Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2016 9:46:34 PM EDT
The transmission on my 2001 Dodge Stratus 231,000 went out today. I'm conflicted as to whether I should put a new trans in or sell it to the scrap yard.
The car has been great. It also has new front suspension components, rear struts were done last year, tires are halfway, burns about a quart of oil a month but isn't driven too much anymore (kid's car for school), paint is trashed but little to no rust, won't need a timing belt for another 55k, interior looks great.
My first thought is why dump 2k into an old car. But I know what's wrong with THIS old car and I've taken good care of it. I can get something for about 5k but it'll most likely have high mileage >150k and problems of it's own.
231k is high for an engine I guess but it could last a month or years.
Any advice or wisdom?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same car and ran it until 180k then sold it. I'd dump the money into it, it sounds like you have taken very good care of it. I felt like that engine was never going to die.

I found I was burning about the same amount of oil, except I was burning it I had a bad oil pan gasket. It was very easy to change.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#2]
$2K is a lot cheaper than car payments for the next 4 to 6 years

You ever change the transmission fluid?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$2K is a lot cheaper than car payments for the next 4 to 6 years

You ever change the transmission fluid?
View Quote

Yup. Dropped the pan and changed the filter. Fluid looks like new.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
well you could either get someone else's problems or you can get a gem

really luck of the draw
I mean if you junk it you forget the headache but at the same time like i said what if you buy someone else's problem for 5 grand? Then you will be kicking yourself for letting it go. tough situation imo

unless you are gonna buy a new car
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Smart answer?  A solid NO.  WHy? because that is a $2000 car tops.

Take that $2000 and the $500 for the stratus, throw in another grand or two and buy 70-120k miles 10 year old car
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Sell and buy another used car
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sell and buy another used car
View Quote

This.   I wouldn't throw any more money at a Stratus.   I'd be looking for a used Accord or Camry.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#8]
here is my thoughts on the subject:
don't ever put more money into a car than it's worth.  

insurance companies won't do it so why should you? this is how they come up with number that will "total" a vehicle

here is what any bank/insurance agency will use to value the car
nada

to me, it's totaled and would take a lot of miles to get your money back from a trans replacement.
and if it gets t-boned the day after replacing the trans, you be lucky to break even.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah just sell and save the headache. Things will just keep on breaking down
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Dodge auto trans went out ?
?
 Send it to the crusher.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not dumping $2k into a dodge car at 231000 miles.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Give it a burial wonder it lasted that long.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#13]
If you can find a $500 salvage trans and do a DIY install I'd say keep the car.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd slap a new tranny in it and see how much more mileage you can squeeze out of it.   Beats the hell out of car payments OR buy a cheap car with a big unknown attached to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top