7 years & 100k on the pads & rotors , great stuff!
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
What about an aggressive pad with a rotor built to handle it?

Edit:  Meant to quote Jbecker72
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
EBC makes great rotors that last a.long time, the coating really keeps the rust away. The drilled rotors are just for show as modern pads don't gas like they used to, slotted work fine but are noisy when you stop hard.
View Quote
Is there a non-slotted that is built for hard core stopping?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I could not find one so I went with the slotted, they were well worth the price!
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What about an aggressive pad with a rotor built to handle it?

Edit:  Meant to quote Jbecker72
View Quote
They usually still wear pretty quick when you are talking about a performance or track pad. 

My buddy had a VW Golf with a Porsche big brake kit. It used 911 discs and calipers and an aggressive pad. Stopped like a mofo. Ate rotors in 10k miles too. 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm, so maybe a high wearing rotor with pads that are not too aggressive.  Or does that kind of defeat the purpose of a high wear/performance caliper?  

I have tried to change my driving style in the past.  Always reverted back to my current state of driving.  Just need a rotor that can keep up with me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the EBC slotted rotors and the green pads on my 2011 Chevy Avalanche, changed them late last fall and they have been fantastic.  No noise, great braking, some dust, but not too bad.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, do you live your life a quarter mile at a time?

JK, but seriously you can always tell how good a driver is by how long their brakes lasts.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have the EBC slotted rotors and the green pads on my 2011 Chevy Avalanche, changed them late last fall and they have been fantastic.  No noise, great braking, some dust, but not too bad.  
View Quote
This is the combo I am considering going with.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Centric makes the best non-slotted rotors I have found.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife is a hard on her brakes too.  She actually scares the shit out of me approaching a stop sign.  She has yet to warp her 2013 Pilot rotors.  As much as you don't want to change your driving style, you really might want to reconsider it.  Beating on a car like that is totally unnecessary and fucked up. They're not designed to be driven that way, or they wouldn't warp. Honda rotors are probably one of the best ones made for that car.  Wife's car has 96,000 miles on the original brakes.  I've got new pads from Honda in the shop waiting on time to install them and get the rotors turned.
I tried Power Stops on my son's car. They warped like cheap Advance Rotors hitting a water puddle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I had the same exact problem with a heavy car in a hot Texas environment - heavy traffic. I could trash standard rotors in no time. What I had was something called brake judder and I suspect you do to.

I have tried several rotor and brake combos. The best rotors I found if you are having problems are the EBC-Slotted rotors. I however am no fan of there pads. I much prefer HAWK HPS pads. Hawk pads are some of the very best if you like a lot of grip but they do generate a lot of dust.

When installing rotors, make darn certain the hub is free and clear of rust and crud. I use sandpaper to clean it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had the same exact problem with a heavy car in a hot Texas environment - heavy traffic. I could trash standard rotors in no time. What I had was something called brake judder and I suspect you do to.

I have tried several rotor and brake combos. The best rotors I found if you are having problems are the EBC-Slotted rotors. I however am no fan of there pads. I much prefer HAWK HPS pads. Hawk pads are some of the very best if you like a lot of grip but they do generate a lot of dust.

When installing rotors, make darn certain the hub is free and clear of rust and crud. I use sandpaper to clean it.
View Quote
It is looking like the EBC slotted rotors are the way to go.  Was thinking about EBC Green Stuff but looking at other options.  

And yes, it is messed up that I go through rotors the way I do.  It isn't all my fault.  The area I live in has a lot of hills and a lot of quick go, quick stop traffic.  At least that's my excuse.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't think I'm that hard on my FJ Cruiser's brakes but it seems like I can't escape brake judder either.  After installing the current set of OEM pads & rotors I was careful to go easy on them to avoid getting brake judder and it seemed to work for a while but now I have it again.  I drive a in a fair amount of stop & go traffic.  I may have to look into the slotted rotors for my next brake job.  Other than the reoccurring brake judder I have no other brake issues.

ETA: do you recommend the slotted rotors or the slotted & dimpled rotors?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I have no experience with the cross drilled but from a lot of online research those are best for  special applications?

I went with the slotted for max cooling and it does indeed seem to work.

The larger issue is that a great many OEMs from Japan to the US auto makers actually are buying rotor castings from china and that seems to be the big problem. The EBC are cast in the UK/USA and they are using better metal as well as better procedures in the casting cycle. The result is a much better rotor to begin with.

And that pains me to say it as I like to do the Brit bash thing too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like EBC Slotted rotors and Green Stuff pads are the way to go.  Looked into Hawk but they are not made for the Pilot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Based on my own experience, I think they are a great combo and would be hard to beat without spending a lot more.  Do it!

I priced them out various ways, but in the end went with Amazon Prime.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I went the other way.
instead of finding rotors and pads that might not warp, I bought lifetime rotors from oriely's.

They are a few bucks more than the 1 year or 3 year and they don't question warpage.
I call them to order a set in. I take my old ones off and swap them when they come in.

I know I won't be able to keep a set more than a year or two and don't bother to take the risk on cheap china junk and paying a preimum for a name that has no real warranty.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Bought the rotors and pads last night.  Should arrive in a couple weeks.  I will update when they arrive if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Op what do you mean by driving style?

Are you the guy that races up to the back of stopped cars or stop signs?    Or are you the guy wanted to buy a performance car but got kicked in the balls by that offensive word called "practicality"? not being a jerk just trying to figure out what you mean.

If you are wearing through front brakes on your Pilot either you are over driving the car or have installed cheap parts of potentially installed them wrong (dragging caliper).
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Are you the guy that races up to the back of stopped cars or stop signs?    Or are you the guy wanted to buy a performance car but got kicked in the balls by that offensive word called "practicality"? not being a jerk just trying to figure out what you mean.

If you are wearing through front brakes on your Pilot either you are over driving the car or have installed cheap parts of potentially installed them wrong (dragging caliper).
View Quote
Nope. None of those.  No tailgating and no racing up to the back of people.  The original rotors (warped) were turned by Honda when new pads were installed.  They did not last much longer after that and that is what is on the Pilot now.

I may have made myself out to be some maniac on the road.  I do tend to drive fast though.  Mostly I am defensive but will go on the offense when needed.  There are a lot of hills in my area.  A lot of downhill driving.  Most people I get stuck behind (not tailgating) on hills are riding their brakes all the way down.  Lots of stop and go traffic as well.  I know the Pilot is not a race car and I do not treat it as such.  I don't know what else to say.  I'm hard on brakes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nope. None of those.  No tailgating and no racing up to the back of people.  The original rotors (warped) were turned by Honda when new pads were installed.  They did not last much longer after that and that is what is on the Pilot now.

I may have made myself out to be some maniac on the road.  I do tend to drive fast though.  Mostly I am defensive but will go on the offense when needed.  There are a lot of hills in my area.  A lot of downhill driving.  Most people I get stuck behind (not tailgating) on hills are riding their brakes all the way down.  Lots of stop and go traffic as well.  I know the Pilot is not a race car and I do not treat it as such.  I don't know what else to say.  I'm hard on brakes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shouldn't feel guilty.  I really believe it's got a lot to do with poor quality steel coming out of China.  It's like that with just about any car parts these days.  Sure the stuff from Autozone or Advance or Pep Boys lines is from China or Mexico, that's a given.  You really have to look hard to find quality car parts made in the USA or other reputable manufacturing countries.  Hell, even Timken makes their stuff in China now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You shouldn't feel guilty.  I really believe it's got a lot to do with poor quality steel coming out of China.  It's like that with just about any car parts these days.  Sure the stuff from Autozone or Advance or Pep Boys lines is from China or Mexico, that's a given.  You really have to look hard to find quality car parts made in the USA or other reputable manufacturing countries.  Hell, even Timken makes their stuff in China now.
View Quote
That is why I am willing to pay more for quality.  I was originally going to go with Centric from RockAuto.com.  After doing some reading I decided that running far away from them was a wise decision.  I believe they had a lawsuit brought against them for not meeting some spec.  It could have been someone else though, I'll have to look it up.

Edit:  I am probably remembering that wrong as I can't find anything.  I could have sworn it was Centric and I read it on one of the big auto mags like Motor Trend.  Now it is bugging the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#25]
O.K., it was a lawsuit against Dura international for lightweight rotors.  Duralast maybe?  Midas stopped selling their rotors.  This was an article from around 2009.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Duralast is the AutoZone house brand.  I've come to find out pretty much any aftermarket rotor will suck ass and warp. Exceptions would be those installed by the factory such as Brembo, etc.  I will give it to you, hills will play hell on brakes.  I've owned Hondas since our Odyssey we bought back in '04.  Never have seen a Honda rotor that would warp.  The Pilots are about $105 each online from Honda parts places.  Honestly, I would go back that route, but you have my interest peaked now that you have bought the aftermarket ones.  Keep us updated as to how they hold up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Centric makes the best non-slotted rotors I have found.
View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:47:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are all the brake shop owners in your area driving Ferrari's and buying new boats every year?  If brake warpage is a geography problem everyone in your area should be experiencing similar issues ......
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:02:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Just get a standard ceramic pad, you do not want a racy or autocross pad on a Pilot. Depending on the pad, accelerated wear, screeching noise, and tons of dust are all you'll get. "Feel" is not that different, especially at street temps. The "streetable" HP+ I put on the Lotus are terrible unless you're literally just using them to get to the track and back. I remember not really liking the HPS on my Civic either.  No more.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#30]
I had Hawk HPS and Power Slot rotors on my 1995 Mustang GT that was upgraded to Cobra brakes.  Loved the combination.  Stopped great, low to no dust and quiet as a church mouse.

Car got totaled, put them on my sons car.  That car got totaled, and I put them on his current '95 GT.  First time ever I've heard of brakes outliving 2 cars and still in great shape on a 3rd.  

I tried Power Stop brand on my other boys car and they warped all to hell and back in less than 6 months. Right now he's running Bosch from O'Rielly's on the front and Advance Autos on the rear.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Are all the brake shop owners in your area driving Ferrari's and buying new boats every year?  If brake warpage is a geography problem everyone in your area should be experiencing similar issues ......
View Quote
Possibly
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just get a standard ceramic pad, you do not want a racy or autocross pad on a Pilot. Depending on the pad, accelerated wear, screeching noise, and tons of dust are all you'll get. "Feel" is not that different, especially at street temps. The "streetable" HP+ I put on the Lotus are terrible unless you're literally just using them to get to the track and back. I remember not really liking the HPS on my Civic either.  No more.
View Quote
What rotor was on your Lotus?  OEM or other?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Duralast is the AutoZone house brand.  I've come to find out pretty much any aftermarket rotor will suck ass and warp. Exceptions would be those installed by the factory such as Brembo, etc.  I will give it to you, hills will play hell on brakes.  I've owned Hondas since our Odyssey we bought back in '04.  Never have seen a Honda rotor that would warp.  The Pilots are about $105 each online from Honda parts places.  Honestly, I would go back that route, but you have my interest peaked now that you have bought the aftermarket ones.  Keep us updated as to how they hold up.
View Quote
Will do.  I might need to be reminded from time to time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What rotor was on your Lotus?  OEM or other?
View Quote
EBC, the black ones. HP+ are noisy as all hell especially on a light car.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Rotors and pads are in.  Hop to get them on Monday when I have time.  If there is any interest I can post pics and a little review.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Please do and follow the break in instructions too
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes, please follow up since I'm also about to do brakes on my wife's Pilot. I went OEM since my originals now have 97,000 miles on them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Since you refuse to change your driving style, just budget for regular brake replacements.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Please do and follow the break in instructions too
View Quote
Yep, read the instructions.  I don't have them in front of me but I believe EBC states to drive somewhat easily for 200 miles and then make 3 consecutive passes from 60-10 MPH.

Hmm, should have stated read the EBC break in procedure.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Rotors and pads are on.  Everything went on easy.  I managed to remember to take one pic.  And a shitty one at that.  I'll post it up tomorrow if you want to see it.  Easy drivin' for the next 200 miles and then following the EBC bedding procedure.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Since you refuse to change your driving style, just budget for regular brake replacements.
View Quote
+1

Or get a vehicle that was made for your driving style. Station wagons weren't designed to be driven like that.

If you try hard enough, you can warp even the best rotors, including the ones with all the little holes and grooves and cryo treatments and gimmicks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:04:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
OP, do you live your life a quarter mile at a time?

JK, but seriously you can always tell how good a driver is by how long their brakes lasts.
View Quote
Pilots are notorious for warping the OEM rotors.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

This is after 6 easy miles.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Yep that looks right, haven't used the greens before. They sound like they should be better on a lighter daily driver.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Honda tech here.

If you have an issue with brake rotor warpage you need to replace/ resurface both axles.

These brakes are linked hydro. Diagonally.

So your r/f and l/r are on the same fluid circuit.

The rear rotors do not wear right and become unparallel gen cause the front rotors to warped because of this.

Every customer we have that just wants the fronts resurfaced because they feel it in the steering wheel is back in a month with the fronts warped again. If we machine both axles they last much longer.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Bed the brakes in tonight.  I am not sure if I do the EBC bedding procedure once or twice.  The instructions in the pad box stated once and the website stated twice.  I put in an email to EBC for clarification.  Probably shouldn't be a big deal but I want this set done right.  I will say this, these pads better improve with mileage because so far i'm not impressed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Not impressed with what? Pedal feel?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#48]
I finally did the wife's Pilot this past Saturday. I've never spent all day doing a brake job. But this one dragged out for some reason.  

Started at 10am. Pulled rotors went to auto parts store to get them turned.  first store, machine broke.  Second store tried giving me shit not wanting to do them, but they did.  Returned home around 2:30.  Did the rears and went to the front. Apparently there are two different style calipers used, and going to all the Honda parts websites, no way to tell using the VIN.  Of course I purchased the wrong ones.  So off to Auto Zone for aftermarket.
Got everything installed and bedded after bleeding and cycling new fluid through the system.
But come to find out, my rears were warped slightly.  Guy had to turn them twice and they are at the limit. Finished up around 8 pm.  I swear the older I get the longer it takes to do things.  Not sure if I'm being more anal about it, or I'm just slowing down or a combination of both.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Yeah, pedal feel.  I guess i was expecting I bit stiffer feel.  Maybe that will come with time.  Maybe not.  They do stop well though.  I guess that is the important part.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Just received this email back from EBC.

"Thank you for your email and recent purchase of EBC Brakes for your 2013 Honda Pilot, we appreciate your business.

Although you’ve done a bed-in procedure, your pads will not achieve full parallel wear with your rotors for about 1000 or so miles. Full bed in requires both the pads and the rotors to be completely matched. Once the pads and rotors are fully bedded you’ll notice a much firmer pedal feel and less dust from the pads.

Continue to brake normally until the pads are fully bedded, do not attempt any more procedures."

I was probably overreacting a little.  But like I said, I want this set done right.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top