Posted: 5/1/2016 3:26:30 PM EDT
Convertible
149xxx miles
Body is in great shape
AC compressor is shot !
New top with back glass doesn't leak.
Runs great.

$ 2500

It belongs to a buddy of mine .... I know NOTHING really what to look for in these cars !

Can you ford guys help a brother out !

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#1]
ford pushrod v6 engines are on my default NO FO list.

ETA that goes for anyone's pushrod v6 with the exception of the GM 3.8 and 4.3 and even that depends somewhat
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I would run from a v6 Mustang (and beat it in the quarter mile ) but for $1500 I'd probably buy it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
no fo, the only thing that belongs in pony and muscle cars are V8's.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

While I can't agree with this statement today, it was the truth in 1995.

The only way I'd pay that kind of money for the car you're talking about is if I was dead set on having a convertible, the car was immaculate, and I didn't care about power/mileage/performance.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#5]
No way in hell.

I am a mustang fan but nothing special about an SN95 V6 convertible.

Might as well get a Miata...  you will get a better more fun car.

/owns a 95 Cobra.  /hates miatas
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#6]
MAYBE it it was a stick.  MAYBE. Plus in immaculate shape, in a good looking interior and exterior color.  I don't even LICK standard transmissions, but if it's an auto it is going to blow soon especially if there was no periodic maintenance done.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ford pushrod v6 engines are on my default NO FO list.

ETA that goes for anyone's pushrod v6 with the exception of the GM 3.8 and 4.3 and even that depends somewhat
View Quote

Eh. My first car when I was 16 was a 3.8 V6 Mustang. It was the split port intake used in the 99-04 though. I did cam, full intake, long tube headers/full exhaust, underdrive pulleys, and 4.10 gears with a limited slip diff and it would run with lightly modded GTs of the same year for way less cash. Between a full repaint, wheels/tires and all my mods I think I had $6000 into the car
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The only way I'd pay that kind of money for the car you're talking about is if I was dead set on having a convertible, the car was immaculate, and I didn't care about power/mileage/performance.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm so waiting for 4cyl ecoboost mustangs to get under $10k used
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Not a chance. You could get a clean 94-98 V8 for under $4k. A 94-95 would be better than a 96-98 GT IMO.

Keep looking. There are deals to be had out there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What shape is any convertible that old going to be?
View Quote
Anywhere from perfect with slight wear on the seat and maybe wheel, to a rattling death trap.

The Mustangs from 95 onward for a long time with any amount of care at all hold up well as everything was pretty robust.  I see lots of 95-98 stags locally for sale that are in great condition. I see a lot that are garbage too.

140k,whatever miles on a 21 year old car isn't much at all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Trying to figure out why you would even be interested in that thing......and I'm a Ford guy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I just figured the less rigid frame of a convertible would lead to some serious rattling after that many years, we don't have 95s still on the road in NY
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I just figured the less rigid frame of a convertible would lead to some serious rattling after that many years, we don't have 95s still on the road in NY
As far as frame rigidity, they (the SN95) were really a step above things like the fox body with the convertible rigidity (but still a convertible, no getting around that).  So... could very well?  Excluding weather getting in and rusting stuff out, I feel like it just comes down to how many cycles things have gone through and how extreme. I.E. if the OP's potential stang was just fucking hammered on through corners and speed bumps every weekend, and always on the throttle or off 100% then I'm sure it would be dogged out.  On the flip side, some of the older cars I have that were driven sedately don't make any noise, and if the car was just a cruiser and not hammered on might be holding up just fine.  (My old 93 Explorer sounds like a Conestoga wagon from getting flexed out off road all the time and not built for it).  

ETA- On a lark I looked for 95-98 Mustangs on craigslist in the Seattle area and there's 116, for the next version of the SN95 1999-2004 there's 232.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great minds, and all...  

Waiting on a worthy (read: reliable) replacement for my old Turbo Coupe.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#16]
No fo
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:34:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Trying to figure out why you would even be interested in that thing......and I'm a Ford guy.
View Quote

Hell I don't even know why !  

Just something different to cruise around in ......

I really appreciate all the input & time you took to post on this !  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:49:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Convertible
Body is in great shape
Runs great.

$ 2500
View Quote

For $2500 if it is clean with a fresh top and runs well, it is a no brainer.  I would jump on it.  You can upgrade the drivetrain later.  For now, just enjoy driving around in the sun with the top down..
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

For $2500 if it is clean with a fresh top and runs well, it is a no brainer.  I would jump on it.  You can upgrade the drivetrain later.  For now, just enjoy driving around in the sun with the top down..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Convertible
Body is in great shape
Runs great.

$ 2500

I'd do this but I wouldn't do shit to it.  Just drive it and add GT/Cobra parts to make it look better like some Bullit or Cobra R wheels in the process keeping all of the stock stuff to put back on it when it goes to the junk yard after that 3.8 pops a head gasket.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#20]
No 5.0 why bother. 2500 is a lot of money for a 21 year old v6 mustang.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can understand that.

I have no interest in Ford; much less mustangs, but I'm going this afternoon to look at a '98 Cobra based solely on production numbers. The fact that there were only around 350 made with the same configuration (and even less still on the road), makes it interesting to me and I can look past my GM bias for that.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is still true today, we've got 3 ecoboost's (two 4 cyl's and a 6 cyl) in the family, yeah I get it, turbos and all. But... you'll never get that V8 sound .

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can understand that.

I have no interest in Ford; much less mustangs, but I'm going this afternoon to look at a '98 Cobra based solely on production numbers. The fact that there were only around 350 made with the same configuration (and even less still on the road), makes it interesting to me and I can look past my GM bias for that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can understand that.

Details?  Wondering what combo got on the car for there to be only 350.

There was a group of like 500 "hard top" convertible 95 Cobras.    Not sure what the limited run in 98 would have been.

96 Mystics are pretty rare these days, especially to find without blistered clear coats.

/edit

Looks like production number details are black cars with saddle interior.   Not a huge fan of the saddle.

Just stay away from White fords of the mid 90s to mid 00s.    The damn paint peels from the ecoat eventually.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#24]
The only reason to buy a V6 Mustang is to gut it and turn it into a racecar.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#25]
94 to 05 run away .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top