Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2016 12:00:50 PM EDT
AC in my Tahoe is blowing cool, but not cold, even on the coldest and highest setting. It is definitely cooling, but seems to be around 50% of normal. Checked the freon and it's fully charged (but not overcharged) . The one AC line is freezing cold and the other is warm, the clutch is moving fine, and it's draining like normal. It's not a blower mix door actuator, as the air is the same from all of the vents. I can't figure out what the issue might be, and don't have time to go to the dealership. What's going on with my AC?!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
you mention mix door, but there are 2 doors.
diverter that changes floor to dash to defrost and then blend doors that let in hot air to mix.

is it better when the the engine is cold? if so then the blend door might be the issue.
either the actuator or vacuum to it might be causing a problem.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
What year? Auto or just manual A/C?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Heater control valve might be "open" circulating hot engine coolant through the core....
Need to put a set of gauges on the high & low pressure ports; ambient air temp, humidity chart against the pressures.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#4]
could be a lot of things like blend door, recirculation not working or most likely just a little low on Freon, you say its fully charged did you determine that by evacuating it and weighing the Freon in the system, or are you just using gauge readings and temperatures.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Boss had the same issue with his Tahoe. It was a blend door that lets heat into the system. Actuator had gone out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Boss had the same issue with his Tahoe. It was a blend door that lets heat into the system. Actuator had gone out.
View Quote

Common problem with GM vehicles.

-Deke
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Buddy at the gym looked at it last night and also said it was probably the blend door actuator. I've googled and can't seem to figure out which of the three actuators it is, as there are apparently three of them up front.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buddy at the gym looked at it last night and also said it was probably the blend door actuator. I've googled and can't seem to figure out which of the three actuators it is, as there are apparently three of them up front.
View Quote

you can test it as I said above.
if the engine is cold and your a/c seems to be blowing like normal, or if you clamp off a heater hose and it gets colder, then it is a blend door.

as asked for above, year and type of ac would help to give you better answers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Had same issue recently on another GM product. Recirculation actuator.  When i pulled the actuator out and moved the door manually, i got freezing cold air. Rockauto was $18, autozone for same Dorman brand replacement was $36.  Since i was already ordering brake parts and had a 5% discount code shipping was almost free....
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

if the engine is cold and your a/c seems to be blowing like normal, or if you clamp off a heater hose and it gets colder, then it is a blend door.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The blend door actuator is the one i was talking about.  Its the same part as one of the other two most likely as GM uses similar setups in the tahoe as in my car.  Should be on the passenger side, remove or release glove box so that it hinges all the way out and it should be to thr left of glove box.  Helps if you get a pic online first to help ID it.  If its already warm where you're at remove it and manually turn the shaft to rotate the door, leaving on recirculating air.  We almost never use the outside/exchange air here since we get 10 months of summer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top