Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2016 12:36:01 PM EDT
I have 2 diesels, a 93 Ford f250 with idi na 7.3 and an older allis Chalmers, I think around mid '80s model, I think engine may be a Fiat, that's what the key say on it. Anyways, I admit I've grossly neglected the cooling systems on both. I don't even know how to check the SCA levels, so I want to just change the coolant and get a routine of changing it every year or so. So I know with gas engines there are numerous types of coolant now, is it like that with diesels? I saw some prediluted Rotella ELC (extended life coolant) at Wal Mart. Is that good to go in both of my rigs?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If changing yearly just get whatever is cheapest and set up for temperatures in your area. Most anything will be fine. I'm sure they've reformulated by now but some extended life coolants will eat o-rings and gaskets. Someone will be along shortly with more knowledge than me but the cheap stuff will be fine.

Do either engines have a SCA "filter"?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The Autoguard/Peak we carry at work exceeds the Ford ESE-M97B-44-A spec, but they still recommend adding an SCA for "heavy duty" applications.

If you're gonna change it every year, run whatever you want.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]
What we use at work (aviation ground support equipment shop) for older Diesel engines (Onan/Cummins, GM, Detroit, Perkins, Hercules, etc) is Zerex p/n ZXPCRU1, it's a pre-diluted, pre-charged, low silicate formulation. Sometimes it's red, sometimes it's green, but the colors don't matter, test strips indicate it's -34F & fully charged with DCA.

As far as checking DCA levels, just grab a couple test strips once a year and see what they say. They have an expiration date so don't just buy a whole bottle of them. Use Wix 24056/NAPA 4056 to service DCA when needed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't use ELC in anything older than a 1999.5 year Powerstroke diesel.

I believe you want the regular Green coolant.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Go green! even the libtards will like you
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#6]
So you guys are saying just regular antifreeze not any special diesel antifreeze?
What is the reason for not using extended life? I mean I read the bottle of rotella elc  and it said it was for all diesels.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Pre 1999.5 ford diesels weren't meant to use ELC. Another poster mentioned seal damage I believe.

There are a few really knowledgeable Ford guys on here, PM me and I'll send you their usernames.

If not I always get great info from thedieselstop.com and other ford forums.

I doubt your other engine would use ELC either...
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you guys are saying just regular antifreeze not any special diesel antifreeze?
What is the reason for not using extended life? I mean I read the bottle of rotella elc  and it said it was for all diesels.
View Quote

because, monies..

I ran green shit in diesels for ...well.... ever.

The mech would ask me......high dollar red/ornage or green....flush the hell out of it and put in green.......

Now way it is that much better...at twice the price.

Dont mix em, that shit takes 5 times longer to flush....

By the way....think about the fact they will flush the coolant system with Cascade when an oil cooler ruptures....but red/green will  hurt the seals.....LMAO
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I just changed over from green to pink Fleetguard which I think is extended life with DCA already added, in my '89 7.3

Just sticking with green and adding DCA would have been much easier.  I was intent to remove all of the old green and that took a few flushes with distilled water and pulling the block plugs each time.  Not worth it, or maybe it is because I don't plan on changing ever again.

What seals does the new stuff attack in older engines?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#10]
We converted everything where I used to work to shell extended life. Expensive but less radiator issues and less water pump failures.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top