Google searches for reviews on
existing packs all indicate that
most are crap.

Who can show me a good one?

Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I run a dealership shop and buy 4-5 a year. None of them hold up for long.....even when constantly plunged in. The longest lasting one is a deep cycle starting battery that we bolted jumper cable ends to the terminals.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
We've had one model last 2-3 years, and they get used pretty regularly at my job. They rarely get plugged in, either. I have to work Sunday, I'll try to remember to get a pic. I know this model isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Harbor Freight as you'll by a new one regardless every year or 2.  FYI, you don't want a compressor unless you want to take 5 hours to air up a car tire.  use a real air compressor for that.

1. rear map lights are your source if you have kids
2. or if you have one of the newer ones that have a transmitter key with push button ignition, keep the transmitter at least 25 feet or more away from the car when not in use as they'll communicate and wear the battery down.  Happens with Corvettes all the time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for that link.

That thread is a good read.

John

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#6]
She leaves the key in the ignition
here at home, so that might be part
of the issue, except we have had it
kill the battery while on trips, with the
key in the room with us.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

John

Quoted:
Harbor Freight as you'll by a new one regardless every year or 2.  FYI, you don't want a compressor unless you want to take 5 hours to air up a car tire.  use a real air compressor for that.

1. rear map lights are your source if you have kids
2. or if you have one of the newer ones that have a transmitter key with push button ignition, keep the transmitter at least 25 feet or more away from the car when not in use as they'll communicate and wear the battery down.  Happens with Corvettes all the time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife's Yukon will drain the battery
from time to time. I intend to chase
that rabbit down, but I also want a
good jump pack.

One with a compressor, and charge
ports would be nice, but a single
function unit would be ok, as long
as I can buy a good one.  

Google searches for reviews on
existing packs all indicate that
most are crap.

Who can show me a good one?

Thanks!

John
View Quote

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-gear-for-your-road-trip/#starter
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700 Peak Amp 12-Volt Jump Starter.  Most shops use it and I've had one since 2012.  It does require her to pop the hood, but it's worth it for a big SUV.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700 Peak Amp 12-Volt Jump Starter.  Most shops use it and I've had one since 2012.  It does require her to pop the hood, but it's worth it for a big SUV.
View Quote

We have had issues with a battery being dead, mine from sitting for 3 days with the dashcam still on, wife forgets to turn of the 2-way radio, those motorola's can drain a battery.

We bought 2 of the Jump-n-Carry's JNC660 and feel money well spent, they sit next to our BoG's and Medical Kits in the cars. Mine keeps my Sig PM400 company
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Yup, Jump-n-Carry.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:44:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I run a dealership shop and buy 4-5 a year. None of them hold up for long.....even when constantly plunged in. The longest lasting one is a deep cycle starting battery that we bolted jumper cable ends to the terminals.
View Quote

My repair shop was factory authorized repair for most manufacturers of jump box. The worst thing you can do is leave them plugged in all the time. Only charge when needed or every 6 months if you don't use it. They will last for years. The heavier they are the better and that goes for battery chargers to.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:01:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Only used it a handful of times, but I've been happy with this one. One of my car's hadn't moved in almost a year and it's battery was dead, this little guy started it no problem and it still had like a 75% charge left.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T2GT9L4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#13]
solar es2500 booster pac   the best on the market
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

How many times has your battery gone flat? The battery may have permanent damage from over-discharge.

My car lives in a garage with an alarm system, so I left the key in the ignition until I realized that it was draining the battery. Now I take the key out, and throw it on the dash.

ETA:
Oh, and I use a 3s LiPo RC battery to jump my truck. It's got 4" wires on it and will turn it over and start without issue, even when the truck battery is at 9V.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#15]
We just purchased a lithium jump start pack from Costco. $59, and it appears to be just like the one mentioned above. Different color and brand. 8000 Mah. Awesome little device.

Started my dead F150 right away.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Just finished ordering that exact one.  I'll get to test it out real world through work.  Jumping dead cars all the time in the winter.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Probably 5 or 6 times in the
2 years we have owned it.

She had it checked recently &
they told here the battery &
and the charge system both
check out good.

We were gone for 10 days & it
started up no problem.

I talked to one of our local
mechanics & he told me that
a friend of ours was having the
same issue with a Chevy Tahoe,
and they found the hot terminal
on the battery was not making good
contact with the hot cable, even though
there was no corrosion. This could be
our issue. I am thinking that when it
won't start, you move the terminal a
little when you put the jumper cable
in place. I will check that first, the next
time it won't start.

John

Quoted:

How many times has your battery gone flat? The battery may have permanent damage from over-discharge.

My car lives in a garage with an alarm system, so I left the key in the ignition until I realized that it was draining the battery. Now I take the key out, and throw it on the dash.

ETA:
Oh, and I use a 3s LiPo RC battery to jump my truck. It's got 4" wires on it and will turn it over and start without issue, even when the truck battery is at 9V.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top