Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2016 7:52:38 AM EDT
Heard its a bitch to do, is it worth the hassle or pay mechanic?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Year? Engine?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I cannot imagine the day when I pay a mechanic to change spark plugs on a basic engine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are pondering this, then yes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Old in line 6 and the 4 banger are easy!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I did my 4.0 in 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#6]
2012, Wrangler. Drivers side plugs are easy, passenger side is an Indiana Jones trip
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

2012, Wrangler. Drivers side plugs are easy, passenger side is an Indiana Jones trip
View Quote
does it have one of those new fandangled pentastar v-6's?

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. 2012 is the year they became standard in the Wrangler.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a 10 and the only one that looks difficult to get to is the passenger rear.

How many miles do you have on it that makes you think you need to change plugs?

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a 10 and the only one that looks difficult to get to is the passenger rear.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Different engine. Yours has the 3.8.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know this

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#12]
OP

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I know this

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know this

Was just replying about the underlined. What may be easy / hard to reach on one engine, may not be the same on another.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#14]
It's not as bad as it looks.  You just have to take off the intake plenum, and disconnect a few wires to do the drivers side plugs.
Get your plugs in hand first.  No one around here had them in stock, not even the dealer.

Get after it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#15]
coming up on 50k, just thought i would get ahead of it
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're wasting your time and money.

I personally wouldn't bother till it started misfiring or mpg dropped off which may be never

If you insist on doing it as a pm wait another 50k

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I personally wouldn't bother till it started misfiring or mpg dropped off which may be never

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#18]
NO spark plug is as good as it should be after 50K.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Spark plugs in most cases easily last 100k.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not 1977

You don't have a motorcraft or carter carb sitting in the middle of your engine washing down the entire combustion chamber with dirty poorly refined fuel sparked by a weak single coil through a copper center electrode.

I can show you a 240k mile v10 ford that's still on the original plugs. It's just now getting so you can feel it slightly misfire if you bog the engine with 4 or 5 thousand pounds on a trailer
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

They are not a 50k replacement item, unless there's a problem.

Pretty sure the manual doesn't call for it either.

Save your money and potential frustration.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I say it's cheap insurance. Yes, it may not need plugs at 50k, but changing them out makes for less of a chance of the plugs being frozen in the heads. On some known problem cars/trucks it's actually not a bad idea to just remove and reinstall the plugs every year or two years. Sometimes adding a little anti-seize to the threads can be beneficial (don't overdue it with the anti-seize as to much can work it's way down to the spark plug's electrode causing a misfire)
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I say it's cheap insurance. Yes, it may not need plugs at 50k, but changing them out makes for less of a chance of the plugs being frozen in the heads. On some known problem cars/trucks it's actually not a bad idea to just remove and reinstall the plugs every year or two years. Sometimes adding a little anti-seize to the threads can be beneficial (don't overdue it with the anti-seize as to much can work it's way down to the spark plug's electrode causing a misfire)
View Quote

You will wreak far more havoc on your rides heads removing plugs all the time for no good reason then you will changing them following correct procedures the ONE TIME the vehicle will need it during its entire lifetime.

You are probably one of those guys who would adjust his valves all the time wondering why he gets so many flat cam lobes
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You will wreak far more havoc on your rides heads removing plugs all the time for no good reason then you will changing them following correct procedures the ONE TIME the vehicle will need it during its entire lifetime.

You are probably one of those guys who would adjust his valves all the time wondering why he gets so many flat cam lobes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, I'm one of those guys that is a 23 year ASE mechanic and has seen way to many people neglect their autos and then have damage done when it does become time to fix something. And I said that though changing the plugs wasn't needed(as you should have read since you quoted me),that it could be done without worry. In fact if done correctly, the plugs could be changed out every other month without problems. This is a forum where people can ask for help and get info to make their lives a little easier. Not a place for to throw insults.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Factory states to replace plugs at 96k miles.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Nope, I'm one of those guys that is a 23 year ASE mechanic and has seen way to many people neglect their autos and then have damage done when it does become time to fix something. And I said that though changing the plugs wasn't needed(as you should have read since you quoted me),that it could be done without worry. In fact if done correctly, the plugs could be changed out every other month without problems. This is a forum where people can ask for help and get info to make their lives a little easier. Not a place for to throw insults.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever had problems getting plugs out of a 2012 Jeep Wrangler?

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:06:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Listen to me.  I did it last year. I have a 10 with the 3.8 not much diff from the 3.6. Change them at 50.  I was over gapped because most of the plugs had burned.  Plugs were almost seized on pax side.  You are not supposed to put anti seize back on the due to the heads it what I read.  As someone stated earlier pax side is an indiana jones adventure. 5 min on drivers side 2 hrs on pax side of trying to get the correct angle and leverage due to using adjustable plug wrench and long extension.  took a friend and I doing it together to grt the firewall pax side plug.  Also look into new wires.  JK forum has plenty of topics on this. Most everyone reported burnt out plugs at 50 k.   I would take it to someone next time. I broke two isolators removing them.  Lucky I didnt get stuck in the block
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Listen to me.  I did it last year. I have a 10 with the 3.8 not much diff from the 3.6. Change them at 50.  I was over gapped because most of the plugs had burned.  Plugs were almost seized on pax side.  You are not supposed to put anti seize back on the due to the heads it what I read.  As someone stated earlier pax side is an indiana jones adventure. 5 min on drivers side 2 hrs on pax side of trying to get the correct angle and leverage due to using adjustable plug wrench and long extension.  took a friend and I doing it together to grt the firewall pax side plug.  Also look into new wires.  JK forum has plenty of topics on this. Most everyone reported burnt out plugs at 50 k.   I would take it to someone next time. I broke two isolators removing them.  Lucky I didnt get stuck in the block
View Quote

I had heard similar info from friends, and this is what prompted me to do it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:18:54 AM EDT
[#29]
I think the reccomended plugs come with some kind of coating on them that will lock if you put anti seize.   I know the back pax plug was the most worn and took a while to evict
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#30]
There's a couple good YouTube videos showing how to do this step by step, looks like a pain in the ass
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Yup it was time,
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:45:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Looks like it was fine to me. how much did that cost you?

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#33]
parts were $120 + time in garage paid for by drinking Rogue Dead guy ale = priceless confidence in my Jeep
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#34]

What was the difference in gap?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#35]
.15-.20
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

.15-.20
View Quote
See if your mileage pics up. If it doesn't you wasted money. Did your mileage ever fall off?

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#37]
routine maintenance if it is miles ahead is not wasted money, it will still be spent
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

routine maintenance if it is miles ahead is not wasted money, it will still be spent
View Quote
You should just go buy a new vehicle with that logic.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

wow bandit go easy.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#40]
haters gonna hate
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

haters gonna hate
View Quote

No hate, just disappointment.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#42]

What year and motor?  I ask because I just did a rod and piston in a 2012 Wrangler with a 3.6 and the plugs looked way different than yours do.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
What year and motor?  I ask because I just did a rod and piston in a 2012 Wrangler with a 3.6 and the plugs looked way different than yours do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That picture links to a Honda Pilot forum. 2008

Right now it is the Second picture when you search google "spark plug new vs old"

https://www.google.com/search?q=spark+plug+new+vs+old&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZvayj8rbMAhVDSyYKHTmdChoQsAQIHA&biw=1366&bih=665

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#44]
You paid $120 for 6 spark plugs?!
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Right now it is the Second picture when you search google "spark plug new vs old"

https://www.google.com/search?q=spark+plug+new+vs+old&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZvayj8rbMAhVDSyYKHTmdChoQsAQIHA&biw=1366&bih=665

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You paid $120 for 6 spark plugs?!
View Quote

Also a LOL.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#49]

I am sorry but everything is suspect now.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep. Why would there be oil all over that plug?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top