Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2016 6:19:35 PM EDT
Normally I would do all my own work to my cars but I've gotten lazy.  I recently bought a 2014 VW Passat.  I love it, great car.
Today I went in for the 30k mile maintenance.  When everything was done and going to pay, they added a $26 "Data Processing" charge.  Ol' Ed is like wat.  

"Yes sir, that is a standard fee for processing data and keeping a record of service."

LoL, no.
They didn't remove the charge, but they lowered the price of the labor fee for the service.

Is that new or something?  I've never heard of it.  I ain't payin' no data processing mumbo jumbo.  Process deez nuts.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure but I have two Toyotas I bought new and use the online Toyota based record service at no charge.
Maybe VW has this and tell them next time you'll do it yourself.

Here is what the Toyota site looks like FHRC
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a new chevy and don't get charged "data fee".

that is something that VW is doing.  my guess is to  to re-coup the multi-million dollar fine they got slapped with. "data fee" X(times)  every VW dealership in the world  X  hundreds of thousand of vehicles monthly. yeah,   that would be substantial amount of ducats .
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been in the dealership service industry for years and have never heard of a data processing fee. If they don't charge an environment/ shop supplies fee its probably the same charge with a different name.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that's a gimmick gossett came up with similar to doc fees.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Never heard of that, I'll keep my own records thank you.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It was Gossett VW.. lol

I called him out on it and said it sounded like a scam.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It was Gossett VW.. lol

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was Gossett VW.. lol

I'm in OB, I knew who you were talking about
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#8]
My gf had her Jetta serviced at the beginning of this year and they didn't have that on there.

Must be new like Ghoul said to help cover all those TDIs they'll be buying back ;)

For my 40k service I may just take it to Wolfsburg Auto, I hear they have a great reputation with VW/Audis.

Data processing, lolol.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#9]
wolfsburg is good
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Dealerships and the service representatives count on getting perfect customer satisfaction scores.  They get bent out of shape for even 4 out of 5 stars.

Use that information as you see fit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I am a service advisor at a VW dealership and as I read what you wrote, I showed the other advisors and we laughed at Gosset because that shit is a scam. Granted, dealerships do cost more and VW maintenance can be expensive but adding extra fees is dumb. You lose business that way.

Surveys as stated above are a great tool to express how you feel about it be have those fees removed or reimbursed. Let me know if you need any info on your cars or how some maintenance should be done or cost.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Been in this industry for 13 years and have heard of dealers doing this. Never worked for one that did do it though. It is just an extra way for that dealer to pad their bottom line with a fee when they ALREADY have to do what they are charging you for. Between the manufacturer or the state/local laws they have to retain your invoices for a specific period of time anyways. Next time they hit you with that, tell them to shred your file and accounting copies and not charge you and see what happens..lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top