Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2016 8:20:11 AM EDT
Hi All,

2005 XC70 117K miles.

Just got back from my mechanic yesterday. Rough idling and sporadic shifting and flickering lights.

All new plugs
New MAF
New Thermal regulator ?? (wasn't reading proper temperature and running the fan)

Ran smooth for the hour long ride home. Couple hours later had trouble starting and stalled a few times. Feels sluggish on the 10 minute drive home. He said bring it back this morning... Any thoughts.

He did say there was a small evap leak somewhere... the gas cap menu comes on every once in a while... I think he said code 442.

Thanks

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#1]
The gas cap not being tight can trigger a light but I don't know if it would cause the idle issues.  Does the car have an IAC (idle air control) valve?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#2]
It has an ETM (electronic throttle module)... Going to call him in in a few to see if that's it...

ETA- Check engine light with Service engine system message

Mechanic said check with the dealer, may be a software issue.   They want $130/ hour for diagnostic...
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#3]
they doo offer free code reads at the parts place like autozone, advance auto parts, and so on. my guess is a cracked vacuum hose is causing it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Vacuum leak could definitely be causing it, especially if it's after the MAF and the air has already been metered.  I'd look between the MAF and throttle body.  I'd also pull the code (at autozone or elsewhere) and google it.  Not sure if all OBD2 cars use the same P codes but I'm sure you can find something out there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I just had that on my old Cadillac STS,  It turned out to be the heavy rubber boot between the throttle body and the intake manifold that had developed a crack.  That was the vacuum leak that caused the problems.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The P0442 code just means small evap leak... Says it's usually the gas cap.   I will check the throttle body gaskets..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top