Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2016 1:04:46 AM EDT
I am replacing the left rear wheel bearing, seal, and axle shaft on my Ford 8.8 and have ran into a problem.
The cross pin bolt was tight but I got it out. When the cross pin bolt was out the cross pin slid right out.
After installing the new bearing and seal, sliding the new axle shaft in and reinstalling the c clip I discovered a problem.
I went to put the cross pin in and it is hitting both axle shafts which is preventing me from sliding it in. I made sure I pulled
The axle shaft all the way out after I get reinstalled the c clip. I would worry that I got a bad or wrong axle shaft however the
pin is hitting both axle shafts. I'm hoping I am just missing something simple, but with since it was late and I already smashed
My hand with the slide hammer I called it a night.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:31:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Wrong C-clips, or they are not sitting down in there like they should.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:21:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Try reseating the c-clips. Perhaps the axle needs to be moved slightly back out and in. Nice work on managing to get the pin bolt out without breaking it
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I second the c-clips, try pushing the shaft in, re-seating the clip, giving it a quarter turn or so and pulling it back.  It should sit flush.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw this on another site with a replacement axle.  He took it out and lightly used a grinder on the end of the axle.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I second the c-clips, try pushing the shaft in, re-seating the clip, giving it a quarter turn or so and pulling it back.  It should sit flush.
View Quote

That did it. Thank you Sir!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top