Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/5/2017 12:08:40 AM EDT
I've been wanting a fun car for a while now.

Looking for something under $10k that has responsive handling and fun to drive - not terribly worried about acceleration but quick is always a plus.  Will mostly be driving on back roads to work and back.  

Been eyeballing a Nissan 350z, manual with the 3.5 on ebay motor.  Any other vehicles that might fit the bill?   I think I've seen members on ARFcom post pics before of similar cars but I never paid much attention until now.  I've always been a Mustang/Camaro fan, but want to try something new.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you know what MIATA stands for?
Miata Is Always The Answer

But in my case the "M" always stands for Mustang.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#2]
When I was considering the 350Z I narrowed it down to that and the Honda S2000.  After driving both I ultimately decided on the S2000.  It was back in 2002 and I loved that car.  Most fun car I have ever driven.  One day I will buy another one.

The 350Z felt heavy, and had a bigger engine.  It was nice, but the smaller S2000 just felt more fun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:45:31 AM EDT
[#3]
BMW M3 is another good option.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BMW M3 is another good option.
View Quote

He wants a car under $10K.

Any M3 under $10K is not an M3 I would want, unless I was a BMW mechanic.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Miata = My street legal Go Kart

Screw all the wannabees who say it is a girls car.

On any given weekend in the USA there are more Miatas being raced than any other car.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#6]
MIATA
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Throw in a couple extra grand and get a C5 corvette.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#8]
rx8. get a rotary compression test first. im me with any questions
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#9]
350Z was going to be my suggestion.  If you can find an 06+ or later, they are better cars.
No, they're not quite as nimble as a miata, but they're more comfortable, you wont' feel as out of place on the highway and you can pass any time you want.
I do not fit in miatas, and I fit fine in my Z. I'm 6'4", and I can tell it's time for a haircut when my hair starts rubbing the ceiling.  I wouldn't mind finding some lower seat brackets for the factory seats.
My daily driver:
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#10]

or

LS1 cars under 10 grand are hard to find in good shape where as LT1s can be had with 40-50k miles all day long for around 8000.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are 5' 10" or under, the Honda S2000 is a very fun driver designed car.

Ap1 or Ap2 can be found for under 10k, stick with one that is all stock.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Second generation Toyota MR2 turbo, or third generation MR2 and add a Turbo and aftermarket springs, easily under 10k.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Come March, I will have had mine for 26 years.

Zero regrets, zero complaints. 
View Quote
Yeah, but you're married, with children.

A single man can't drive a Miata.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

On any given weekend in the USA there are more Miatas being raced than any other car.
View Quote

1st Gen Mini Cooper S.  6-speed, with a pulley can get to 200hp pretty easy, awesome supercharger whine, awesome aftermarket parts support, fun as hell to drive.....and can be found pretty cheaply.

Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Second generation Toyota MR2 turbo, or third generation MR2 and add a Turbo and aftermarket springs, easily under 10k.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

1st Gen Mini Cooper S.  6-speed, with a pulley can get to 200hp pretty easy, awesome supercharger whine, awesome aftermarket parts support, fun as hell to drive.....and can be found pretty cheaply.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/69/10/ed/6910ede65f2e8e8b6b9033f7891bea56.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/69/10/ed/6910ede65f2e8e8b6b9033f7891bea56.jpg

This is one of the few mini coopers i have seen that i have liked. I you wouldnt mind, can you give us a list of mods done to it?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Throw in a couple extra grand and get a C5 corvette.
View Quote

You could potentially find an early one for sub ten grand.  They are out there, and have proven to last and have inexpensive upkeep.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#21]

I may have had the ass end of my '92 turbo come around on me a few times, and once on the freeway, but it was an awesome autocross car. I never crashed it, and it made me a better driver, especially in wet weather and on ice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I may have had the ass end of my '92 turbo come around on me a few times, and once on the freeway, but it was an awesome autocross car. I never crashed it, and it made me a better driver, especially in wet weather and on ice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like them, never drove one, I just happened to have the memes on tap as a friend just restored one for a fun work commute car so I could give him a hard time. He's had a few first and second gens and said the 2nd gens are a lot better about it. But yea, I could see how it would really make a driver focus on weight and momentum management!!! 
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#23]
You're looking for something kind of low slung and sporty like but you're not wanting a sports car. Consider looking at a 4th gen or even 5th gen Honda prelude. They can still be found in pretty good shape and won't cost you an arm or a leg.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looking for something under $10k that has responsive handling and fun to drive - not terribly worried about acceleration but quick is always a plus.  Will mostly be driving on back roads to work and back.
View Quote

You just described a Miata. Get one if you are under 6'.

Affordable, great handling, and fun to drive. Quick but not fast. Lots of people complain about the stock suspension being soft, but it does help communicate what is going on to a new driver. Since you are buying a used car i would suggest sticking with the stock suspension while you smash some cones and then upgrade it when the originals are worn out. If you want to get really sporty you could get a cheap one with a blown engine and put a 2.5L in it.

I prefer the third generation, also known as the NC, which was made from 2006-2015. Some people say the third generation lost some of its Miataness because it is bigger and heavier, but I think it is a better car for it. Compared the the first and second generations (NA&NB), it is not as cramped, has many more creature comforts, is faster (for a miata), etc. If you decide to buy a third generation Miata I'd suggest consulting with someone that is familiar (or reading up on miata.net) because there were 2 face lifts and other changes like increased red line, forged/non crank, and different transmission ratios. Get one with a LSD. The early ones also have a bad rap for spinning bearings, but that may or may not be deserved. My 2007 is still going strong!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone say miata yet?

Buy a NB (99-200?).  Fun on it's own.  Moar fun if you spend that other $6K on a LS1 conversion.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#26]
NCs are better cars but the NB is the better Miata.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was single when I bought it... but already engaged, so you may have a point. 

BTW, have you been by my house lately?  I finally put a new paint job on the old thing, she looks like new again. 

(ETA:  For clarity, I'm talking about my Miata and not my wife... )
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was single when I bought it... but already engaged, so you may have a point. 

BTW, have you been by my house lately?  I finally put a new paint job on the old thing, she looks like new again. 

(ETA:  For clarity, I'm talking about my Miata and not my wife... )

He only buys fuel during the summer, so I haven't been by in a while. I think it was around late October.

My 9th grade English teacher stuffed one up a tree.

It was a beautiful car. He replaced it with an s2000.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Miata
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:06:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Posts like this, everyone always recommends miatas, but everyone I know that's had a miata was driving one because people recommended them as a fun sportscar, and were subsequently bored pretty quickly with them and looking for something else.

I've driven a few of them, some stock, some not. I feel like they are one of those cars where people only remember the good parts about them, and completely forget the bad parts, or try to justify them away. 
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is one of the few mini coopers i have seen that i have liked. I you wouldnt mind, can you give us a list of mods done to it?
View Quote

That's not mine, it was just a picture I could post up quick.  But yes, I agree.....pretty cool looking.  

This is mine.....it's a JCW car, so it's got the JCW cylinder head, exhaust, intake, tune, 380cc injectors, and I put a smaller 17% supercharger pulley on it so it makes around 16psi boost. It's also got some suspension work done to it...koni shocks, all poly engine transmission and suspension bushings. Better brakes...stuff like that.  Fun little car.........definitely took a while to get used to driving it instead of my Dodge Ram.   It probably makes a little over 200hp.....1st and 2nd gear are pretty worthless if you stomp the gas....spins the tires like crazy.  Handles like a gokart.

Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I answered that same question 2 years ago.  I wanted something fun to drive, cheap, and reliable.  It also had to last me a minimum of 2 years as a dedicated daily driver.  I bought a 2007 mustang gt.  It's met all my criteria.   I originally planned to drive it 2 years and sell/trade it.  Now I've decided to keep and mod it.   A good suspension upgrade, tires, and a few go fast goodies!  I'll still be under 10k and have something pretty capable.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Posts like this, everyone always recommends miatas, but everyone I know that's had a miata was driving one because people recommended them as a fun sportscar, and were subsequently bored pretty quickly with them and looking for something else.

I've driven a few of them, some stock, some not. I feel like they are one of those cars where people only remember the good parts about them, and completely forget the bad parts, or try to justify them away. 
View Quote

I have owned a Miata for 15 years,it is the best car I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Mazda 323 GTX.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's where the LS swaps come in. I've had the pleasure of driving an NB with a junkyard 4.8L and it was sublime.

If I had the time to build one, I would have an LS Miata for a daily driver.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That's where the LS swaps come in. I've had the pleasure of driving an NB with a junkyard 4.8L and it was sublime.

View Quote

Yes, I agree....but that's going to be well over OP's $10,000 budget.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes, I agree....but that's going to be well over OP's $10,000 budget.
View Quote
Always plan for the future. 
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I'd consider a 2003-2005 range Subaru WRX STI  iirc....300hp and all wheel drive.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet, there is a whole world of affordable fun to drive cars under 10K that could be purchased, even LS swapped that, are even useful to boot. 
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 1:34:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
And yet, there is a whole world of affordable fun to drive cars under 10K that could be purchased, even LS swapped that, are even useful to boot. 
View Quote
Useful isn't fun. Wheelspin at 60mph is fun.

The people you know didn't know how to have fun with one. OP said he'd be taking backroads to and from work, which is where the Miata will shine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 2:10:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Useful isn't fun. Wheelspin at 60mph is fun.

The people you know didn't know how to have fun with one. OP said he'd be taking backroads to and from work, which is where the Miata will shine.
View Quote
By shine, you mean show the singular redeeming feature of ownership, and that's predicated on the back-roads being extremely tight, because otherwise it would be a choice between going the speed limit and being boring, or going over it to try to have fun. 

I DD my MK3 supra and have PLENTY of fun on back roads, and can carry rifles in it, camping gear and all that noise for the weekend.  Plus it's more than just a fun car to drive, it's a fun car to own. I don't even have to be driving it to enjoy it, I can just park it and soon enough people start wondering over and checking it out and BS'ing about Supras because... Supra. Plus on top of being fun to drive on back-roads, it's fun to drive on highways and mountain passes because GT car.

As far as wheelspin at 60 being fun, I know, I have a 72 Mach1 with a 351 CJ 4v. It's also fun to put into four wheel slides, and hammer down. I've noticed more than once, when the poor gents in Miatas got stuck in traffic catching an ear full of straight piped V-8 goodness, than the wince of pain was also accompanied by a look of "maybe I should have got a bigger car". 
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 2:24:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
By shine, you mean show the singular redeeming feature of ownership, and that's predicated on the back-roads being extremely tight, because otherwise it would be a choice between going the speed limit and being boring, or going over it to try to have fun. 

I DD my MK3 supra and have PLENTY of fun on back roads, and can carry rifles in it, camping gear and all that noise for the weekend.  Plus it's more than just a fun car to drive, it's a fun car to own. I don't even have to be driving it to enjoy it, I can just park it and soon enough people start wondering over and checking it out and BS'ing about Supras because... Supra. Plus on top of being fun to drive on back-roads, it's fun to drive on highways and mountain passes because GT car.

As far as wheelspin at 60 being fun, I know, I have a 72 Mach1 with a 351 CJ 4v. It's also fun to put into four wheel slides, and hammer down. I've noticed more than once, when the poor gents in Miatas got stuck in traffic catching an ear full of straight piped V-8 goodness, than the wince of pain was also accompanied by a look of "maybe I should have got a bigger car". 
View Quote
His definition of fun may be different than yours or mine. For me, if it's loud, has 8 cylinders, a stiff chassis and corners like a train, I'm having a good time. 

FWIW, I wouldn't own a Miata unless it had a V8, but I know they can be enjoyed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 2:35:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
His definition of fun may be different than yours or mine. For me, if it's loud, has 8 cylinders, a stiff chassis and corners like a train, I'm having a good time. 

FWIW, I wouldn't own a Miata unless it had a V8, but I know they can be enjoyed.
View Quote
It might very well be, which is why I was admonishing how quick everyone is to always push Miatas.  
I mean, as you yourself say, you wouldn't settle for one stock, you'd want to LS swap it. 
Heck, you even put stiff chassis as a like... convertibles are not really known for that. 
Which is kind of my point as I originally made it, it's a very small vocal group of owners that push people to buy them, and a larger group of people who just repeat it, then the next level, guys like yourself who would own them conditionally. This thread is literally a perfect case study in that.  Only two longer term Miata owners, a bunch of people just saying miata with no supporting evidence, and guys like you nad myself who appreciate what they can do, but wound't leave them stock at all and make them do things that could be equally applied to any other small car. 

ETA- Keep an eye on it, as threads like this continue to get posted over and over again, or you go to car meets and cruise ins or other car forums and such, I feel like you might pick up on the same distribution of like opinions. 
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 4:04:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It might very well be, which is why I was admonishing how quick everyone is to always push Miatas.  
I mean, as you yourself say, you wouldn't settle for one stock, you'd want to LS swap it. 
Heck, you even put stiff chassis as a like... convertibles are not really known for that. 
Which is kind of my point as I originally made it, it's a very small vocal group of owners that push people to buy them, and a larger group of people who just repeat it, then the next level, guys like yourself who would own them conditionally. This thread is literally a perfect case study in that.  Only two longer term Miata owners, a bunch of people just saying miata with no supporting evidence, and guys like you nad myself who appreciate what they can do, but wound't leave them stock at all and make them do things that could be equally applied to any other small car. 

ETA- Keep an eye on it, as threads like this continue to get posted over and over again, or you go to car meets and cruise ins or other car forums and such, I feel like you might pick up on the same distribution of like opinions. 
View Quote
You'll notice I never recommended one, merely stated that they can be enjoyed in factory form.

For $10k, I'd likely go with a higher mileage GTO.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's not mine, it was just a picture I could post up quick.  But yes, I agree.....pretty cool looking.  

This is mine.....it's a JCW car, so it's got the JCW cylinder head, exhaust, intake, tune, 380cc injectors, and I put a smaller 17% supercharger pulley on it so it makes around 16psi boost. It's also got some suspension work done to it...koni shocks, all poly engine transmission and suspension bushings. Better brakes...stuff like that.  Fun little car.........definitely took a while to get used to driving it instead of my Dodge Ram.   It probably makes a little over 200hp.....1st and 2nd gear are pretty worthless if you stomp the gas....spins the tires like crazy.  Handles like a gokart.
View Quote

That thing must be fun and terrifying all at the same time.  My wife's Clubman S 6-speed in sport mode is lively enough for me

It also beats me to death on the lousy roads around here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#46]
350z
GTO
00-02 Camaro z28 or ss
05-09 Mustang GT
00-05 m3
In that order

I'm currently paying off my truck then promptly buying a 370z, BMW m3, 11+ mustang gt.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#47]
A K series engine Civic Si or Acura RSX Type S could be a pretty good choice if you're cool with FWD. Much rather have that than a Mini. 

S2000 also a great choice. 
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#48]
The real question is what can you afford in regards to maintenance?

Id this is a backup car that can sit in the garage, waiting on funds, when something goes out?

S2000s eat tires and tops.
GTOs have electrical glitches and may need full suspension at your price point.
A sub-$10k performance car probably needs a clutch in the near future.

Just things to keep in mind. I've always been attracted to vehicles that are semi uncommon. They may be cheap to purchase, but aftermarket is narrow and they usually have mechanical quirks that your local mechanic isn't used to dealing with.
This is part of the reason people love miatas. Simple, cheap and fun.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I still have my Miata and enjoy the hell out of it. I am not bored of it, and I can still learn a lot with it, but i am starting to want something faster. OP said super fast was not a priority so I stand by my recommendation. Especially given the budget. If the budget was much higher I would start talking about C7 Z51s and that is something I may do myself in a few years. However, there is still a lot to be said for an inexpensive Miata that wont financially ruin you if shit goes sideways.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#50]
MK5 VW GTI.
Can get 240hp with just software. Comfortable, can actually carry some stuff in it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top