Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2016 10:33:44 PM EDT
Anyone have or have driven one of the Nissan Titans with the Cummins V8 Turbo Diesel? Starting to look for my next truck and drove a Ram 2500 with a Cummins for 13 years before I got my current Ram 1500.

Dont think I have seen any on the road etc just looking for impressions.

J-

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Give it a year

I've seen a few and drove one. There's a few minor bugs to work out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't know anyone but Dodge was using Cummins.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:00:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Give it a year

I've seen a few and drove one. There's a few minor bugs to work out.
View Quote

How was the truck its self? Never even been in a Nissan before. Hows the ride etc?

J-
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Ride was good. Prices are 50-55k

I had a regular titan a few years ago it was one of my favorite vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a buddy that is an engineer down in Columbus.

He isn't a fan of the trucks. Says the transmission behind the Cummins is far underrated for it and the engine itself is a solid meh.

Give it a year or two.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#6]
cool thanks for the input guys.

J-
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Per the Cummins tech that works in the fleet shop I work at... "ISVs (the family that the Titan engine is) are garbage, dont ever even think of buying one"
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Odd, since the Titan is the 1st major use of the ISV.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#9]
From what he was saying in the classes he has gone to they are already predicting failures, he didnt elaborate any on it, just said to steer well clear of them. There is also a v6 that is supposed to be going into the Frontier. Also for what its worth the ISV engines were supposed to be going into Dodges, but now that Fiat owns them they are getting Italian built diesels from a Fiat subsidiary. I dont know when the B series will now longer be run by Dodge but I bet its coming...
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]
No V6 Cummins engine is going to be produced. They cut that program in 2008 when Dodge decided not to buy the engines.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
From what he was saying in the classes he has gone to they are already predicting failures, he didnt elaborate any on it, just said to steer well clear of them. There is also a v6 that is supposed to be going into the Frontier. Also for what its worth the ISV engines were supposed to be going into Dodges, but now that Fiat owns them they are getting Italian built diesels from a Fiat subsidiary. I dont know when the B series will now longer be run by Dodge but I bet its coming...
View Quote

I'll take that bet.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I was told there have already been some lemon law buy backs on the engine. That motor was made for Ram but FBHO gave Chrysler to Tony and Tony already
had a 3.0 diesel
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#13]
The trucks are decent , Not sure about the engines
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#14]
TFL truck did a review of the XD with both engines and the gas actually had higher towing rating and IIRC had roughly the same fuel economy when towing, and was a hell of a lot faster 0-60 mph. I really didn't see the appeal of paying 8k more for a shitty Diesel engine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No V6 Cummins engine is going to be produced. They cut that program in 2008 when Dodge decided not to buy the engines.
View Quote

There is a 3 something liter V6 ISV that is supposed to find its way into the Frontier. I dont know if its the exact same engine that was slated for the 1500 Rams, but its coming.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
TFL truck did a review of the XD with both engines and the gas actually had higher towing rating and IIRC had roughly the same fuel economy when towing, and was a hell of a lot faster 0-60 mph. I really didn't see the appeal of paying 8k more for a shitty Diesel engine.
View Quote

I watched it.  I was shocked.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Another sales disaster from Nissan in the full size dept. They meet to concentrate on cars and get out of the truck game.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Imo, they should stop trying to beat Toyota to the punch and focus on producing a better truck. There's a reason Toyota takes their time getting vehicles to market...
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There is a 3 something liter V6 ISV that is supposed to find its way into the Frontier. I dont know if its the exact same engine that was slated for the 1500 Rams, but its coming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not aware of a 3ish liter ISV V6. You might be thinking of some of the other inline 4 cylinder products that Cummins makes.

Something such as this?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a6981/cummins-two-point-eight-is-rad/
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Imo, they should stop trying to beat Toyota to the punch and focus on producing a better truck. There's a reason Toyota takes their time getting vehicles to market...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another sales disaster from Nissan in the full size dept. They meet to concentrate on cars and get out of the truck game.

And even with all that time, Toyota is having problems with the Tacoma.  I have a '16 and while its a nice truck, there are some transmission issues and lack of power.  Pretty well known on the tacoma forums....surprised that this is the best they could do.  There is a TSB out for the trans stuff, haven't had time to get it done yet but there is nothing that can be done about the power.  I get that CAFE puts a damper on power output but Toyota locks their stuff down so it can't be tuned like the GM stuff.

Lots of Tacoma owners are interested in the Ranger when it makes its appearance and some have already jumped ship to the 4runner.

As far as the Titan, i went to look at it but the sales guy said that they didn't have a diesel tech yet and alluded to some issues so I passed.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am not aware of a 3ish liter ISV V6. You might be thinking of some of the other inline 4 cylinder products that Cummins makes.

Something such as this?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something such as this?

Nope was told by our in house Cummins tech that there was supposed to be a V6 that Nissan is working with, similar if not the same as the V6 that Dodoge was supposed to run.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And even with all that time, Toyota is having problems with the Tacoma.  I have a '16 and while its a nice truck, there are some transmission issues and lack of power.  Pretty well known on the tacoma forums....surprised that this is the best they could do.  There is a TSB out for the trans stuff, haven't had time to get it done yet but there is nothing that can be done about the power.  I get that CAFE puts a damper on power output but Toyota locks their stuff down so it can't be tuned like the GM stuff.

Lots of Tacoma owners are interested in the Ranger when it makes its appearance and some have already jumped ship to the 4runner.

As far as the Titan, i went to look at it but the sales guy said that they didn't have a diesel tech yet and alluded to some issues so I passed.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to be a smartass, but if power was a concern you should've bought something besides a Tacoma.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Another sales disaster from Nissan in the full size dept. They need to concentrate on cars and get out of the truck game.

View Quote

They make a solid truck with the Frontier.

Then there's this project truck from 2014
http://www.nissanusa.com/future-and-concept-vehicles/frontier-diesel-runner
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The Frontier hasn't had a major update or revision in over a decade. It's like they gave up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another sales disaster from Nissan in the full size dept. They need to concentrate on cars and get out of the truck game.

They make a solid truck with the Frontier.

Then there's this project truck from 2014
http://www.nissanusa.com/future-and-concept-vehicles/frontier-diesel-runner

The Frontier hasn't had a major update or revision in over a decade. It's like they gave up.

If it ain't broke don't mess with it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#26]
The engine itself has been out for a few years in industrial form. Different turbo set up.

Nissan dealers are getting their asses handed to them because the dealers have programmed their customers that they will give them stuff to keep them happy.

Diesel world is a whole other Galaxy. Heard reports of dealers already having trucks come in with DEF fluid in the main fuel system wiping out the entire system. $14k in repairs.

"What do you mean that's not warranty?!"
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The engine itself has been out for a few years in industrial form. Different turbo set up.

Nissan dealers are getting their asses handed to them because the dealers have programmed their customers that they will give them stuff to keep them happy.

Diesel world is a whole other Galaxy. Heard reports of dealers already having trucks come in with DEF fluid in the main fuel system wiping out the entire system. $14k in repairs.

View Quote

So much this!

If you aren't straight up pulling more weight than a gasser can handle modern diesel ownership makes no financial sense WHATSOEVER

And if you are buying a not quite 3/4 ton Nissan you don't fall into that category
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Other than putting DEF in the fuel tank I don't see this happening. The two systems Aren't tied together.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Other than putting DEF in the fuel tank I don't see this happening. The two systems Aren't tied together.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes that's how it happens. How else would it happen?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So much this!

If you aren't straight up pulling more weight than a gasser can handle modern diesel ownership makes no financial sense WHATSOEVER

And if you are buying a not quite 3/4 ton Nissan you don't fall into that category
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much this!

I predict that this marriage between Nissan/Cummins will be short lived.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much this!

I always kinda figured this engine was targeted toward the NV commercial vans that are selling so well.

But perhaps Nissan is playing smart and letting the private sector do the beta testing. Pissing off a bunch of Bros is a lot more recoverable than pissing off the business sector. It's not a far fetched scenario, remember how Nissan started out as Datsun just in case?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I always kinda figured this engine was targeted toward the NV commercial vans that are selling so well.

But perhaps Nissan is playing smart and letting the private sector do the beta testing. Pissing off a bunch of Bros is a lot more recoverable than pissing off the business sector. It's not a far fetched scenario, remember how Nissan started out as Datsun just in case?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much this!

I'm in a couple Nissan dealers every week. I hear all the time about writers/managers giving away work under warranty that should be customer pay.

If (when) they do the same thing on Cummins engines, they will shit a brick when Cummins kicks back thousands of dollars in parts because they are not factory defects. It will be a fast and painful learning lesson for dealerships. One dealer fired a writer because they were bombed on a customer survey. The customer came in complaining that the a/c would not work. Snow was on the ground. The reason didn't matter to the dealer owner, writer still got a bad survey so they were fired.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a 2011 Titan and imo, it was the best truck for the money at the time with regards to features vs cost. It has been amazing for the years I've had it.

Out of curiosity. I drove the new cummins XD about 6 months ago. The fit and finish seemed nice and the motor seemed ok but I'm not jumping on the bandwagon yet. I think the diesel option is too sluggish and underpowered and there have been a lot of people having issues. If I do wind up getting an XD for my next truck it will probably be the gasser. Due to its similar specs but more proven design and cheaper maintenance costs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not a problem with the truck or the engine. That's a bad case of dumbass.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's not a problem with the truck or the engine. That's a bad case of dumbass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read his post again, that's exactly what he's saying... On a gasoline car it's tough to do anything yourself that causes a lot of damage, so he said that the dealers have been accustomed to comping a lot of small repairs that aren't otherwise covered under warranty. Now with a diesel engine we have the possibility of people completely wrecking their fuel system if they put DEF in the fuel tank, and when the dealer politely refuses to help out with that, the customers are going to start throwing shit-fits.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#36]
^-yes

Nissan owners (around here anyway) are use to throwing fits and getting non warranty stuff covered or dealer just go ahead and cover it because if they don't, when the customer gets a CSI survey in the mail (even customer pays gets a survey) the customer will give the dealership a bad survey. So the dealer essentially buys a good survey by warranting stuff that shouldn't be covered.

They won't be able to do that with Cummins involved.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just buy an F-250.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Have a 2008 Titan.....love it.  Will look at the XD with the gas engine when they hit the lot.  Local dealer is doing 11k off MSRP on the Cummins.  Wonder what they will do for the gas.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have been very happy with more than one generation of their smaller pickups.

It would be nice if they took the effort they put into the diesel Titan and focused it on making sure the diesel Frontier doesn't suck.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Just buy an F-250.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just buy an F-250.

Jesus. Anything over $50k spend the money and get a mid-level trim F250 with 6.7. Not some pseudo 5/8's ton.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Jesus. Anything over $50k spend the money and get a mid-level trim F250 with 6.7. Not some pseudo 5/8's ton.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just buy an F-250.

Do you feel the same way about the F-150?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:12:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

That sounds like a problem with Nissan customers, right?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:14:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
One dealer fired a writer because they were bombed on a customer survey. The customer came in complaining that the a/c would not work. Snow was on the ground. The reason didn't matter to the dealer owner, writer still got a bad survey so they were fired.
View Quote

Great.  More turnover is just what dealerships need.  I finally gave up at the GM dealership where I bought my truck and am going to a different one.  The service writer crew was always a different set of schmucks not generally knowing what they were talking about and slipping BS in if you didn't watch them like a hawk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top