Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 2:19:09 PM EDT
Time to replace the warped rotors and pads on my 2011 Avalanche LTZ (4WD) with 20" factory wheels.  I replaced wife 2010 Suburban rotors/pads last fall with a kit from Brake Performance, slotted and dimpled, not ceramic pads...and they seemed to have worked out well.  MUCH better performance than the factory crap.  The I just replaced the pads with Autozone regular pads as she was complaining of the BP one's squeaking, but I never heard much.

So before I order parts to do my Avalanche, I'm open to other recommendations for new rotors and pads.  I do mainly highway driving (work from home) to/from airport or regional work trips, weekend around town with the kids, light hauling for DIY projects.  Might rent a trailer and do some camping this summer.  From what I've read the dimpled and slotted is the way to go, good heat and dust dissipation without potential stress fractures with cross drilling.  Ceramic pads?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Time to replace the warped rotors and pads on my 2011 Avalanche LTZ (4WD) with 20" factory wheels.  I replaced wife 2010 Suburban rotors/pads last fall with a kit from Brake Performance, slotted and dimpled, not ceramic pads...and they seemed to have worked out well.  MUCH better performance than the factory crap.  The I just replaced the pads with Autozone regular pads as she was complaining of the BP one's squeaking, but I never heard much.

So before I order parts to do my Avalanche, I'm open to other recommendations for new rotors and pads.  I do mainly highway driving (work from home) to/from airport or regional work trips, weekend around town with the kids, light hauling for DIY projects.  Might rent a trailer and do some camping this summer.  From what I've read the dimpled and slotted is the way to go, good heat and dust dissipation without potential stress fractures with cross drilling.  Ceramic pads?
View Quote

http://akebonobrakes.com/performance
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone tried ceramic on a larger SUV?  The company I used for my wife's Suburban (see above) does not recommend ceramic for trucks and SUV's.  I need to get parts ordered and get this project started.  Here is their comments on their website:

Premium Ceramic Brake Pads are ideal for all domestic and foreign light, medium duty, Cars and SUV's. Ceramic Brake Pads are NOT recommended for Heavy Cars, Trucks or SUV's because they do not have a high temperature fade resistance or friction level. See our comparison chart for application advantages between the different Pads.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe I have ceramics on my Dodge Ram 1500 Federal Mougul ceramics had for about a year. Heavy on the brakes and tow occasionally
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone tried ceramic on a larger SUV?  The company I used for my wife's Suburban (see above) does not recommend ceramic for trucks and SUV's.  I need to get parts ordered and get this project started.  Here is their comments on their website:

Premium Ceramic Brake Pads are ideal for all domestic and foreign light, medium duty, Cars and SUV's. Ceramic Brake Pads are NOT recommended for Heavy Cars, Trucks or SUV's because they do not have a high temperature fade resistance or friction level. See our comparison chart for application advantages between the different Pads.
View Quote

You could always contact akebono and the other companies directly and see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Wagner just came out with some pads for trucks and SUVs that are supposes to be bad ass. Donno about rotors.

Wagner OEx
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wagner just came out with some pads for trucks and SUVs that are supposes to be bad ass. Donno about rotors.

Wagner OEx
View Quote

Those pads are a ceramic base mix, that appear to be a bit softer for a higher friction level. I think the jury is still out on this one.

My money is on carbon metallics for yours. Check out the reviews for Hawk LTS pads at Autoanything.com

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Wagner ThermoQuiet.

Used in a bunch of trucks and SUV's.  Trust me on this one.

http://wagnerbrake.com/products/brake-pads/thermoquiet
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
EBC green/7000 series pads and their dimpled rotors.  Awesome stuff

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top