Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
r32 gtst/gtr
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Any old Alfa. Can't be a true petrol head until you've owned one. And they will fit your unreliable/pain in the ass to work on criteria.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any old Alfa. Can't be a true petrol head until you've owned one. And they will fit your unreliable/pain in the ass to work on criteria.
View Quote

I've owned several Fiats, Lancias and Alfas. When I was in my late teens & early 20s I would buy, repair, and sell them. Mostly Spyders, Zagatos, and X1/9s.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The only thing I can think of that would fit your bill of sport, 25+ years, and 2+2 is a 1984-1987 BMW E24 M6.  

If you want something that's just different, and you don't want a standard land rover or defender, you could get a classic 80s Ranger Rover cabrio.  I wouldn't want one, but they were definitely different.

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
NSX, 850ci or cic, E34 M5....

What year is the Turbo R?  I'd like more pics!
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
NSX, 850ci or cic, E34 M5....

What year is the Turbo R?  I'd like more pics!
View Quote

'91

What sort of pics do you want?

I'll likely have to take them. I haven't ever taken a lot of pics of my cars, except when t cam time to sell them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A good number of the cars suggested would fall under the category of "I'd buy one of those if the deal was right."

I have the disadvantage, for a car collector, of being a current city dweller. This brings many problems:

Space - I could go use storage and seldom get to enjoy my cars. I could go the ranch route, and seldom get to see my cars. I could build a large garage at my residence, ignoring the actual cost of construction, the increase in my annual property tax bill would buy many of the cars suggested.

Safety - I have an elbow dent in my Ferrari from some moron posing for a picture. There are a good number of pan handlers in the city, kit cars without side windows are completely out. I took the Ferrari out for an end of spring drive (the last hurrah before it gets parked for the summer) and had to deal with threats of violence from a jealous driver at a stop light.

Noise - I live in a quiet and somewhat insulated neighborhood. I don't know of anyone with a vehicle, right now, with "loud pipes." That include motorcycles.

When I "move out to the country" most of these won't be problems anymore. My celebratory car will be a Ford engined Cobra kit followed closely by a GM powered something with side pipes.

ETA: I have friends with modern Lamborghinis and Aston Martins that won't/can't drive them because they are due or overdue for huge maintenance. Cost of ownership is a real concern, ever for those who "can afford it." It was possible to renew registration on a car in Texas without getting an inspection. You would see a lot of exotics in the wild with expired inspection stickers. The dreaded Check Engine Light keeping them away from the inspector. Now it's no inspection, no registration.
View Quote

You got threats from jealous drivers?

Holy hell.  The only thing I've ever done is say "nice car."  

Then again, I don't get jealous of other people's success, I like successful people.  We need MORE of them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#8]
DeLorean
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:06:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
(snip for brevity)

Then again, I don't get jealous of other people's success, I like successful people.  We need MORE of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
(snip for brevity)

To quote the last one, yelling over 2 lanes of traffic after getting my attention, "You don't know me. You don't know nothin' 'bout me. If you didn't have your baby with you (I had my kid in the car) I'd show you something." While he is reaching inside like he has a shoulder rig... Fun times.

I like to see good cars in the wild, getting driven. When I was a kid it made them real... tangible... attainable. So, I drive mine. I get way more "nice cars" but, it's not worth the risk.

Quoted:
DeLorean

I had a cousin who owned one back in the day. He was/is a dimwit. he has forever ruined that car for me..

I saw an 80s Corvette GTO (C4) recently. It made me smile. It's been added to the shopping list.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:51:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Porsche 356

The favorite of my collection is a RR Silver Wraith II

In Texas can you get a mechanical variance for the inspection? In Washington if the vehicle is being repaired you just sign a piece of paper and no inspection needed
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 3:02:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Porsche 356

The favorite of my collection is a RR Silver Wraith II

In Texas can you get a mechanical variance for the inspection? In Washington if the vehicle is being repaired you just sign a piece of paper and no inspection needed
View Quote

No carbs.

I like 356s. I have a '69 VW Baja sitting in storage I bought it as a practical trainer for a 356. So much shared DNA... I'll be selling it soon. Cars have to be driven to be kept running well. Carb cars a little more often. EFI provides a little less burden of ownership. If I only wanted one fun car I would likely have a 356.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]
CLK63 AMG Black Series (even though it's not that old).

RX-7

BMW 2002

Impreza RS 2.5 converted to STi JDM offering

BMW 850CSi

Nissan 300Z TT

Audi Quattro Coupe or the likes

Subaru SVX

'88 Saleen Mustang

'93 Mustang Cobra

MB SL600 V12 R129

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#13]
How about a Ferrari 400 or 412?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top