Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2017 10:34:18 PM EDT
A lot of people have been waiting for these.  Personally I'm going to get the dumped version but this over the axle setup looks killer for the money.

https://www.speed-engineering.com/shop-by-vehicle/1998-02-camaro-firebird/exhaust/true-dual-exhaust-kits/ls1-camaro-firebird-true-dual-exhaust-rear-exit.html

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#1]
God I love having a fourth gen. I just put TSP's catback with the magnaflow clone muffler and the integrated cutout in the I-pipe. It's a true bipolar exhaust. I was tempted to get this and already have a PHB relocate but I didn't want to deal with any headaches after the Y-pipe on my dumped LM1 setup split at the merge. China welds!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
God I love having a fourth gen. I just put TSP's catback with the magnaflow clone muffler and the integrated cutout in the I-pipe. It's a true bipolar exhaust. I was tempted to get this and already have a PHB relocate but I didn't want to deal with any headaches after the Y-pipe on my dumped LM1 setup split at the merge. China welds!
View Quote

I was trying to sell mine earlier this year but I think I'm going to hang on to it.  I'm going to order the stainless longtubes and the true dual dumps and make it retardedly loud because, why not.  It's not a daily driver anymore.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
This setup has been done at least 2-3 times over the last 20-25 years and EVERY TIME is it out performed by the SLP TOTL (two on the left).  There are countless tests in GMHTP to prove it.  You don't gain anything by running 2 2" pipes over having 1 3" main pipe going into a straight through design muffler.  Its much more cost effective to weld in a cut out at the base of the y-pipe.  The only other cat back to be considered is the chambered setup from GMMG "Stainless Worx" that you can still buy through Vengance Racing.

SLP TOTL

GMMG

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This setup has been done at least 2-3 times over the last 20-25 years and EVERY TIME is it out performed by the SLP TOTL (two on the left).  There are countless tests in GMHTP to prove it.  You don't gain anything by running 2 2" pipes over having 1 3" main pipe going into a straight through design muffler.  Its much more cost effective to weld in a cut out at the base of the y-pipe.  The only other cat back to be considered is the chambered setup from GMMG "Stainless Worx" that you can still buy through Vengance Racing.

SLP TOTL

http://image.gmhightechperformance.com/f/9722230/0803gmhtp_06_z+2001_camaro_ss_exhaust.jpg

GMMG

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4q4BKaZKJ9w/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote

GMMG is nice but $700 for a cat back? No thanks.  SLP TOTL is too quiet and they don't even make it anymore.  I don't want a y-pipe setup and the true duals I posted is 3" pipe.  We all like what we like,  I want to go with a true dual this time around.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
What is the pipe diameter?  I have a fourth gen drivetrain in my third gen.  I'm using the Holly kit and it's 2.5 inch dual exhaust.

Our cars are crazy similar other than the front suspension.  I'm even running fourth gen 12" brakes front and rear.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is the pipe diameter?  I have a fourth gen drivetrain in my third gen.  I'm using the Holly kit and it's 2.5 inch dual exhaust.

Our cars are crazy similar other than the front suspension.  I'm even running fourth gen 12" brakes front and rear.
View Quote

It's 3" pipe.    Any pics of your 3rd gen?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The paint sucks, it's probably next since I've done interior and everything under the car.

Eta pics didn't upload, one secondAttachment Attached File

Quick performance 9"

Attachment Attached File

After new shocks/struts and cutting the coils.

Attachment Attached File

Cammed engine swap, made 403.89 whp through a T56.

Your turn 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

GMMG is nice but $700 for a cat back? No thanks.  SLP TOTL is too quiet and they don't even make it anymore.  I don't want a y-pipe setup and the true duals I posted is 3" pipe.  We all like what we like,  I want to go with a true dual this time around.
View Quote

TOTL too quiet have you heard one at full throttle?  LT1 sounds way better with it of course but it's the best performing exhaust hence why it's so sought after.  GMMG performs very well also because its a chambered setup vs everyone else which is a cross flow "turbulent" design.

Before you go and spend $500 for a that setup, you should just get a SLP LM2 as thats gonna perform exactly the same.  These cars gain nothing with a "true dual" setup as the pipes snake around like a pick up truck.  more bends = more restrictions = less flow.

1. get a cut out to race
2. get a quality 3" main pipe with hi-flow muffler and you'll be all set.  ANything else and you're wasting money, been heaviliy involved in these cars since 1995 and seen first hand every mod like this and how it performed at the track.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

TOTL too quiet have you heard one at full throttle?  LT1 sounds way better with it of course but it's the best performing exhaust hence why it's so sought after.  GMMG performs very well also because its a chambered setup vs everyone else which is a cross flow "turbulent" design.

Before you go and spend $500 for a that setup, you should just get a SLP LM2 as thats gonna perform exactly the same.  These cars gain nothing with a "true dual" setup as the pipes snake around like a pick up truck.  more bends = more restrictions = less flow.

1. get a cut out to race
2. get a quality 3" main pipe with hi-flow muffler and you'll be all set.  ANything else and you're wasting money, been heaviliy involved in these cars since 1995 and seen first hand every mod like this and how it performed at the track.
View Quote

I already have a LM2 installed and it's too quiet. Besides, I'm getting the dumped before the axle version, not the full setup so it's not restrictive at all.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The paint sucks, it's probably next since I've done interior and everything under the car.

Eta pics didn't upload, one secondhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/346921/rps20170218-163853-149225.JPG

Quick performance 9"

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/346921/rps20170218-164013-149231.JPG

After new shocks/struts and cutting the coils.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/346921/rps20170123-204629-149232.JPG

Cammed engine swap, made 403.89 whp through a T56.

Your turn 
View Quote

I like it!  Here's one of mine, it's nothing special but it's paid for.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/jPyNAokl.jpg?1
View Quote
Nice color 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Spaceboy tell me bout dem wheels?  17 IROCs or 18s?  that a real IROC?  As fast as the 4th gens are they never could hold a candle to the IROC or 91-92 Z28 in the looks department.  One of my next builds will be an LS7 powered 87 IROC that looks and sounds totallly stock.  You think a few 5th and 6th gen owners might get mad?  lol
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Spaceboy tell me bout dem wheels?  17 IROCs or 18s?  that a real IROC?  As fast as the 4th gens are they never could hold a candle to the IROC or 91-92 Z28 in the looks department.  One of my next builds will be an LS7 powered 87 IROC that looks and sounds totallly stock.  You think a few 5th and 6th gen owners might get mad?  lol
View Quote

Who cares if they get mad LOL, it's like caring if libtards are mad because Trump won.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:58:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Those are 18s.  The car is a RS not a Z.  Was a 305/auto car, now LS1/T56.  Mine is a 1990 so it has the old style ground effects but got the updated interior.  I don't get hung up on special edition cars.  I traded into the RS and updated everything.  It has an entire UMI rear suspension other than their sway bar (theirs is more a drag race piece), Umi subframe connectors, Umi steering brace, Umi strut tower brace (I like that their design actually ties the strut bearings together), I even have a Umi shifter stick on a pro 5.0 shifter, lol.  Front suspension is all Moog with poly bushings in the a arms.  I had the rear end housing made with 98+ fbody brake ends and made my own brackets to mount the 98+ fbody front brakes to the spindles.  The car has functional AC and I have fbody cruise control that will be installed when I find the time.  

I only built this car because I had a deal for a 98 Z28 fall through when the guy backed out of selling it the morning I was to pick it up.  So I was pissed off and ordered a drop out online from a 02 Z28 and built it for my car.  I kind of got carried away.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:22:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uhhhh the SE system is a clone of a $2000 Kooks exhaust that has a 10-20hp improvement over a similar ORY/catback on stock LS1's. Even more on bigger cubic inch/aggressive motors. I don't know what that guy was on even though I love both the 2OTL and GMMG.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:38:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/jPyNAokl.jpg?1
View Quote

That is a sharp 4th gen! I sold my 30th Ann last year and I intend to someday replace it with a 35th ss slp.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#18]
gonna pick up the SE long tubes and true dual dumps for my 6.0 truck.  Should make for a good time
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
gonna pick up the SE long tubes and true dual dumps for my 6.0 truck.  Should make for a good time
View Quote

Yeah that's my plan too.  Gonna make it seem like a totally different car.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I have this system installed on my car with Pacesetter 1 3/4" LTs and a cam.

Pros:

- Sounds waaaay better than my previous setup: 3"/3.5" Flowmaster Y pipe, 3.5" Mufflex catback w/ a Spintech muffler
- Seems to have picked up some power from a SOTP feel
- Can't beat it for $500

Cons:

- The post X pipe tubes sit lower than my old catback
- The clamps included with the kit are terrible - I recommend buying Accuseal clamps or replacing the hardware with grade 8
- The fit isn't perfect and needs a lot of fussing and adjusting to keep the tubes from contacting the PHB relocation bar, frame, and bumper
- Did I mention the clamps suck?

You can save some money by getting the founders PHB relocation kit. It's about half the price of the BMR kit. Also, you will have to grind the nuts that attach the rear hangars.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Pros:

- Sounds waaaay better than my previous setup: 3"/3.5" Flowmaster Y pipe, 3.5" Mufflex catback w/ a Spintech muffler
- Can't beat it for $500

Cons:

- The clamps included with the kit are terrible - I recommend buying Accuseal clamps or replacing the hardware with grade 8
- The fit isn't perfect and needs a lot of fussing and adjusting to keep the tubes from contacting the PHB relocation bar, frame, and bumper

You can save some money by getting the founders PHB relocation kit. It's about half the price of the BMR kit. Also, you will have to grind the nuts that attach the rear hangars.
View Quote

That's a lot of hassle for negligible gain over a quality 3" hi flo cat back (SLP TOTL or Dual dual, GMMG, Borla, B&B Tri-flow, Corsa).  Get one of the kits I listed and throw away those flow-crapsters and other low end noise makers and get a real high quality cat back that was designed for these cars at their peak in the market.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pros:

- Can't beat it for $500

Cons:

View Quote

I always used this type of clamp:

Founders makes good stuff, I have a few of their things on my Z/28.  Thanks for your review!  I'm going for the dumps but good stuff to know for those that are looking at the complete kit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's a lot of hassle for negligible gain over a quality 3" hi flo cat back (SLP TOTL or Dual dual, GMMG, Borla, B&B Tri-flow, Corsa).  Get one of the kits I listed and throw away those flow-crapsters and other low end noise makers and get a real high quality cat back that was designed for these cars at their peak in the market.
View Quote

You're back!  When I put on my 3" dumped setup, I'm going to sell my SLP LM2 catback with glee.  It's a turd of an exhaust.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I always used this type of clamp:

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/200/289/289-33226.jpg

Founders makes good stuff, I have a few of their things on my Z/28.  Thanks for your review!  I'm going for the dumps but good stuff to know for those that are looking at the complete kit.
View Quote

Those stainless band clamps are fantastic and what I replaced most of the kit clamps with. The compression (Accuseal) clamps had to be used at the muffler to tip connections.

If you order the dumped kit, you will be dealing with the same clamps. Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Those stainless band clamps are fantastic and what I replaced most of the kit clamps with. The compression (Accuseal) clamps had to be used at the muffler to tip connections.

If you order the dumped kit, you will be dealing with the same clamps. Plan accordingly.
View Quote

Thanks.  People on ls1tech gave the heads up about the clamps being shit unless you change out the hardware but I'll just go with the stainless band clamps.  Never had an issue with those.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Those clamps are what my hooker blackheart exhaust came with.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You're back!  When I put on my 3" dumped setup, I'm going to sell my SLP LM2 catback with glee.  It's a turd of an exhaust.
View Quote

As you should as the SLP LM1 and LM2 is a glass pack droning POS that was a joke from the day it came out. Everyone who ran that shit box lost power on the dyno when they took off the SLP optional TOTL or dual dual off their LT1 or LS1 SS. The only thing the LM system was good for was being ignorantly loud which it excelled at (and droned).

Get a good stainless catback with a straight through style muffler (no cross flow) and you'll be just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top