Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2016 1:52:11 PM EDT
Hey Guys -

I have a 2014 RAM that I need new brakes on.  I called around and got answers anywhere from $200 to $700.  Seemed really odd to me.

What can I expect to pay?  Any recommendations on type's of places to get this work done (national chains, dealerships, local shops?)?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If it just needs new pads you could do all 4 wheels yourself for under $100(Rock Auto) and a couple hours of your time. Otherwise, any car dealership or local shop.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey Guys -

I have a 2014 RAM that I need new brakes on.  I called around and got answers anywhere from $200 to $700.  Seemed really odd to me.

What can I expect to pay?  Any recommendations on type's of places to get this work done (national chains, dealerships, local shops?)?
View Quote

Firestone/tiresplus will likely be able to do the job cheaper than anybody else without resorting to the crappiest components.  Just make sure you select a good branch.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey Guys -

View Quote

OP, it varies based on a lot of factors, but pads vs. pads & rotors and trucks vs. cars are some big ones.  I've replaced both pads and rotors on all 4 wheels on both my Chevy Suburban and Avalanche in the past year and I learned a lot.  The Suburban was my first time changing out everything and I went with a lower cost kit of 4 rotors and 4 pads for ~$430 (brakeperformance.com) plus I had to buy a larger floor jack and a few more tools.  Took good bit of the day to get all the work done (hand tools only, no electric or air driven tools to loosen bolts).  

Fast forward 7-8 months and I go to replace the Avalanche pads & rotors.  Same basic vehicle underneath, but I knew what I was doing and looking for.  Did more research and found higher quality product (EBC pads & rotors from Amazon Prime) for a bit higher price ($550).  Friend with air tools offered to help and we had all 4 brakes swapped out AND did a full brake system bleed in about 4 hours.

I'd check Rock Auto, Summit Racing, AutoZone, NAPA and depending on what performance you are looking for, I am very happy with the EBC products.  Then consider DIY, getting a experienced friend to help or a shop to do all the work.  Wife had estimate from the Chevy dealer for OEM quality parts and ~$600 per axle...so I saved a lot, but it did take some time and effort (esp. first time).
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#4]
How many miles? Disc front, drum rear?

2014 and normal miles? I'd caliper the front rotor for spec and replace pads if they were within and not warped...otherwise, replace rotor and pads up front. Just guessing but rear drums should be GTG on a 2014.

Yes, sub $100 but as mentioned above, you can buy quality. I did a Camry (rotor/pads) for $68
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]
based on where you are you will get variations for a couple of reasons.

Till they see it, they don't know how rusted up everything is.
Sure it is a 2/3 year old truck, but if you don't ever wash it down after the salt on the roads, they may need to replace several things.
So high price so you aren't shocked when they say x part needs to be replaced because it is too rusted.

Low prices are to get you in the door and then say oh my, x and y need to be replaced that will be 800 bucks. (while most places only say that if you need it, there will be those that say that even if you don't)

Not saying all of them will be like that, but that is the norm.

Eitherway you are going to be pissed if you go to the 200 dollar place and wind up spending 700 bucks.

Ask around, find out who others go to and don't have a problem with. Word of mouth is a huge thing for shops.
If like the others said you are willing to try and do it yourself, you can save a few hundred.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:43:04 AM EDT
[#6]
This is one of the reasons that you bought a truck, so that you could save money by doing an easy ass repair job yourself.  Can you change oil? well than you can chage disc brake pads.  Takes maybe an hour.

1. remove wheel
2. remove caliper bolts (may need special socket)
3. set caliper on top of front suspension arm to take weight off brake line
4. remove rotor
5. take rotor to local shop and have them resurface it for like $10
6. reinstall rotor
7. remove pads from inside caliper and install new pads
8. reinstall caliper
9. put on the wheel
11. profit!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#7]
There are a ton of DIY vids on youtube.  Do it yourself and save big.

For example...

My 2004 Honda Odyssey.  Dealer wanted $966.51 for all four rotors and pads.  I literally laughed when he told me this.  It was already in for air bag recall.
Went to Brakeperformance.com and ordered every thing I needed.  $199.00 shipped to my door.  
Spent a little over two hours doing all four corners.
Saved $767.51 doing it myself.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys, I'm going to try it out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Depends on the size of the brakes and how good a pad you need. Brakes for my cts-v ran $700 for the higher carbon centric rotors and Hawk pads. My Miata would probably run less than half of that.

Don't know of dodge does this, but my dads 04 f150 front rotors ran high because they imbed the outer wheel bearing in the rotor. Also, online places like rock auto will be cheaper for the same grade than a parts store.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Look for youtube tutorials, or google search for a walkthrough on a forum.

Also finding the service manual for your year make model truck can be extremely helpful.

It's not hard. You just have to take your time and check your work.

Plus it's a great feeling when you're done and will leave you wanting to learn more
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey Guys -

View Quote

If your going to have it done, take it to a smaller shop that has a good reputation.  If you have time, get a couple of estimates.

It's not hard to do a truck if the rotors and drums are still in good shape.  Pads from Amazon, Rock Auto, etc.  If you're not familiar with doing brakes, get someone who is to help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top