Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2016 9:29:35 PM EDT
A few months ago, I installed a set of Ranch Hand Summit bumpers on my 2012 F-150. The weight of the front bumper  made the front end squat just a little more than it did when stock, so I have decided I want to level out the front end of the truck to get rid of the forward rake. Really don't want to use the spacer kits as they make the ride harsher and are more of a stopgap solution. I am looking at the following products:

Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks (shocks only)
Rancho QuickLift complete strut assembly, complete with coil springs.

Do any of you have experience with these products? From what I can tell, they are both quality brands but the Ranchos allow you to adjust the ride quality by just flipping a switch on the shock absorber itself, whereas you cannot do that on the Bilsteins.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the Rancho QuickLift on my '13 F150, it did not make the truck perfectly level, there is still a slight rake. I feel like I should have saved the money and just went with blocks. Yes they are adjustable, but I've just left them on the middle setting.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy 2" taller blistien shocks and taller stiffer coil springs to compensate for your bumper.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the bilstein 5100s on my 2011.   They're on the tallest setting (~2.25" of lift) and it is noticeably stiffer.  The 5100s work by putting the springs under tension; the more preload, the more lift.  I had a spacer kit on previously (needed new shocks so figured id step up to the bilstein) and it rode the same as stock since it doesn't rely on spring tension for lift.  The bilsteins are better on washboard roads but lose the Cadillac type ride.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Adding preload to compensate for increased weight isn't the best answer. You want a stiffer spring rate.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Adding preload to compensate for increased weight isn't the best answer. You want a stiffer spring rate.
View Quote

It looks like you're describing the Rancho QuickLift kit. I think the Bilstein adjustable height shocks are the ones that rely on the spring pre-load to determine ride height. Correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It looks like you're describing the Rancho QuickLift kit. I think the Bilstein adjustable height shocks are the ones that rely on the spring pre-load to determine ride height. Correct me if I am wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you just buy shocks, sure. But what you want is a height adjustable shock with a stiffer spring to accommodate the increased weight. If you owned a Toyota I'd point you in a few directions, but don't know who offers a good setup for a ford.

Bilstein makes the 6112 for a lot of vehicles. That's what I have on my Tacoma. Bigger shocks with a stiffer Eibach spring.

I'd pass on anything Rancho or Rough Country if ride quality is important to you.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got the Rancho QuickLift on my '13 F150, it did not make the truck perfectly level, there is still a slight rake. I feel like I should have saved the money and just went with blocks. Yes they are adjustable, but I've just left them on the middle setting.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=92998

View Quote

How is the ride quality compared to the stock suspension? Truck looks great, by the way.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Looks nice.

My 2011 is going to need new tires the first of the year. Going to lift and level so I can put a bit beefier set of AT's on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks nice.

My 2011 is going to need new tires the first of the year. Going to lift and level so I can put a bit beefier set of AT's on it.

Thanks, those are Toyo MT's (I've had 2 sets before, good tires). I may try the Nitto Ridge Grapplers when these wear out just to try something different for kicks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How is the ride quality compared to the stock suspension? Truck looks great, by the way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks! The tires affect the ride quality way more than this suspension setup. On the setting it's on now (in the middle) it's plush, certainly not harsh.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:01:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the 5100's on all corners of my 2013 F-150. I have the front set on the next notch up from stock (.75"?)  And it's perfect! Ride is great! Height is perfect! I love them.

I think the key is to not go crazy on the lift with these shocks, and the ride quality will still be great.
Top Top