Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 8:46:25 PM EDT
Upon preliminary investigation, someone may have backed into my Durango bending the condenser creating a hole.  

Or possibly my use of initiative and creativity in removing a dead tree could possibly be the culprit.

In any event, there is zero gas at the schraeder valves.

I've ordered a new condenser, accumulator, gauges, vacupump, r134a, can tap and electronic leak detector.

I've read the manual and consulted the YT's.

Basic procedure:
Replace condenser/accumulator
Vacuum system
Charge system
Enjoy cold air

What are the tips and tricks I am missing?  Oil? Flush? Anything else I should look into?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Does the compressor cycle, make sure that's it not an electrical problem.  If the system has been open to the air? If so, might want to consider a dryer as well.  Make sure that the system holds a vacuum at 29 plus.

Eta:  wear eye protection, freon is nasty stuff.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Replace every O ring in the system you can reach. And yes, if you draw the system completely down, you will need a oil recharge.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Surprised it made it this far.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

When I sold my 2000 in 2014, it had never been recharged. Still ice cold.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:29:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I think you are supposed to replace the dryer now too since it has been exposed to air.

or I think you can hold the vacuum longer to make it "boil" out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Compressor cycling?  I'll need to check.  

Safety glasses, check.

O-rings and drier on order.  

The factory manual lists the amount of oil to replace with each specific component replaced.  

I'm wondering if more oil would have been blown out with the sudden depressurization verses a system that leaked slowly or had the refrigerant removed in a controlled fashion?

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]
it probably did.
the concern is putting too much oil and locking up the compressor.
I would dump the recommended amount into the new condensor, based on the parts you are replacing and call it good.
It has been a few years since I put a new system together, but I remember cycling the compressor by hand for a bit to make sure it wasn't locked up. but I put in oil into the compressor as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:10:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top