Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/31/2016 4:40:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dbaird]
Bought this in June and it was in a million pieces in boxes. Archived original thread - Fj40 Build

So my goal is to get this hunk of junk on the road in time to take it to cruiserfest 2016 which happens to be very close to where i live. It's in Sept and i still have a bunch of work to do.

Wish me luck!

Threw my new wheels on to roll it over to my dad's shop to work with A/C and proper tools.

And how it currently sits, pulled doors and top off to see what it looks like and to clean it out.

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Started figuring out my power steering conversion.

Using a saginaw steering box. Still need a pump for the motor though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:37:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shootstraight93] [#2]
Cool project OP, it would be impossible to find a similar one where I live that was not made of dust
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shootstraight93:
Cool project OP, it would be impossible to find a similar one where I live that was not made of dust
View Quote

Thanks! Someone luckily stopped a lot of the rust before it got too out of control. it will need some metal patching but for now i just want it on the road.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By dbaird:

Thanks! Someone luckily stopped a lot of the rust before it got too out of control. it will need some metal patching but for now i just want it on the road.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shootstraight93:

I like the well used look.
Makes it easier to use it like it was purposed by Toyota rather than a show rig
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#5]
awesome project,  can't wait to see how it turns out.  I currently daily drive a 100 series.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool project. Good luck. Will be checking back for updates and pics.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Update time! Found the shift knob hidden in a corner of the glove box.

My brother started on the exhaust too.

Junkyard score. Ps pump setup and alternator with all the brackets i needed. Will need to make a different power steering bracket though since the motor mounts to the area the ps pump would normally go.

Alternator on. Almost time to start it up!

Thats all for now. Slowly getting closer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My dad modified the power steering pump bracket and got it all mounted up. Need to get some lines made still but its progress.

All cleaned and painted.

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#9]
My dad and brother both know how to weld, i however never really tried to learn. That is until now, one of my goals on this project is to learn how to weld so i attempted that with the exhaust.

My first attempts were less than pretty.

But after some guidance from my brother i was able to start to get the hang of it.

I was able to get both mufflers welded into place and will hopefully get the exits down today.

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Starting to come together!
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Loving the progress!
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Exhaust exits ready to be added.

Little bit of high temp black

and done! waiting on some bolt on exhaust hangers but other than that should be good to go.

ordering the rest of the power steering components today. maybe get that all buttoned up next weekend!
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:22:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#13]
I had a CJ7 with side exhaust. One of the worst decisions I ever made on that build.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:17:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbaird] [#14]
Originally Posted By Tim_McBride:
Starting to come together!
View Quote

Originally Posted By MiniZ:
Loving the progress!
View Quote

Thanks Guys!!

Originally Posted By jeep450:
I had a CJ7 with side exhaust. One of the worst decisions I ever made on that build.
View Quote

Not my first choice but with the headers it was the only option so il make it work for now. My goal at the moment is just to get it on the road.

Finishing up my power steering conversion now. Almost there!

Expensive box of linkage.

Drop pitman arm, new draglink and gm conversion tie rod mocked up. Looking way better than with the pitman arm that was in the back of the truck.

Im going to pull the other bar out and clean and paint it to match.

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#16]
My power steering kit had a yoke that was to big for my steering box but luckily a local company had the right piece in stock.

And all ready to be installed for good.

Steering is completely done! Now onto the brakes. Everything was thrown into boxes so we have been piecing together everything starting from the front and working our way back. So far the fronts are complete and hopefully we will finish the rear end today.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:12:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jmt1271] [#17]
Man,  love seeing these things come back together.

I'd love to find an older one with original 6. Sadly,  I've been priced out of the market.

Please keep the pictures coming.  Awesome thread.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jmt1271:

I'd love to find an older one with original 6. Sadly,  I've been priced out of the market.

View Quote

Prices in the US are insane but clean 40s here are still pretty affordable.  I've seen minty ones go for under $10k.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I had one for years. Best 4wd I ever had. Drove mine out in a river once. I had water up to the seats. Water was passing through the interior. My passengers were climbing for high ground and I made it to a sand bar. I drove around out on the sand bar for a while and headed back to shore.  Ive had two CJ7's and theres no comparison.
The frame is twice as heavy, everything is built like a tank.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice work! That is going to be awesome when you're finished.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#21]
those are really cool vehicles

but having the exhaust hanging down like that on an off road vehicle, is asking for trouble.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 11:25:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#22]
My 76 before I redid the suspension with new leaf packs.

[/img]

I second the rerouting the exhaust and moving the mufflers, you are going to roast the driver side floor unless you either add a heat shield or wrap it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks guys! I have been thinking of a different way to route the exhaust but for now it will have to work. Most the off roading i will be doing will mainly be desert roads and such here in Utah. Hopefully today I will get the brakes completed and then I can start getting the motor ready to go.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Update time!

Front end all together

Power steering lines all done.

Back on the ground. All the brakes are done and functional, clutch system all works, power steering is complete.

New master cylinders, clutch system and brakes are 100% new

Just need to run the fuel lines and fix the wiring mess and we should be good to go!

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Update time!

Front end all together

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/stockredej1/FJ40/586A3ACE-6D84-4F44-B6B4-16746B146217_zpsiqkquyos.jpg

Power steering lines all done.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/stockredej1/FJ40/B4F892AB-DBD2-4827-9B92-EE9A933775F8_zpsr4vracuh.jpg

Back on the ground. All the brakes are done and functional, clutch system all works, power steering is complete.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/stockredej1/FJ40/1E3FBB6A-98E7-477B-A3B3-9E769FC0BE31_zpsdefokcsh.jpg

New master cylinders, clutch system and brakes are 100% new

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/stockredej1/FJ40/94BB8F62-1E23-4BA7-A2F5-4F273E461680_zpsvihge0zg.jpg

Just need to run the fuel lines and fix the wiring mess and we should be good to go!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/stockredej1/FJ40/1978BEAD-AF50-4513-97E4-DA786C0C90C6_zpsrzyhoxmb.jpg
View Quote

Excellent update. Nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment when progress is made on an old truck.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I've wanted an FJ40 since I was a kid, and saw this movie on sunday afternoon TV

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:31:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbaird] [#27]
ITS ALIVE!!

Got it started and ran it for 20 minutes at varying RPM to break in the cam. Made some awful noises and after breaking it in we pulled the valve covers to find i had adjust the rockers incorrectly. One of the pushrods decided to punch a hole through a rocker arm and they are one piece now. I need to keep it as art work or something haha.

I had bought a oil pump tool from summit that let us build oil pressure before starting and it worked perfectly.

Pushrod and Rocker become one

Luckily since its a 350 all it took to fix was $7 and a trip to a local autoparts store.

Quick video of it idling.

Tomorrow we will get this drivetrain all filled with fluid and try driving it around the block!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Working on cleaning wiring up now, The factory harness that goes to the back of the truck has been cut out by the previous owner so we are replacing that now. Also started cleaning up the front bumper parts that came with it.

I think its a factory bumper with an aftermarket bolt on brush guard. Going to sand blast it and coat it black.

Soon!!

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Working on cleaning wiring up now, The factory harness that goes to the back of the truck has been cut out by the previous owner so we are replacing that now. Also started cleaning up the front bumper parts that came with it.

I think its a factory bumper with an aftermarket bolt on brush guard. Going to sand blast it and coat it black.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/stockredej1/FJ40/19CF4AF9-4CD0-4D26-BDD2-1C1CE509E769_zps0cnhekgk.jpg

Soon!!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/stockredej1/FJ40/41C580F0-A70B-411C-BAE0-57C01E239204_zpsih8qk1yp.jpg
View Quote

Coming along nicely.  Keep updates coming man.  Great work.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#30]
ITS ALIVE!

Bad ass man!
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Got the top, hood and doors back on yesterday. Also got a fan control switch to operate the electric fan. Hopefully this weekend we can get all the wiring finalized.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#32]

cool as hell

i want one too

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#33]
More progress, mostly cosmetic.

The rear doors were missing a hinge but i had 2 of the older style hinges in the piles of crap that came with the truck so my dad was able to modify one to fit. Ugly but functional. It got sprayed black with some tough coat krylon.

Ambulance doors on!

No truck is complete without a Yeti sticker. Oh and a goat.

Rear jump seats installed.

And bumper is all mounted to. Need to find some cheesy offroad lights for it i think.

The final parts i need to get it driving have been ordered and will hopefully be here next week!
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Its looking great!  Are you going to be fixing the rust at the bottom of the tub?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Remman:
Its looking great!  Are you going to be fixing the rust at the bottom of the tub?
View Quote

Thanks! Yes eventually that will all get patched up. After its on the road my plan is to start in one spot and work my way through the rest of the truck making it less drafty.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Keep up the great work!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#37]
What's up with the green goat sticker?  Haven't seen that one.

After seeing what my fj did on the trails in Moab this week,  I'm thinking about getting a "Nanny Goat" decal made for her.

Absolutely shocked at the capability of the fj.  Would love to find an old 40 to go with it.

Keep the updates coming man.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#38]
What's up with the green goat sticker?  Haven't seen that one.

After seeing what my fj did on the trails in Moab this week,  I'm thinking about getting a "Nanny Goat" decal made for her.

Absolutely shocked at the capability of the fj.  Would love to find an old 40 to go with it.

Keep the updates coming man.
View Quote

The goat is for the company i work for. Backcountry.com If youd like some we send them out by filling out this form, I think they are mainly white now, we do random runs of different colors.

http://www.backcountry.com/Store/global/stickerRequest.jsp

Im hoping to take my 40 to Moab one day. Im working on some of the body stuff today. Trying to see what i can do about the huge holes in the tub. Il try to get some pics up today of what gets done.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Updates!

Got my new passenger side door handle on.

And we decided that we needed to do something with the giant holes in the body. Eventually I will be going through the tub and patching everything but thats a while away so for now we will band aid the problem.

The problem

The band aid. These were in the pile of parts that came with the truck. Had to do a little trimming to match up to the cuts on the rear wheel wells and then coated them in bed liner.

Decided the rear quarter panels would look best also being black for now.

First coat.

Then riveted the panels on and put on another coat of bed liner.

Tire carrier back on.

Also got some weather stripping for the rear ambulance doors. Had my helpers stare at me the whole time trying to install it. They seem to like it in there.

Also found this little flag in my safe so i decided to stick it on the dash. Merica!

Thats it for now. The speedometer parts came in the mail yesterday so thats what il try to get done next. Then test drive time!

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Very nice

My buddy has spent nearly the past 2 years doing a frame off resto on his '78.  Still a long ways to go (his was A LOT more "hole-y" than yours).  I'll try to snap a pic tomorrow while I'm over there...
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Very nice.  Looks like it's coming together nicely.  Almost road worthy lol. Can't wait for next update.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:44:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#42]

View Quote

A buddy of mine had one sitting behind his dad's house in complete seclusion. Red hardbody /w white top, his dad used to use it for SAR in the Cascade mtns.. It sat behind the house the whole time I knew him, and the body/'interior was in decent enough shape, it was shielded from the weather by the house.. I assume it would have run with some TLC.

A few years after high school, I had a decent job and was starting to save some money. I thought about that FJ40 a few times, and finally ran into my old friend. After chatting for a bit I asked if his dad might be interested in selling that FJ40 still sitting behind their house.

I learned that his dad had a fire in the basement not long before I ran into him. FD came, and one of the firefighters saw the FJ40 behind the house. He came back a couple weeks later and trailered it off for some stupid low price like $2000. This was in the late 2000s mind you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:46:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbaird] [#43]
It drives!! Drive it around the block and so far everything's working like it should. You can see in the video the taillights aren't done but we are close.

Added the most important part, The bottle opener!

My kids got involved as well, They built me a new glove box tether.

We are converting the rear taillights to LED so i don't get rear ended but someone not seeing the dull factory lights. We had to convert the flasher to a LED compatible one and then we welded these light boxes on the rear. We are waiting for our taillights to come in the mail. So far im liking them a lot.

Corner lights popped in and boxes bedlinered.

Need to work on getting plates for it and insurance!
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Motor 99% done. Need some minor things

And LED taillights in. So far im very happy how they have turned out.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Awesome progress.  Now sell it to me lol.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Looking good! Fun thread to read and follow. I'm in the early stages of restoring my 64 IH Scout 80. Second owner. Cali vehicle. No rust and pretty dam straight.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#47]
This thread wins and I want to see moar pics!
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks! I love how its turned out so far.

The rear door latch had seen better days. it was very sloppy and barely worked. We pulled it apart and welded the back of the rivet in place. Works fine now and the price was right.

After this i moved the 40 back to my house. Drives good, needs an alignment and some minor leaks fixed. Now im waiting for funds to register and insure it. Then il start driving it more. I never realized how big this thing was til it was parked next to the expedition.

Have it sitting outside with all the vents and windows open today to try and air out the stale smell inside from sitting for so long.

My truck has a cargo tray from specter off road that came with it, it looks perfect for mounting a rifle. Trying to come up with mount ideas now. Should fit nicely up there and not be too noticeable.

Thats with a suppressed 10.5" SBR. Should fit a standard AR as well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Back on the road!  Good job man.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd get a spare tire for that spare wheel before driving it too much. Those retreads don't have the best reputation for reliability.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top