User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread prompted to me start my own thread and my plans to rest-mod this Z71 purchased new by my father and given to me before he passed. He put the first 350k mi on it and the rest have been me. Currently has 387,xxx mi and is in storage due to tranny issues.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss175/Wr250-sumo/IMAG0919.jpg
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss175/Wr250-sumo/IMAG0921.jpg
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss175/Wr250-sumo/IMAG0924.jpg
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss175/Wr250-sumo/Mobile%20Uploads/67F29F34-CE74-443C-961C-ADD1C8A98909.jpg
View Quote
Nice, trucks like that are usually in the junk yards now because of the wonderful fn salt crap they use here
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been a Chevy guy all my life. But I came to see that other cars were cool too. Haven't liked the trucks since the mid 1990's the 14 and newer are growing on me. But since the 90's and the infamous "Chrome bar" in the middle of every grill, cars and trucks, they just haven't made any real good looking cars lately. Camaro and Vette are OK but not really that great compared to what other companies are doing.  It's sad when KIA and Hyundai make more exciting looking cars than Chevy. Current cars, I have 3 GM products, I have my old 93 Suburban, 97 Geo and my 96 Caddy.
Just sold this for the Caddy. Couple years ago.

Sold these two recently.

77 Vega, swapped in iron 4 cyl with 181 Mercruiser guts.

74 454

Been thinning the herd. Getting to old to enjoy working on them and don't have the money it takes to do them right. I still have a V-8 Monza project and an AMC Ambassador.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Cause she still cleans up pretty damn good.  Low mileage.  Runs like a new one.

Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
2002 Yukon 4WD is the road mule.
1986 K30 3+3 for pulling, hauling, fun and games.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is my 1997 GMC Sierra 1500. She is 20 years old this year and still runs great with almost no problems but she only has 85,000 miles so I'm averaging only 4,000 miles a year hahahaha! It is a lot of work keeping her clean and detailed but the effort really shows.

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
bump for the night crew!
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:55:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone hear about anything knew at GM? Been hearing lots of Ford talk lately but haven't heard much about GM other then some drama with their CEO or whatever...Would like to hear more about future projects etc
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone hear about anything knew at GM? Been hearing lots of Ford talk lately but haven't heard much about GM other then some drama with their CEO or whatever...Would like to hear more about future projects etc
View Quote
The future projects are NOTHING.  As in they are going to build the same boring shit they are building right now.  The only automaker with any balls to build something cool is Dodge with the Challenger.  If you are smart you'll do like many people are doing and pick up the cleanest 03-06 Silverado / Suburban / Tahoe that you can and run that as the GM trucks built from 07+ are no where near the last GMT800's in ruggidness, simplicity and overall quality.  GM's cars? well if it's FWD its trash and should be avoided like the plague.   Other than they'll continue to build Camaros that look japanese and cost $10 grand more than they should, they'll also continue to try to bastardize the Corvette with either a mid-engine or turbo bullshit.  GM is run by SJW's now.  That's why their mid 2000's and late 90's RWD stuff is so fucking popular right now as anybody who know's anything about GM understands that those were the last of the good stuff for a while.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
General Motors pooped on me over a minivan 10 years ago so they are not ever in serious contention ffrom this EX GM fanboi for newer vehicles

But this said GM truck power trains are not competitive any longer. The 5.3 is a dog of the highest order and the 6.2 is neither available nor is it a contender against either of the two ford twin turbo v6 engines.

Till GM moves beyond the pushrod and comes out with an ecoboost answer you will continue to see ford dominate the automotive web buzz
View Quote
The 6.2 will do everything the Ford turbo motors will do, except disappoint you.  No need for dohc in trucks.  I like the simplicity of the ls series engines, and dohc offers no benefit in that application.  Anyone who is mechanically proficient can service, and even overhaul one if necessary.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 2014 Double Cab 4X4 1500 with, of all the things, the 4.3 V6 and 6 speed auto.  Smooth as silk, transmission and motor cooperate very well and not one issue in three years and 22K miles.

I don't tow, barely haul but the thing has plenty of power and will return an honest 20 at 70 mph if the winds are cooperating at all.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The future projects are NOTHING.  As in they are going to build the same boring shit they are building right now.  The only automaker with any balls to build something cool is Dodge with the Challenger.  If you are smart you'll do like many people are doing and pick up the cleanest 03-06 Silverado / Suburban / Tahoe that you can and run that as the GM trucks built from 07+ are no where near the last GMT800's in ruggidness, simplicity and overall quality.  GM's cars? well if it's FWD its trash and should be avoided like the plague.   Other than they'll continue to build Camaros that look japanese and cost $10 grand more than they should, they'll also continue to try to bastardize the Corvette with either a mid-engine or turbo bullshit.  GM is run by SJW's now.  That's why their mid 2000's and late 90's RWD stuff is so fucking popular right now as anybody who know's anything about GM understands that those were the last of the good stuff for a while.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really? I do agree about the SJW comment but that would be said for ALL the auto companies. Dodge? They can make a fast car big fricken deal, maybe I will consider them when they can pass a safety test, or not have all kinds of problems and left and right and also sell out to a foreign auto maker. There is a reason why you can get there "sports" cars much cheaper then Ford and Chevy but I am sure you already know that.

I could give a shit less about cars as I will only drive SUV and Trucks for safety reasons and lifestyle.  I do like Ford F150 and super duty. I like the expedition but I will not buy a vehicle with Independent front and rear suspension.  Ford is just as liberal if not worse then GM. I really have no clue which one is more patriotic or the better buy. I do know that Ford makes more of its vehicles in the US. That being said, the f150's have their fair share of problems as well. DOHC, Dual turbo, powerstroke issues left and right.

They ALL break down, but at least I can afford to fix the Chevy's and can do so myself. And as far as picking up the 02-06 trucks, forget about it. Most of them are at 200k and rusty as hell, who wants that?

ETA - I used to love me the RANGERS... I am just waiting for Ford to drop the ball on the new Rangers and Broncos and make them some Euro-asian trash that costs as much as a full size adn dissapoint everyone. But to be fair I feel chevy dropped the ball on the Colorados as well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The 6.2 will do everything the Ford turbo motors will do, except disappoint you.  No need for dohc in trucks.  I like the simplicity of the ls series engines, and dohc offers no benefit in that application.  Anyone who is mechanically proficient can service, and even overhaul one if necessary.
View Quote
Spoken like someone who has no experience with the new ford turbo gassers.

The 3.5 will literally do at 2000 rpm what the 6.2 has to spin 4000 rpm to do.

That is a fundamental towing game changer. The 3.5 tows better than the dinosaur 7.3 turbo diesel I owned previously.

GM lost 10 years of RnD in the bankruptcy and it's REALLY showing today as they're building what amounts to a really competitive truck......if it was still 2007

And no you aren't wrenching on an active fuel management direct injection Chevy motor like it was a TBI 350 so get that fantasy out of your head
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Really? I do agree about the SJW comment but that would be said for ALL the auto companies. Dodge? They can make a fast car big fricken deal, maybe I will consider them when they can pass a safety test, or not have all kinds of problems and left and right and also sell out to a foreign auto maker. There is a reason why you can get there "sports" cars much cheaper then Ford and Chevy but I am sure you already know that.

I could give a shit less about cars as I will only drive SUV and Trucks for safety reasons and lifestyle.  I do like Ford F150 and super duty. I like the expedition but I will not buy a vehicle with Independent front and rear suspension.  Ford is just as liberal if not worse then GM. I really have no clue which one is more patriotic or the better buy. I do know that Ford makes more of its vehicles in the US. That being said, the f150's have their fair share of problems as well. DOHC, Dual turbo, powerstroke issues left and right.

They ALL break down, but at least I can afford to fix the Chevy's and can do so myself. And as far as picking up the 02-06 trucks, forget about it. Most of them are at 200k and rusty as hell, who wants that?

ETA - I used to love me the RANGERS... I am just waiting for Ford to drop the ball on the new Rangers and Broncos and make them some Euro-asian trash that costs as much as a full size adn dissapoint everyone. But to be fair I feel chevy dropped the ball on the Colorados as well.
View Quote
Op, you are asking rhetorical questions and I'm trying to give you actual a real world data based response but you are missing it.  

1. GM trucks, the last of the good ones worth owning were built in 2006, ask any real GM truck person or a Gm tech worth anything this and they'll tell you the same.  No shit a lot of them have 200k and rust, they are over 10 fucking years old, reason why I said you'll have to look around like 500 mile radius to find the cleanest one and that won't be at the local Chevy dealership.  Or buy the 07+ weak, electrical issue shit box that's somehow $50+ thousand dollars.

2. As far as Dodge, fuck everything else they build except the Challenger and SRT Chargers.  Speaking only about the Challenger / Charger and how they've given those cars shit loads of horsepower they are giving the government and PC industry a giant middle finger.   That is how you get cool cars / trucks worth owning is when an automaker takes chances / risks vs. playing it safe like GM is doing.  Unfortunately for you, this doesn't carry over into their trucks or anything worth a damn outside of their muscle cars.

3. Ford, they are building the same crap as GM is and are already starting to scrap their V8s in response to the 2019 un-meetable CAFE standards.

You want a GM truck or full size GM SUV? get a 03-06
You want a Ranger? get a used one from the last generation built.  ANy new one will be a laughable comparison with "iOptions" out the ass.

The trucks are getting weaker and weaker as they turn them into glorified thin metal station wagons.  So when you ask if they are building anything interesting, the answer is a solid NO.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:32:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Op, you are asking rhetorical questions and I'm trying to give you actual a real world data based response but you are missing it.  

1. GM trucks, the last of the good ones worth owning were built in 2006, ask any real GM truck person or a Gm tech worth anything this and they'll tell you the same.  No shit a lot of them have 200k and rust, they are over 10 fucking years old, reason why I said you'll have to look around like 500 mile radius to find the cleanest one and that won't be at the local Chevy dealership.  Or buy the 07+ weak, electrical issue shit box that's somehow $50+ thousand dollars.

2. As far as Dodge, fuck everything else they build except the Challenger and SRT Chargers.  Speaking only about the Challenger / Charger and how they've given those cars shit loads of horsepower they are giving the government and PC industry a giant middle finger.   That is how you get cool cars / trucks worth owning is when an automaker takes chances / risks vs. playing it safe like GM is doing.  Unfortunately for you, this doesn't carry over into their trucks or anything worth a damn outside of their muscle cars.

3. Ford, they are building the same crap as GM is and are already starting to scrap their V8s in response to the 2019 un-meetable CAFE standards.

You want a Ranger? get a used one from the last generation built.  ANy new one will be a laughable comparison with "iOptions" out the ass.

The trucks are getting weaker and weaker as they turn them into glorified thin metal station wagons.  So when you ask if they are building anything interesting, the answer is a solid NO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Que? The trucks are getting "weaker?" Are you serious?

GM's GMT-9 line improved dramatically nearly every issue that the earlier GMT-8 line had.  I've had five GMT-8s across both Tahoes, 1500's and 2500HD's, both gasoline and diesel, all over 150k miles, and while I do like a lot of things about the GMT-8, the GMT-9 is just head and shoulders above them.  Big things like replacing the shitty 4L60 with the 6L80, fixed the stupid cluster failures, resolved asinine Passlock/VATS/Onstar problems, added VVT and more power across the board for all engines, and better brakes, and inclusion of R&P steering on half-ton chassis, as well as updated coil front-end to replace the torsion bar setup; in 2011 for the T9 model year, the 2500HD+ line got the 6L90e transmission, adding two more forward gears over the literally 40 year old 4L80 design, in a very stout package; improved wheel hubs; hydraulic body mounts; improved passenger safety; and a number of other small things that contribute.  These are all MAJOR pain points for the GMT-8 that were resolved either up front or within half-cycle of the body style.

The K2/K2X platform took that even further and resolved many issues with the T9, like fit and finish, an optional 9.6" rear end for half-tons to replace the 8.6" that frags, and things like more forward gears, more HP via DI and that sort of thing; they're solid trucks through and through.  Adding the 8 and 10 speed options and a base-model engine that does 383ft-lbs torque with a single cam and only 5.3L is pretty far from "weak."

Are these changes incremental? Yes, absolutely. Were they all needed? Without a doubt.  Suggesting that the 03-06 (while totally ignoring the niche elegance of the simplistic 00-02 models) is the best truck GM has produced in the last 20 years is either asinine or concerted cynicism.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is a picture of my 2016 with a 2" level and 33" tires.
I put the GM Performance Exhaust and air intake in it. Sounds good when you step on it.

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#17]
That's a nice truck! I see we like the same color. I want a z71 pack or realtree one real bad!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Que? The trucks are getting "weaker?" Are you serious?

GM's GMT-9 line improved dramatically nearly every issue that the earlier GMT-8 line had.  I've had five GMT-8s across both Tahoes, 1500's and 2500HD's, both gasoline and diesel, all over 150k miles, and while I do like a lot of things about the GMT-8, the GMT-9 is just head and shoulders above them.  Big things like replacing the shitty 4L60 with the 6L80, fixed the stupid cluster failures, resolved asinine Passlock/VATS/Onstar problems, added VVT and more power across the board for all engines, and better brakes, and inclusion of R&P steering on half-ton chassis, as well as updated coil front-end to replace the torsion bar setup; in 2011 for the T9 model year, the 2500HD+ line got the 6L90e transmission, adding two more forward gears over the literally 40 year old 4L80 design, in a very stout package; improved wheel hubs; hydraulic body mounts; improved passenger safety; and a number of other small things that contribute.  These are all MAJOR pain points for the GMT-8 that were resolved either up front or within half-cycle of the body style.

The K2/K2X platform took that even further and resolved many issues with the T9, like fit and finish, an optional 9.6" rear end for half-tons to replace the 8.6" that frags, and things like more forward gears, more HP via DI and that sort of thing; they're solid trucks through and through.  Adding the 8 and 10 speed options and a base-model engine that does 383ft-lbs torque with a single cam and only 5.3L is pretty far from "weak."

Are these changes incremental? Yes, absolutely. Were they all needed? Without a doubt.  Suggesting that the 03-06 (while totally ignoring the niche elegance of the simplistic 00-02 models) is the best truck GM has produced in the last 20 years is either asinine or concerted cynicism.
View Quote
Dude hates new Chevys. In another thread he was trying to convince people that 4th gen Camaros are better than the new ones.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dude hates new Chevys. In another thread he was trying to convince people that 4th gen Camaros are better than the new ones.
View Quote
Do you guys not understand economies of scale?

In the camaro thread the OP was looking to spend less than $25,000 (at first) on a GM performance car.  If you want a Camaro that's worth the price tag that's under $20,000 you buy a LS1 4th gen, how hard is that?  I mean shit this has been common knowledge for the longest time.  

3400lb car with 350hp runs a 12.9-13.3 stock for less than $15,000 or........... a 3900lbs brick (10-15 camaro) with 425hp that with a pro driver is lucky to see a 12.9 and usually runs a 13.2-13.4.  Again GM turned it up with the NEW ONE (2016-2017) which had even more HP and -------- LESS WEIGHT.  So 2016+ = good, but........... you gotta spend $40,000 for it which is a big step to drop that on a camaro.

Now on the trucks go work on the electrical bullshit and weak sheet metal on a 07-14.  GM cut so many corners and used bullshit parts ANNNNDDDD they wanted $40+ GRAND for those.  Again, economies of scale friend.  03-06 easy as fuck to work on and can take a hit in an accident and doesn't fold up like a beer can like the 07+ does.

So TLDR
Camaro = good if light and cheap
truck = good if not built like a car, has REAL BUMPERs and drives like a truck and not a Buick

Anyone around this crap enough will know exactly what I'm talking about.  For all of you rich guys that have no problem dropping 40 large every 3 years and don't know a wrench from a screw driver won't understand.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#22]
My parents have had GMs most of my life, and my mom has an Enclave and my dad a '15 Silverado LTZ.  Currently I share a Lexus CT200h because my wife is a Toyota fangirl.

I think if I were ever to get a small truck I'd look hard at the Colorados.  Even though I have a soft spot for Toyota, Tacomas command stupid money.  Even better if I can get my mitts on a 5.3 Colorado.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Own Ford's too. News flash they both have issues. They both are getting cheaper quality yet more safe and more expensive...

Chevy's IMO look better and are more enjoyable to drive. They are all dumb with 10speeds and auto starts and self driving etc etc now a days and I hate where the automotive industry is going, instead of perfecting what we had.

Unfortunately I can't order a reg cab Z71 in previous model years or an old school king ranch with simple drivetrain that stuff doesn't exist anymore. Welcome to the world we live in.

I will say though due to my obsession with the safety of my family, my next vehicle will either be a newer Tahoe/burb or crew f250
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:05:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Spoken like someone who has no experience with the new ford turbo gassers.

The 3.5 will literally do at 2000 rpm what the 6.2 has to spin 4000 rpm to do.

That is a fundamental towing game changer. The 3.5 tows better than the dinosaur 7.3 turbo diesel I owned previously.

GM lost 10 years of RnD in the bankruptcy and it's REALLY showing today as they're building what amounts to a really competitive truck......if it was still 2007

And no you aren't wrenching on an active fuel management direct injection Chevy motor like it was a TBI 350 so get that fantasy out of your head
View Quote
Installed an afm delete last month.  No problem at all.  I was underwhelmed at the towing ability of the ecoboost I used for an afternoon, and mileage was putrid when loaded.  I'll take the 6.2.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In the camaro thread the OP was looking to spend less than $25,000 (at first) on a GM performance car.  If you want a Camaro that's worth the price tag that's under $20,000 you buy a LS1 4th gen, how hard is that?  I mean shit this has been common knowledge for the longest time.  

3400lb car with 350hp runs a 12.9-13.3 stock for less than $15,000 or........... a 3900lbs brick (10-15 camaro) with 425hp that with a pro driver is lucky to see a 12.9 and usually runs a 13.2-13.4.  Again GM turned it up with the NEW ONE (2016-2017) which had even more HP and -------- LESS WEIGHT.  So 2016+ = good, but........... you gotta spend $40,000 for it which is a big step to drop that on a camaro.

Now on the trucks go work on the electrical bullshit and weak sheet metal on a 07-14.  GM cut so many corners and used bullshit parts ANNNNDDDD they wanted $40+ GRAND for those.  Again, economies of scale friend.  03-06 easy as fuck to work on and can take a hit in an accident and doesn't fold up like a beer can like the 07+ does.

So TLDR
truck = good if not built like a car, has REAL BUMPERs and drives like a truck and not a Buick

Anyone around this crap enough will know exactly what I'm talking about.  For all of you rich guys that have no problem dropping 40 large every 3 years and don't know a wrench from a screw driver won't understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So TLDR

This is rife with emotional hyperbole, and is smattered with half-truths or entirely false premises entirely. It's clear you've cemented your preferences and will flail to support them, despite there being evidence (and controlled tests from reputable publications and agencies, no less) that dispute your claims.   Oh, and nevermind that for $25k and under you can choose from C5 Z06's, C6 base, 5th gen Camaro SS, 2nd generation CTS-V's, GTO's, G8's, and so on--all of which are leaps and bounds ahead of the 4th gen.  More than an LS1 takes to make a good sports car.

The 07-13 (GMT-9 series) trucks you like to hate on have higher GCVW, drastically improved passenger safety thanks to inclusions of more crumple zones, stiffer frames w/ ladder setups, F&R curtain airbags, ESC standard, and so on.  That "rides like a Buick" is a good thing when it means more road feel and better handling, which translates into a safer, more well-mannered vehicle.  Those electrical issues are small potatoes compared to the T8 electrical gremlins, too. Trust me -- I've chased them in both platforms.  Routine failures in the T8 are not common in the T9. Incremental progress, again.

The 99-06 are not unsafe, but they didn't set the bar for passenger safety either.  In fact, it was not until mid-year refresh did they even reach surpass "marginal" for multiple collision tests.  Steel bumpers and thick sheetmetal doesn't do anything for passenger safety and to suggest that they're superior because of that you don't understand what makes a vehicle safe. Those "real bumpers" don't do shit if all that energy is transferred into the passenger compartment and kills you, instead of crumpling and absorbing that force.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This is rife with emotional hyperbole, and is smattered with half-truths or entirely false premises entirely. It's clear you've cemented your preferences and will flail to support them, despite there being evidence (and controlled tests from reputable publications and agencies, no less) that dispute your claims.   Oh, and nevermind that for $25k and under you can choose from C5 Z06's, C6 base, 5th gen Camaro SS, 2nd generation CTS-V's, GTO's, G8's, and so on--all of which are leaps and bounds ahead of the 4th gen.  More than an LS1 takes to make a good sports car.

The 07-13 (GMT-9 series) trucks you like to hate on have higher GCVW, drastically improved passenger safety thanks to inclusions of more crumple zones, stiffer frames w/ ladder setups, F&R curtain airbags, ESC standard, and so on.  That "rides like a Buick" is a good thing when it means more road feel and better handling, which translates into a safer, more well-mannered vehicle.  Those electrical issues are small potatoes compared to the T8 electrical gremlins, too. Trust me -- I've chased them in both platforms.  Routine failures in the T8 are not common in the T9. Incremental progress, again.

The 99-06 are not unsafe, but they didn't set the bar for passenger safety either.  In fact, it was not until mid-year refresh did they even reach surpass "marginal" for multiple collision tests.  Steel bumpers and thick sheetmetal doesn't do anything for passenger safety and to suggest that they're superior because of that you don't understand what makes a vehicle safe. Those "real bumpers" don't do shit if all that energy is transferred into the passenger compartment and kills you, instead of crumpling and absorbing that force.
View Quote
1. GTO - owned, raced, and worked on many LS1 and LS2 versions - outside of the drivetrain it's a complete POS with the stupidest "failures" I've ever seen in an American RWD platform.  not to mention it has MASSIVE body roll for it's size.
2. CTS -V cool concept but you might as well burn your money they way they depreciate.  Only thing that depreciates worse is a SSR.
3. C5 Z06, C6 LS2 - I don't disagree for low low 20's this is the car to buy, but again, the OP's original criteria disqualified it.  When he updated his budget I advised him to go the C6 route.
4. The only one that as a Camaro purist I despise is the 5th gen Camaro.  I've made my points about it but it seems that some of you fail to understand that the budget of the Op was originally much less than $20,000.  You cannot buy ANY 5th gen SS with under 100k miles for less than $20,000 so again, to your point, the 5th gen SS is a STUPID buy when you can get a superior Corvette for the same money.  The 4th gen ONLY excels at its PRICE POINT.  For under $20,000 there's nothing comparable if you are doing a fair condition/use (mileage) comparison for the amount of power and performance that you get.  

I like the 4th gen for what it was and owned 5 or so of them.  I now on C6's because for the money I wanted to spend THEY are the performance leader in their price point.

the trucks, I've worked on Gm trucks from 1988-2010'ish and my personal favorite is the 96-98s but in my opinion and what I value in a truck the GMT900 went more for the luxury market and missed the mark where as GM sold MILLIONS of the 99-06s and their owners have stayed away from the 900's.  You are now just seeing 800 owners trade in for the 2015-2017s but with their rediculous prices many people who are truck buyers cannot afford them.  Does that explain it better?  Again it's my opinion based on my personal experience working on them, configuring them, selling them, and owning them.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

1. GTO - owned, raced, and worked on many LS1 and LS2 versions - outside of the drivetrain it's a complete POS with the stupidest "failures" I've ever seen in an American RWD platform.  not to mention it has MASSIVE body roll for it's size.
2. CTS -V cool concept but you might as well burn your money they way they depreciate.  Only thing that depreciates worse is a SSR.
3. C5 Z06, C6 LS2 - I don't disagree for low low 20's this is the car to buy, but again, the OP's original criteria disqualified it.  When he updated his budget I advised him to go the C6 route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

1) GTO is fine. It's balance is what you'd expect for that car, its' stout and not particularly overweight, especially for something with a backseat.
2) CTS-V (gen2) is far from a "cool concept." the car is fucking bulletproof. LSA, 6L90e, the whole drivetrain is well-recorded holding past 1000rwhp with the right tune on slicks.  They aren't depreciating fast at all either; there are some base-model CTS-V's going in the mid-high 20's, which is why I listed them, but you want a lower mileage Recaros sedan, or a wagon? Better bring 50-60k. The 3rd generation V ate into it's resale a bit as expected but you make it sound like they're selling for peanuts  Further, this car handily fucking trounces 98% of what you'll find on the strip or street or track. It's really, really hard to beat this platform for value.
3) If you need a backseat then the C6 isn't on the table anymore but price-wise it fits.

Quoted:
4. The only one that as a Camaro purist I despise is the 5th gen Camaro.  I've made my points about it but it seems that some of you fail to understand that the budget of the Op was originally much less than $20,000.  You cannot buy ANY 5th gen SS with under 100k miles for less than $20,000 so again, to your point, the 5th gen SS is a STUPID buy when you can get a superior Corvette for the same money.  The 4th gen ONLY excels at its PRICE POINT.  For under $20,000 there's nothing comparable if you are doing a fair condition/use (mileage) comparison for the amount of power and performance that you get.  
For all it's shortcomings, the 5th gen is superior in literally every way to the 4th gen. Balance, power, handling, etc.   You can only push a live rear so far. The 5th gen can go on a diet and handle among the best with very little work.  Then there's things like brakes and balance ... both of which the 5'er is superior to the 4th at.

Quoted:
I like the 4th gen for what it was and owned 5 or so of them.  I now on C6's because for the money I wanted to spend THEY are the performance leader in their price point.

the trucks, I've worked on Gm trucks from 1988-2010'ish and my personal favorite is the 96-98s but in my opinion and what I value in a truck the GMT900 went more for the luxury market and missed the mark where as GM sold MILLIONS of the 99-06s and their owners have stayed away from the 900's.  You are now just seeing 800 owners trade in for the 2015-2017s but with their rediculous prices many people who are truck buyers cannot afford them.  Does that explain it better?  Again it's my opinion based on my personal experience working on them, configuring them, selling them, and owning them.
The GMT-900's did not sell well (nor did any other truck in that era) because we had the recession, housing bubble burst, bailouts, and record-high gas prices all hit in that window.

You keep saying your opinions are based on facts but the reality is, you've made up a lot of shit about the GMT-8 and GMT-9 that's plain, outright false.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#28]
GM:

2007-2013 MY sales: 4193034 units
1999-2006 MY sales: 7014553 units

Ford:

2007-2013 MY sales: 4051711 units

Both companies took a huge hit in this era. It's not due to either one being vastly inferior to the other; in reality, Ford and Chevy have been peer for a very long time and there's not a ton of difference between the two. It's largely brand loyalty that separates the major truck producers domestically speaking. Some years they edge each other out for this or that, and others they fall behind.

To suggest that the T8 is better due to sales numbers isn't looking at the whole picture; 1999 to 2006 was one of the most prosperous decades in American history.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Other than a couple of diesel Dodge 4WD trucks and my affliction for Jeeps. All my rigs have been Chevys and one GMC.

Mostly 1 Ton rigs for pulling, hauling and off roading.

Regrettably sold my beloved 88 K30 dually back in 97 and said I would get another one as my retirement rig.

Found her last year and with 34,000 original miles.

CM Industry flatbed, entire suspension upgraded with ORD parts and Michelins.

Working on a big winch and some buckets instead of the factory bench.

02 4WD Yukon is my highway mule.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#32]
My 73 K5, I'm the second owner and it came to me all original with 90k on it in 2015.
Attachment Attached File

My 77 K5 beater mining truck. 355/700r4/np208/4", now on 35s
Attachment Attached File

My 75 K5 the day it came home, and no those wheels didn't stay. 383/th400/doubler/tons/beadlocked 37s
Attachment Attached File

All are injected now, same basic specs. BBC tbi, self made harness, adjustable regulator, tpi pump, tpi pcm, 6.2 maf, tune by me. Yep, I have a thing for K5s, especially the full vert trucks
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top