Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2016 1:51:11 PM EDT
EDITED   -  Found a reply on Steel Soldiers that says it is 1.62" thick.

I'm the lucky new owner of a M101A2 Trailer from auction.

I'm heading up to pick it up, and I have a Quickie Question about the size (specifically the THICKNESS of the towing Lunette.

Can anyone tell me How "THICK" is the lunette?  I've ordered a 10,000lb Pintel Hitch off Amazon, but have found a quickie possible option locally at harbor freight for a Clevis Trailer Pin Mount so I can tow the trailer home.

Clevis Tow Hitch - Harbor Freight

Description says it has a 2" gap, and you supply a "1" thick bolt as the "Post" for the towing loop - lunette.

I'm sure that a dedicated Pintel hitch is 101% "better",but for a short term tow of an unloaded trailer (just trying to get it home), I'm trying to figure if this will work?

Thank You Any and All for your insight or experience!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]
No Tractor Supply, RV dealer, NAPA, etc around you? Any of them should have the pintle and the drawbar it bolts to.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The Harbor Freight is $22. + Bolt & Nut for $2 at Home Depot.

The Tractor Supply is $88

I already have a Military Pintel on my CUCV II, but was looking for a low cost option for moving a few around.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Just verifying your finding.  Measued 1 5/8, which is 1.625
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just verifying your finding.  Measued 1 5/8, which is 1.625
View Quote

Thank You indeed Sir!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Harbor Freight is $22. + Bolt & Nut for $2 at Home Depot.

The Tractor Supply is $88

I already have a Military Pintel on my CUCV II, but was looking for a low cost option for moving a few around.

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Home depot had a 1" bolt? The one in my area sure wouldn't. It needs to be hardened, not just an all-thread. You should buy a real hitch pin. Any tractor supply / farm store should have one.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:26:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the suggestion.

Going to visit a few to find the right one.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top