Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2017 7:15:18 PM EDT
Not been in a few years and thinking about heading down there soon.

I usually hit the dragon once in morning and then stay on cherohala, wayah rd, 28 to sc, north GA area. Are these roads still good or are they now over crowded with bikes, ricers and photogs setup in every turn?

I enjoy avoiding as much of the hoopla as I can.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I was near there a couple of months ago . Same as it always was
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#2]
We were up there in Oct and did all those, same ole, same ole. Our favorites, 68 south out of Telico to Blue ridge then the continuation of 68 is Ga 60 down to Suches. East on Wolf Pen at Suches to north on Blood Mtn To James Russel Scenic then a jog north into Helen for lunch.

The best, new blacktop from the campground to Hanging Dog on Beaver Dam Rd. Go North West out of Murphy on Joe Brown then North on Hanging Dog to Beaver dam. Better than the dragon and zero traffic.

Candy Mtn Rd is a little jewel too, the best continuous series of nicely banked chicanes up there. It's in Lower Bear Paw off 294 about half way between Ranger and the Tenn State line.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#3]
If you hit the Dragon before 9:00AM you're good; especially during the week. If you don't get there early on the weekends, you will be swamped by HD's.

When all the riff raff is at Deal's Gap, just head out on 28.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Moonshine 28 is where it's at.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Isn't it jacked up with long delays for some repairs? or it is going to be for a month or so. Better check into that before you go.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Candy Mtn Rd is a little jewel too, the best continuous series of nicely banked chicanes up there. It's in Lower Bear Paw off 294 about half way between Ranger and the Tenn State line.

Enjoy!
View Quote
Not heard of that one, gonna have to check it out. Thanks man 
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
If you head toward SC on 28, when you get to Highlands, NC go straight at the light instead of turning right on 28.  This will be Horse Cove Road.  It's not very long, but it's a great ride.  If you don't do gravel, turn around and ride back to Highlands when Horse Cove starts to flatten out.  If you do gravel, you can make the first right turn on to a forest service road (forget the number, but it's marked) and that will take you to Rich Gap Road which leads back to 28.

28/64 from Franklin to Highlands can be slow, especially on weekends.  Just before the road gets twisty and goes up hill, look for Buck Creek Road on the left.  Buck Creek is a nice alternative to 28/64 into Highlands.

I'm local and moved here for the riding.  Let me know if I can answer any questions.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#8]
It's always a circus.

Ask Rdtcu (or something like that), he's a somewhat local rider.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top