BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2016 7:51:15 PM EDT
My last thread must have gotten deleted

Backstory to it:

Have a rust free 1987 bronco, previous owner was some neck tattoo'd imbred. He took out the original EFI 302/auto/pushbutton 4x4 and put a carbed 351W, Borg Warner T-18, and some manual T case in it.

Will get new pics of the bronco when its nice out again.

Got $150 for the engine, $60 for the carb, have an edelbrock performer 351W intake still, $75 for the gearbox, still have the trans

Bought the tire carrier rack for $30, its rust free.

Have a 1990 5.0 that ill be doing a valve job on and a whole bunch of new parts will be installed.

Been looking for an auto tranny for a couple weeks now. Everyone wants an arm and a leg for their E40D or AOD, IF I find a decent C6, ill pick it up at this point.

Alot of the wiring in the bronco was cut for this imbreds MSD ignition. So factory wiring is almost all still there, he left it in. I hate how he was a hackjob but at the same time I like that he didn't touch a bunch of the stuff.

Pics to come. Hopefully this time the thread doesn't get deleted, and ill post more regular updates
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Whats left of the imbreds drivetrain, I should sell it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, wish I could work on stuff like that
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#3]
You should figure out how to come see me for parts . I have a 90 sitting here in the yard . I bought for the front end sheet metal  It has an EFI 351
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should figure out how to come see me for parts . I have a 90 sitting here in the yard . I bought for the front end sheet metal  It has an EFI 351
View Quote

Funny, mine was originally from GA, Is your tranny any good? i'd make a trip out there just for it possibly if the price was right.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag because I want a bronco bad.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice.

Are you planning on restoring it to the original EFI and push-button 4WD?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice.

Are you planning on restoring it to the original EFI and push-button 4WD?
View Quote

EFI - Yes, already have a 5.0 for it

Pushbutton 4x4 - Probably not, seeing as how I already have a T-case, the floor is already cut out for manual, I don't like the auto t case in my 00 F250, and I can use the switch panel for a winch and KC lights
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Side view, has two dents that will be pulled out by a shop when I start the body work

Front end, minus the custom bumper, had to take it off to pull the engine

The next three pics are the entirety of the body rust!

Wheel wells look like this on all 4

So when the previous owner swapped it all, he really messed shit up with the wiring, so here is my interior as of right now. Thankfully i'm the first to take the dash out

Engine bay will be cleaned up after I finish getting the harness out and replacing a couple things he cut.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:45:48 AM EDT
[#9]
My dad had two blue/'tan EB Broncos just like that, first was an 81 and the other was an 87, except it was the 351W "HO" which ironically had less real world power than the same year EFI 5.0 or 4.9.

Later on we had an 88 5.0 EFI and it had so much more power than the 351W it was just stupid. Both had 3.55 gears, the carbed 351W was just a pig.  Ran smooth, got decent mileage considering it only had the C6. I regret not buying it from my dad all the time, I would probably still have it.

I could never figure out retards that want to carb all the things just because.. Back when I hung out on a lot of truck forums it was usually something stupid like a basic sensor/drivability issue that could be resolved with a code reader, meter, and some sleuthing. But nope, ultimately there were always the guys that "hate computers" and ripped it all apart to put a shitty carb intake and MSD on a perfectly good stock engine.

Best of luck and have fun splicing the harness back together again. JYs just  aren't full of F-150s and Broncos like they were 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:57:18 AM EDT
[#10]
1985 Bronco owner here-5.0 EFI, AOD, solid axle swap (with Detriots), interior done, just need paint!

Keep it up bro, it's a lot of work, but it's worth it. We've got to keep these things on the road. I wouldn't give up mine for anything. Of course, my mom bought it when I was 3, so I've seen the world change through that windshield in a way. It's my daily driver.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:58:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My dad had two blue/'tan EB Broncos just like that, first was an 81 and the other was an 87, except it was the 351W "HO" which ironically had less real world power than the same year EFI 5.0 or 4.9.

Later on we had an 88 5.0 EFI and it had so much more power than the 351W it was just stupid. Both had 3.55 gears, the carbed 351W was just a pig.  Ran smooth, got decent mileage considering it only had the C6. I regret not buying it from my dad all the time, I would probably still have it.

I could never figure out retards that want to carb all the things just because.. Back when I hung out on a lot of truck forums it was usually something stupid like a basic sensor/drivability issue that could be resolved with a code reader, meter, and some sleuthing. But nope, ultimately there were always the guys that "hate computers" and ripped it all apart to put a shitty carb intake and MSD on a perfectly good stock engine.

Best of luck and have fun splicing the harness back together again. JYs just  aren't full of F-150s and Broncos like they were 15 years ago.
View Quote

We call them guys "knuckle draggers". They should go back to bicycles and skateboards for transportation, far less complicated.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:01:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
1985 Bronco owner here-5.0 EFI, AOD, solid axle swap (with Detriots), interior done, just need paint!

Keep it up bro, it's a lot of work, but it's worth it. We've got to keep these things on the road. I wouldn't give up mine for anything. Of course, my mom bought it when I was 3, so I've seen the world change through that windshield in a way. It's my daily driver.
View Quote

My dad and I went a lot of places in the Bronco as a kid. I remember that interior like the back of my hand,, but I haven't been in one in years. Wish I could find a nice one that has not been fucked up.

I never even got to take the top off.. Dad refused to, he was convinced that if he ever broke the seal it would always leak after that.

I remember when my dad sold the 81 so he could buy the 87, I cried and didn't want it to go away. I used to have a picture of me hugging the Bronco on the last day it was in our driveway LOL
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:14:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually around here scrapyards have more 87-91 F150's than they do superduties, I just cant pull a transmission on my own at the scrapyard. I have one coming, trading me straight up for my edelbrock intake though.

Should I go AOD or C6? Which would be easier to install? I know building a C6 is cheaper, and I heard mixed posts on whether the AOD or C6 is stronger.

But the AOD is practically coming for free to me.

Also I pick up my exhaust valves tomorrow (today) after class. Sealed power brand. Made bt federal mogul, the reviews I read on them were that they work without issues, which is what I want. Im not going for power, im building the bronco for longetivity.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#14]
You should stop by the Ham radio forum.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Actually around here scrapyards have more 87-91 F150's than they do superduties, I just cant pull a transmission on my own at the scrapyard. I have one coming, trading me straight up for my edelbrock intake though.

Should I go AOD or C6? Which would be easier to install? I know building a C6 is cheaper, and I heard mixed posts on whether the AOD or C6 is stronger.

Also I pick up my exhaust valves tomorrow (today) after class. Sealed power brand. Made bt federal mogul, the reviews I read on them were that they work without issues, which is what I want. Im not going for power, im building the bronco for longetivity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want OD I would get an E4OD. It's basically a C6 with OD and just about everything that can be done to the C6 can be done to it. But you will need a compatible PCM and harness for it.

C6 is fine for around town.. It will wind up too high on the highway if you plan to drive at those speeds with low gearing. I'm sure you know this though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I am sending you an email
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Here is the bumper, since its sort of offroady, I am going to bedline it and maybe just bedline the rest of the truck next spring, then i'll never worry about painting it again, or rusting through.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#19]
If you need wiring diagrams look up a EVTM for it on ebay, they lay out everything really nice and shows you where stuff is and what it should look like.  The one for my '85 Ranger was $15.

Three speed automatics get the job done but it is phenomenal how much fuel a V8 can move turning 3k rpm down the highway at 60mph.  I have a 302 in my Ranger with a C5 (fancy C4) and I get around 11mpg hwy.  Bigger brick, heavier brick, bigger engine... do the math.  3.73's and 31's truck weighs around 4k, nothing real crazy.  I am planning on putting a 5 speed in it.

(my 302 is carbed as was the 2.8 before it)
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I should have a wiring harness if the 351 harness will work, plus I am bumping this for updates. mine has 3.55's in it also
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#21]
The eyebrows, I rost
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I should have a wiring harness if the 351 harness will work, plus I am bumping this for updates. mine has 3.55's in it also
View Quote

Honestly im trading my intake manifold for a whole bunch of parts, and my wiring harness is fucked but salvageable. Worst case, I pay my old man to do it, he's pretty electrically inclined
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Today's update:

Found a C6 for $100 last week, picked it up saturday. Motherfucker lied to me and it was for a big block 70's ford and not a small block like he said. Im just gonna screenshot our convo and post it on the facebook page saying that hes a lying piece of shit. Also got a working NP203 with it so thats good, I guess, anyone need it? Ill cut you a great deal.

Today I traded my edelbrock 351 performer intake to a guy (who pulled the block a few weeks back) for a 92-96 AOD 4 speed. Ill make it work in my 87. Shouldn't be entirely too difficult. Also it has an electric t case on it to match what I already had in the Bronco.

So now I have an NP203, a t case that hooks up to a BW T-18, and the electric one.

Heads are off the 5.0. One exhaust valve has 2mm of crap caked on it, that was probably the issue with it. Everything else looks good. So ill be cleaning up the block, painting it orange, new valves and valve guides, 6K Rpm springs, lifters, a replacement oil pump, cleaning off the pistons while in the block, new gaskets, new oil pan. I heard the timing chains and oil pumps were the weak spots in this engine so i'll be doing those. While the heads are off i'll be porting and polishing everything. ARP headstuds, and some nice valve covers and I should be set.

Transmission, still debating whether I build it or if I just leave it. By spring time ill be putting the truck back together, so it leaves me 5 or so months to take my time and build everything.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Build up on higher mileage valves is common .  The bright side of AOD is about 2 MPG . Gasket match the heads and intake an inch or 2 into the ports . clean up the bowl area and buy a torque cam from Crane .
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#25]
You should be able to find a 1989-1993 AOD which is already rebuilt.  With a valve body and converter change, it will take everything your 351W can throw at it.  Otherwise find as low a mileage 1989-1993 example which you can find and run it with a valve body and converter change until it fails then rebuild it yourself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You should be able to find a 1989-1993 AOD which is already rebuilt.  With a valve body and converter change, it will take everything your 351W can throw at it.  Otherwise find as low a mileage 1989-1993 example which you can find and run it with a valve body and converter change until it fails then rebuild it yourself.
View Quote

The AODE I got last weekend is MOST likely getting a new filter and fluid and going in my dads bronco... I got the "Yeah the trans slips a little" speech from my dad ] this weekend after he floors the piss out of it and squeals tires with it while its cold, then it starts acting up on the way to Walmart.

So my search for an AOD or even a 4/5 speed without a granny low continues.

This weekend I got the engine down to almost bare block, and one of the head almost decent enough to look clean with a sandblaster.

Also got intake valves. I will be rebuilding the whole upper end.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:30:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Today was an excellent day!

I drove 2 hours and 10 minutes through some shitty weather for a mazda M5R2 4+OD trans! Less than 100K miles and although it was dirty from being pulled, its actually pretty decent looking on the outside, and it shifts smooth at the shifter.

On my way home my truck started running really good since it was running and driving for about 3 hours straight at that point. I must've burned out all the soot that builds up with my short trips all the time.

Got home and pulled the cover off. No metal shavings inside the gearbox, fluid smelt and looked great. Guy parted out the 89 F150 it came out of because he'd make more parting it out than he would sticking money into it and selling it.

My F250 also saw above 12 MPG for the first time in a while as well.

I should post some pics.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:21:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Didn't get anything done this weekend, it was a national guard weekend.

Last week I started tearing the interior out. Floor has 4 rust holes, nothing a little welding and sheet metal can't fix. The whole thing is getting bedlined after I get any surface rust off or converted anyways.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Arfcom rocks! Getting an uncut wiring harness from another arfcommer!

Interior is almost all pulled.

It's going to be a long, cold winter I think. I'll spend all winter getting everything together and the first decent week in spring, i'll get it up and running
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#30]
New wiring harness came in today! Engine is completely apart as well
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Hell yeah. With vehicles like this, you have to drive them or stuff starts breaking, and going bad. If you drive it, you keep the seals lubricated, and the rust/soot/cobwebs out, and they live a much longer life.

The more you drive it, the better feel you have for it, so you can just feel when something goes wrong, rather than waiting for the smoke plume to catch up with you.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hell yeah. With vehicles like this, you have to drive them or stuff starts breaking, and going bad. If you drive it, you keep the seals lubricated, and the rust/soot/cobwebs out, and they live a much longer life.

The more you drive it, the better feel you have for it, so you can just feel when something goes wrong, rather than waiting for the smoke plume to catch up with you.
View Quote

She has about $1500 worth of work until I even think about starting it up and driving it. But in any case she will be driven on a regular basis during the nice parts of the year when I get her running.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#33]
So I just want to post this update to keep my thread going.

I've been a little busy this entire time with college and work, so I can only work a few hours a week on the Bronco

Its T shirt weather in November so I've been doing chassis stuff on it, right now im working hard on getting all the old wiring harness out. Ill be leaving her outside all winter. Next spring ill be doing all my body work so whatever rots away this winter will be showing me where I'll pay the most attention.

I told the girlfriend that im putting her ass to work on it this weekend. Haha.

FBHO, FHRC, Go Trump!
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#34]

One head that is ready for some hand polishing/porting

And my block which was cleaned using the easiest method ever; Oven cleaner and a garden hose.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Get a die grinder and clean up the head ports a little, Crash clean up , trace the gasket onto the head and go into the head and inch matching to the gasket with a clean taper
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 3:28:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Get a die grinder and clean up the head ports a little, Crash clean up , trace the gasket onto the head and go into the head and inch matching to the gasket with a clean taper
View Quote

Exactly what I plan on doing.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good, it'll take to a nice big cam a lot better after you do that.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying for power. 240HP is my goal, Reliability build

The other head gets painted tomorrow and I'll start blasting the block tomorrow and prepping it for paint as well
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Skip the lumpy cam . Buy a Crane 2021 . It is idle to 4200 perfect for a truck application . Lots of torque and torque is what moves you down the street . I assume hydraulic and not a roller cam.. I suggest Crane because all of the older Ford Motorsport cams were done by Crane .  Plus this cam will work with  stock fuel injection. If you have any questions about Ford let me know . I have built a few
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I swapped from a truck/crown vic cam in my 302 to a Mustang cam because it was supposed to be a significant power on the cheap with E7 heads.

Yeah, above 4k rpm which my lifted truck on mud tires rarely sees.  Down low where I normally am we lost.  Still has plenty of power but just not the neck snapping bounce your head off the back window low end torque I had before.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Alright so block is painted, as are both the heads.

Gas tank is out, will need a new heat shield though, those bolts weren't rusted to the point of being impossible to remove but I stripped one and ended up just cutting it out with an angle grinder.

Costs so far

Bronco - $2000 (trade value when I got it)
Engine sold +$150
Intake traded for transmission
Carb + $60
5 speed for this bronco -$150 - M5OD-R2
5.0 rebuilder engine -100
Chassis wiring harness - $545 from an arfcommer
DMV stuff - $79

Total into project - $2874 - money I made back + $210 so end total is $2664 and a spare trans for my Dads 94 Bronco.

Edit: spent probably around $160 on the intake and exhaust valves as well. $150-$160 for sure
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Gas tank is out, will need a new heat shield though, those bolts weren't rusted to the point of being impossible to remove but I stripped one and ended up just cutting it out with an angle grinder.

Costs so far

Engine sold +$150
Carb + $60
DMV stuff - $79

Total into project - $2874 - money I made back + $210 so end total is $2664 and a spare trans for my Dads 94 Bronco.

Edit: spent probably around $160 on the intake and exhaust valves as well. $150-$160 for sure
View Quote

I have the tank skid plate , It seems big to ship though ,
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Costs so far

Engine sold +$150
Carb + $60
DMV stuff - $79

True. I'll find one locally
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Got the oem front bumper and spare tire carrier and spare today for free... Just going to sell it all, since I have a rust free rack and offroad bumper.

Got the old fuel pump out today as well.

Also forgot to add, paid $30 for a spare carrier from florida
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Cool project. I'm working on a 83 Bronco myself that I bought cheap and rust free that's always been in Texas  Its got the 300 inline 6, C6 trans np208 t-case and 8.8 rear. Even being  a Custom trim it somehow got factory quad shocks in front and sliding windows in the rear.

Got a Clifford 4 barrel intake, edelbrock 500cfm carb and a pair of efi split exhaust manifolds which are basically shorty headers that's getting put on while its getting rebuilt very soon

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Alright guys! DU must've hacked arf and broke the formatting because the new one sucks

Anyways, got the chassis harness from Whiskerz, was going to get the engine bay harness from him too but one of my friends said that the localish junk yard had a single bronco that just so happened to be an 87-91 year range.

Here's my snapchat story of today.

So this wiring harness is cut in 7 places. 6 by me (Grounds with ground bolts rusted to truck) and 1 by the previous owner who didn't treat the truck right. The one I didn't do is an easy fix though.

20 minutes to pull. Started seeing Ford trucks on the opposite side of the yard and I wandered over, stood up in the bed of a crashed one and looked for a minute and recognized the topper that only broncos have. Was disappointed to see this ones condition but whatever, I need parts.

This is for the 6cyl engine as well, so it looks like my broncos getting a 300I6 instead of the 5.0 I have. Its alright though because the 5.0 can be in a mustang project or something, while the I6 is a tank of a motor
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Wow those are rusty , The one I am pulling parts off has virtually no rust . .
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:43:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wow those are rusty , The one I am pulling parts off has virtually no rust . .
View Quote

The wiring harness that I pulled is pristine though. Thats all I grabbed.

The only other things I would have snagged from this truck would be the interior rear panels and maybe the tire carrier (trunk style, not swing) if I knew it would hold a 33" tire just fine.

Otherwise this is a pile of rust. Lol
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#49]
This weeks update!

December 17th i'm picking up a 4.9L 300 I6 with 97K on it

That weekend I will also be getting as much stuff as possible done so that maybe I can get her started Christmas/new years

99% chance she wont be running but if she fires on starting fluid, i'm golden.

My biggest thing is mounting the 300 in the engine bay with a 5.0 crossmember but hey! I've a welder, grinder, and drill so what could go wrong?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

My new car is injected and really nice, and modern systems are super easy to tune,  but my vintage truck will always have it's fuel metered by a Q-Jet. 80's FI was crap, way different animal than what we have now, limited tuneability, not much advantage there. Want a better intake or hot cam, SOL. Plus, 20-30 year old sensors and connectors are a headache. They don't take vacuum leaks well. Q-Jets just run. The expense for a new system is just too much for too little. The people who insist on slapping a Holley on everything are just stupid.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top