Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2016 11:30:45 AM EDT
Hypothetically speaking, if you bought a vette that had like 90k miles and then used it to commute, you think you could get 200-300k miles out of the car?

I'd imagine you would have to replace wear items, but would the car stay together or would it fall apart like a older dodge?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#1]
How much is this 90k mile C6 and what year is it?  This is important from a financial standpoint

I'm going to break down what needs to be done as soon as you purchase it vs ongoing ok?

NOW
1. change all fluids and I mean everything oil, trans, rear axle, brake, power steering (if it's not electric), coolant
2. change shocks/struts
3. change plugs and wires
4. change serp belt
5. run GM top engine cleaner through it  (this is a GM only item, get it through dealer or amazon)
6. clean MAF with MAF spray
7. replace air filter
8. probably replace tires

Onging
1. change fluids regularly using Mobil1
2. put tires on it every 15-20k - get an expensive good tire
3. just keep an ear open all the time to listen for stuff on it's way out and keep an eye on fluid levels monthly

A C6 is an AMAZING highway car.  I get insane MPG in mine for those who care about MPG (I do not).  I like to be able to out maneuver and out perform everyone else around who's too busy to be bothered with driving as they fly down the highway at 60-70mph.  200k miles? no problem if you do the above and the guy who owned it before did the above too.  There's a ton of C5 LS1 vettes with well north of 150k on them doing just fine.

It all comes down to how well the car was maintained for those 90K, how well you plan to maintain it if you want to see 200k in any car.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
My mom gets 25+  MPG
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much is this 90k mile C6 and what year is it?  This is important from a financial standpoint

I'm going to break down what needs to be done as soon as you purchase it vs ongoing ok?

NOW
1. change all fluids and I mean everything oil, trans, rear axle, brake, power steering (if it's not electric), coolant
2. change shocks/struts
3. change plugs and wires
4. change serp belt
5. run GM top engine cleaner through it  (this is a GM only item, get it through dealer or amazon)
6. clean MAF with MAF spray
7. replace air filter
8. probably replace tires

Onging
1. change fluids regularly using Mobil1
2. put tires on it every 15-20k - get an expensive good tire
3. just keep an ear open all the time to listen for stuff on it's way out and keep an eye on fluid levels monthly

A C6 is an AMAZING highway car.  I get insane MPG in mine for those who care about MPG (I do not).  I like to be able to out maneuver and out perform everyone else around who's too busy to be bothered with driving as they fly down the highway at 60-70mph.  200k miles? no problem if you do the above and the guy who owned it before did the above too.  There's a ton of C5 LS1 vettes with well north of 150k on them doing just fine.

It all comes down to how well the car was maintained for those 90K, how well you plan to maintain it if you want to see 200k in any car.
View Quote

that's not a horrible lists of things to knock out, especially if you have a lift at home. seems like parts are cheap too. I heard the electrical on the C6's were way better than the C5. I did ride in a C6 and the ride was much more comfortable than my truck
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The first post covers it . Does it have any service history ? Has it been modified in any way or show signs of abuse ?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The first post covers it . Does it have any service history ? Has it been modified in any way or show signs of abuse ?
View Quote

Thanks, how are the 06+ trans? Pretty solid I'd imagine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 6AT is GTG.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The 6AT is GTG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 6AT is GTG.

Good to know.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good to know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 6AT is GTG.

Good to know.

What year and how much is this C6?  Reason I ask if prices are all over the board and I'd hate to see you pay the same amount for a 90k car as you would for one with 1/2 that mileage.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What year and how much is this C6?  Reason I ask if prices are all over the board and I'd hate to see you pay the same amount for a 90k car as you would for one with 1/2 that mileage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 6AT is GTG.

Good to know.

I am just looking right now, but 2006+ coupe with the 6L80e and auto trader has then from $17k-19k around to a little under 100k miles. I really want to buy one for $15k, original no mods.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Slight thread jack but what is the best corvette forum? I rented a stingray convertible in Florida and all of my previous corvette opinions have been upended. Especially since the odds of mazdaspeed miata look slim.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I frequent Corvetteforum the most. Seems to be the most active.

LS1tech is another good resource for engine related stuff as you get inputs from camaro, gto and g8 guys as well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am just looking right now, but 2006+ coupe with the 6L80e and auto trader has then from $17k-19k around to a little under 100k miles. I really want to buy one for $15k, original no mods.
View Quote

See that's what I talking about.  For upper teens to low low 20's you can get a 02-04 Z06 with under 20,000 miles (yes 20k) which is regarded by the majority of Corvette owners to be the better car when compared to the LS2 powered C6.

Honestly a 90k miles C6 that's around $20,000 is a terrible buy.

Let me save you a shit load of time and a lot of wasted money and bad ownership experience.

If you want to spend under 20, buy a 02-04 C5 with under 40k miles.
If you want to spend right around 20, buy a 02-04 Z06 with under 40k miles  
If you just spend a little bit more at like 23-25 you can get a 05-07 with under 40k miles

1. DO NOT BUY THEM FROM DEALERS unless....... it is a Corvette specialty dealer meaning they sell a shit ton of corvettes and having a turd on their lot would do their image harm.
2. You WILL HAVE TO TRAVEL within a 500 mile radius potentially more to find the right car.  They don't build a lot of Corvettes and if you want to get the shittiest deal possible you buy one locally (unless you live in Florida)
3. I highly encourage you to buy one in a manual transmission.  Automatic cars bring more money (strangely)

As mentioned above get on www.corvetteforum.com is the arf.com for corvettes.  There are AMAZING deals on C5 Z06s and LS2 C6s all the time on there.  

Last comment, buy a Corvette that was owned.loved properly and you'll be able to enjoy it without and negative experiences.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#13]
My dad daily drives an 89 C4(?), he bought in 1991.

That car has well over 300K miles on it.

He does all the recommended maintenance on it.

The exterior is still spotless, interior has never been redone and looks it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

See that's what I talking about.  For upper teens to low low 20's you can get a 02-04 Z06 with under 20,000 miles (yes 20k) which is regarded by the majority of Corvette owners to be the better car when compared to the LS2 powered C6.

Let me save you a shit load of time and a lot of wasted money and bad ownership experience.

If you just spend a little bit more at like 23-25 you can get a 05-07 with under 40k miles

1. DO NOT BUY THEM FROM DEALERS unless....... it is a Corvette specialty dealer meaning they sell a shit ton of corvettes and having a turd on their lot would do their image harm.
2. You WILL HAVE TO TRAVEL within a 500 mile radius potentially more to find the right car.  They don't build a lot of Corvettes and if you want to get the shittiest deal possible you buy one locally (unless you live in Florida)
3. I highly encourage you to buy one in a manual transmission.  Automatic cars bring more money (strangely)

As mentioned above get on www.corvetteforum.com is the arf.com for corvettes.  There are AMAZING deals on C5 Z06s and LS2 C6s all the time on there.  

Last comment, buy a Corvette that was owned.loved properly and you'll be able to enjoy it without and negative experiences.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's a lot of good info, thanks. I'm not big into the C5's, so I'll just wait until a C6 comes along under 20k, if it takes 2-3 years no problem. That' interesting what you say about the manuals being cheaper. I am not opposed to the manuals, I can always get the clutch replaced, plus I like the third pedal.

driving out to pick up the car is no problem. I have the truck and the trailer to do so, or I can fly out and get it professionally transported I guess.

I have a vette connection in FL that I need to get in contact with, he always seems to find clean cars for decent money.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My dad daily drives an 89 C4(?), he bought in 1991.

That car has well over 300K miles on it.

He does all the recommended maintenance on it.

The exterior is still spotless, interior has never been redone and looks it.
View Quote

that's impressive, I never drove a C4, I have driven a C3, C5, C6.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a 2008 C6 a couple weeks ago. $27k, just under 40K miles.  Put 1200 highway miles on it in two 600 mile drives. Got exactly 30 MPG. Manual, not auto, however (and LS3, not LS2).

One of the reasons I bought this car (could have spent a little less) was that the previous owner did every service at the dealer he (and I) bought it from, from point of sale to trade in. All of the records were available and he was apparently meticulous about every minor thing.

I really enjoy the car and would make it my daily driver, but it's not really suitable for winter snow or taking my dogs anywhere. But I do expect drive it a lot more than it was driven by the previous owner and will take full advantage of the 2 years of free scheduled maintenance and unlimited oil changes that came with the car from the dealer.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bought a 2008 C6 a couple weeks ago. $27k, just under 40K miles.  Put 1200 highway miles on it in two 600 mile drives. Got exactly 30 MPG. Manual, not auto, however (and LS3, not LS2).

One of the reasons I bought this car (could have spent a little less) was that the previous owner did every service at the dealer he (and I) bought it from, from point of sale to trade in. All of the records were available and he was apparently meticulous about every minor thing.

I really enjoy the car and would make it my daily driver, but it's not really suitable for winter snow or taking my dogs anywhere. But I do expect drive it a lot more than it was driven by the previous owner and will take full advantage of the 2 years of free scheduled maintenance and unlimited oil changes that came with the car from the dealer.

http://www.digitalperf.com/pix/v1.jpg
View Quote

very nice, I am lucky, down here I should be able to drive it every day of the year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top