User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By J_Wynn:
Very cool, love the color.

I went with my cousin this weekend and he picked up this 70 Javelin. It is absolutely PERFECT. Needs a bit of tuning though, but it ran good and looks incredible. It has a 390 and a 4 speed. He believes it's an actual Donahue, but does not have the window sticker so not able to be 100% certain.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394919/20170527-121824-2656x1494-219969.JPG
View Quote
Beautiful Javelin! How much did it set him back?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Thump_rrr:

The reason for that configuration is to keep the rack up and out of the way and for the tie rods to be parallel to the lower control arms.
This is done to minimize bumpsteer.
If your concern is for the actual riser used to connect the tie rod to the spindle I have a mustang with Steeda suspension that uses a similar setup.
Mine has been road raced on crappy roads for over a decade without any issues.
View Quote
Yeah the riser is what had me wondering. Sounds like it's been proven, just didn't look right to me. It will be pretty nice when he's done. He does solid work. Cars, knives or other stuff.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:18:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Ouch! Sucks to hear about the hood on the Javelin.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#4]

I went with my cousin this weekend and he picked up this 70 Javelin. It is absolutely PERFECT. Needs a bit of tuning though, but it ran good and looks incredible. It has a 390 and a 4 speed. He believes it's an actual Donahue, but does not have the window sticker so not able to be 100% certain.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394919/20170527-121824-2656x1494-219969.JPG
View Quote
I really like that era of Javelins. That is a nice car!
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote
Very nice 70.  My family reproduced the Trendsetter side exhaust for the AMX and Javelin's and it looks like this car has a set of ours on it!
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bigbad401:

Very nice 70.  My family reproduced the Trendsetter side exhaust for the AMX and Javelin's and it looks like this car has a set of ours on it!
View Quote
That is very cool. Small world.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I got the needle bearing set for the lower steering column Friday so I spent a few hours this morning doing the modification.

This is the column lower assembly before the new mod.

Here I've removed the lower bearing parts from the column.

Here are the pieces I removed along with the new needle bearing set. The middle item in the picture is the lower column angular contact bearing that allowed the unwanted deflection.

I bored the nylon bushing to 1.7495 giving the 1.750 outer race a slight interference fit and pressed the bearing in.

The bushing and bearing assembly installed on the column.

The inner diameter of the inner race is 1". I test fit it on the column output shaft an it was very snug. I put the inner race in my tempering oven and heated it up to 250f allowing it to expand a bit and slipped it onto the output shaft. The inner race cooled and contracted to the shaft holding it in place.

All that was left was to install the shield and clamp. Almost all of the deflection is eliminated. I will have to touch up the black paint.

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quick update, not much to take pictures and show you guys. I have the sub frame connectors welded in and I also installed the wiring harness and have been getting the electrical systems plugged in.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have really enjoyed your AMX in progress pictures.  I wanted an AMX beginning in 1970, but it's never going to take place now.  I skipped my last opportunity eight years ago to buy a good 1968 with a 290 and a 4 speed, in yellow, out of San Diego.  We had AMC and Nash cars from 1936 to 1998.  The last one was when my mother took a showroom condition 1974 Hornet and turned it to scrap by turning left in front of a minivan.  Actually, I salvaged many of the parts and put them on a 1983 Concord for my daughter to learn to drive on, and gave many to John Elle in Arizona.  John got the four year old NOS spring perches my cousin had installed on the Hornet.

It's good to see an AMX being preserved.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Since I got the sub-frame connectors welded in I have been able to go to town on the interior.

I also got the Javelin back from body and paint Saturday.

Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Now don't back up anything into it now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:06:58 AM EDT
[#14]
There's not a lot of reply postings in this thread, however, rest assured we are reading and enjoying it.  You have over 8,500 views of your thread!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I am reading your thread a lot, but don't reply because it makes me sad that I got rid of my 1972 AMX.

But you are doing a great job, and I like watching your progress.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RUGERKAC556:
Thanks for the update!
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:38:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks great so far. Javelin is looking better. A little chrome and it will be good as new.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I started getting the seats in but weather took a turn for the worse. I had to push the AMX into the garage because of monsoon rains and pea sized hail.

Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:45:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Damn, that's a real frogstrangler
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#20]
In between flash flooding I managed to get the seats in properly. My wife remarked it's starting to look like a car again.

Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#21]
What kind of seats?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By slows2k:
What kind of seats?
View Quote
They are Flo-Fit seats. I bought them 5 years ago but I don't think they are made any longer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#23]
They look more comfortable than the OEM AMX seats.  But, I had a (much) lesser version of the AMC corporate bucket seats in a less-expensive 1971 AMC.  Apart from being vinyl, not adjustable, and green, they were OK for the nine years I had the car.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#24]
My brother still has three 401 Javelin AMX's.  I swiped this pic of the net but one of his cars is just like this one.  1973 401, T-10 4-speed, 3.73:1 rear end, and no air.  All the speed goodies but none of the comfort ones other than PS/ PDB's.  Made to go.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BM1455:
My brother still has three 401 Javelin AMX's.  I swiped this pic of the net but one of his cars is just like this one.  1973 401, T-10 4-speed, 3.73:1 rear end, and no air.  All the speed goodies but none of the comfort ones other than PS/ PDB's.  Made to go.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196710/73-AMX-279035.JPG
View Quote
I had a 74 Javelin AMX back in the Mid 80s. To celebrate the annulment of my failed marriage I sold it and bought a Fiero. Wish I wouldn't have celebrated.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:

I had a 74 Javelin AMX back in the Mid 80s. To celebrate the annulment of my failed marriage I sold it and bought a Fiero. Wish I wouldn't have celebrated.
View Quote
Can't speak to failed marriage but we all make bad (car) choices once or twice.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Finally got something to take a picture of. I've been doing some minor stuff under the car that I couldn't photograph. The past several weekends I have been working on the console. I got it assembled and into the car today. When I had the door panels and speaker cover redone I had the wood grain deleted. The black inserts had an ugly wood grain overlay that matched the dash and door panels.  I warmed the inserts with a heat gun the overly pealed off. I then bead blasted the exposed aluminum and painted with semi gloss black. I like the way it turned out. The radio housing was installed temporarily so I could align the console properly during installation. It looks rough because the previous owner hacked it to put in a cheap spark-o-matic cassette deck. I'm going to install a pioneer single din system. I will trim the radio opening more so the hacked area will go away or and be covered with a trim plate. I need to mask the shifter trim and shoot it with the same semigloss. The original shift knob was chrome plated plastic that had really deteriorated. I machined a custom knob from aluminum to match the other custom knobs I machined.

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Keep the updates coming. Nice car. 
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Always cool seeing a nice AMC... kind of partial to the Javelin though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By RUGERKAC556:
Keep the updates coming. Nice car. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry for lack of updates. Work, life and knife making have forced the AMX to the back burner. Do a search of GD for M7 bayonet for one of the knives that was consuming a lot of my time. I'm off until Jan 3rd so hopefully between knife work I can get some car stuff done. I've got all the stuff for the engine compartment brake system to prep and install, a modern stereo system to install and after the brakes are done I can install the engine and transmission. Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry for lack of updates. Work, life and knife making have forced the AMX to the back burner. Do a search of GD for M7 bayonet for one of the knives that was consuming a lot of my time. I'm off until Jan 3rd so hopefully between knife work I can get some car stuff done. I've got all the stuff for the engine compartment brake system to prep and install, a modern stereo system to install and after the brakes are done I can install the engine and transmission. Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!
View Quote
No apologies necessary. Merry Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/23/2017 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Great thread OP. Been following since last year and wondered where you went.

Thanks for the updates and beautiful car.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By IllardSuggins:
View Quote
I figured he traded it for a sweet Fiero!

Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Dave15:

Merry Christmas!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IllardSuggins:

Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Merry Christmas!
View Quote
I've actually owned two Fieros.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Wife and I looked at pics...she said a Labor of Love.

I just thought, looks like your doing it right

Wish I was in a place to do the same type thing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#39]
How hard is it finding parts for that thing?

Awesome.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TRW:
How hard is it finding parts for that thing?

Awesome.
View Quote
It's not as hard as it used to be. Since a lot of the Big Three has gotten expensive folks have turned to AMC stuff. With more AMC stuff being restored suppliers have brought after market reproduction stuff to market. The quality sometimes isn't the greatest though.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 8:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#41]
I bought a stereo, speakers and amp and put them under the tree for my wife. She was very excited and I put knife work aside and worked on the install today. I got the head unit and speakers installed but not wired. I also got the ash tray and cig lighter installed. I machined a custom knob for the cig lighter to match the other knobs I machined. I'm going to have to fabricate a mounting plate for the amp so I can install it in the trunk. The new steering wheel was one of the wife's birthday gifts back in Nov.

eta. The 6x8s didn't come with grills for some reason. I had to order a set from Amazon for future installation.

Link Posted: 12/25/2017 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Awesome man!
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#43]
I've really not liked the color match that Legendary came up with for the door and sail panels. Since I had stuff removed for the stereo install I decided to dye everything to match.

Before

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Worked on the brake system today and got the booster, lines and master cylinder installed.

Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:06:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Looking great!
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:45:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BM1455] [#46]
What are you going to run for a distributor?  I assume not points?
And headers or manifolds?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#47]
What are you going to run for a distributor?  I assume not points?
And headers or manifolds?
View Quote
I've got an HEI distributor and an original distributor with points. I haven't decided which one I'm going to run. I had an aftermarket conversion set up in my Javelin that eliminated the points but it failed after a year. I converted back to points since I can keep a spare set of points in the rig and be back up and running pretty quick. When the conversion unit fails you are dead in the water.

I have long tube header but with the front end modification those are no longer an option. I'm looking of a pair of the Free Flow manifolds that AMC made or a good set of shorty headers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 1:31:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#48]
This car is like a time machine.

You need to start collecting the music from 1969.  That way, when the car is up and running, you will have era-appropriate tunes to play.
Music of 1969 - all genre

Events of 1969: 1969 Recap of events

Any chance you are a Viet Nam veteran?  That shit show was in full swing in 1969.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#49]

I've got an HEI distributor and an original distributor with points. I haven't decided which one I'm going to run. I had an aftermarket conversion set up in my Javelin that eliminated the points but it failed after a year. I converted back to points since I can keep a spare set of points in the rig and be back up and running pretty quick. When the conversion unit fails you are dead in the water.

I have long tube header but with the front end modification those are no longer an option. I'm looking of a pair of the Free Flow manifolds that AMC made or a good set of shorty headers.
View Quote
Have had a look at the Patriot shorty headers?  They are supposedly direct bolt ins if you are using the 71+ up front pipes.  I was kind of hoping to find more reviews of them but I have not seen that many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4TZ1pnShe8
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

You need to start collecting the music from 1969.  That way, when the car is up and running, you will have era-appropriate tunes to play.

Any chance you are a Viet Nam veteran?  That shit show was in full swing in 1969.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

I was in first grade in 69 but I have a bunch of music from the late 60s and early 70s.

Have had a look at the Patriot shorty headers?  They are supposedly direct bolt ins if you are using the 71+ up front pipes.  I was kind of hoping to find more reviews of them but I have not seen that many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4TZ1pnShe8
I look them up when I gat a chance, thanks for the tip.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top