Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2017 3:25:53 PM EDT
  Would like  to carry a mounted  full size spare tire,  fuel can or two,  shovel.
 What ROOF RACK do I want ?
 Do the good ones attach   to the OEM tracks on the Tahoe/Suburban roof ? 
 Looks like some light duty   models   attach to the OE cross bars, which  appears a  touch sketchy.
 Which brands are worthy ?
 I see Yakima,  Rhino,  Thule..... What do I want ?
 What to avoid ?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm reasonably sure you don't want the Yakima that attaches to the factory rack. Unless something has changed, they have about a 100 lb weight limit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Grab the factory rack .
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Agreed, that will not suffice.
  Mounted 275/65R20  10 ply   spare wheel scales an even 96  pounds.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm reasonably sure you don't want the Yakima that attaches to the factory rack. Unless something has changed, they have about a 100 lb weight limit.
View Quote

I have the Yakima racks that fit into the factory tracks and the factory bars as well.  I put a 35 ft ladder and later an 18ft garage door on the roof.  I had heavy duty truck ratchet straps on the front tow hooks and rear trailer hitch.  Seems to work out, but force was pushing down.  PO used them for a kayak rack.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't really trust any of those even the factory racks.  Get your tools out and take the stock one off and you'll see why.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a well battered 1973 chevy K20,  steel  pipe flange, through bolted top of cab, and 12" long iron pipe standing vertical, 33-12.50R16.5 on the roof, Redneck  as fuck. Like to do something a little more " Suburban".    But still strong enough to safely  retain a wheel.

.pipe flange, 2"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top