Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2016 9:35:09 PM EDT
I have a 2015 WRX and it brings a smile to my face every time I drive. I have the itch for a vette. I am looking for the next level of fun.
Suggestions and thoughts are welcome.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a c5.  Better than I could have imagined.  Never had a subie, never had a  previous sports car.  I saw it online, dropped everything and ran to it, saw its potential, and am now living a life long dream.  I always regretted not buying one in 2001.  Now I have one that's even better.  I highly recommend getting it.  If you don't like it, you can always trade in to something else.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it a DD or a weekend fun car?
A vette in Texas might be able to be a  daily but up here a vette would take a beating in the winter.

I'd like to buy a LS3 C6 at some point and throw a SC and exhaust on it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
It will be my daily driver. I have a Tahoe if I need the space.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't drive mine much.  I think that helps make it more fun when I do drive it.   A change from the ordinary.  

It always puts me in a good mood to go beat on it or just wash it and wax it.  

Being a manual and a twitchy, stiff riding car takes it out of DD territory for me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't drive mine much.  I think that helps make it more fun when I do drive it.   A change from the ordinary.  

It always puts me in a good mood to go beat on it or just wash it and wax it.  

Being a manual and a twitchy, stiff riding car takes it out of DD territory for me.
View Quote

Do you have the ability to soften the suspension with a setting? If so, does it still beat you up? I have a 6-speed and enjoy rowing thru the gears.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a z06, the least cushy ride of all.  I commute in stop and go traffic for 45-60 mins each way.  

On the other hand, on empty back roads there is nothing better.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up a 8,000 miles '12 C6 6spd with the dual mode exhaust.  Get the newest you can as 11-13s with under 15k miles are in the $33-35,000 range if you look hard enough.  Hell of a deal for 436hp.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#8]
The first Vette I ever sat in and drove was the Z06 I bought. I have a G37x sedan as well so I can relate a little bit with an AWD sedan. Ask away.

Mines not my DD. But I have put on about 15,000 miles on it since I got it in June 2014. I only drive it 6 month a ear. The other 6 months is in storage.

Quoted:
Do you have the ability to soften the suspension with a setting? If so, does it still beat you up? I have a 6-speed and enjoy rowing thru the gears.
View Quote

Models with the magnetorheological suspension (option code F55) can soften or stiffen the suspension. I think those started in 2011, so don't qoute me on that. While the ride is stiff, the OEM seat bottoms have quite a bit of padding. The seat is plusher than what's in my G37. I'm only 29 so I don't think it's un uncomfortable ride. You actually wont really row through gears that much since it's so long. I can just use 1st gear for most autocross setups I've been to around here. 1st=60, 2nd=91, 3rd=120, 4th=160, 5th=198?, 6th=320?.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#9]
How expensive do you expect the maintenance to be compared to the Infiniti? Does the Z06 call for a costlier maintenance program and part replacement like the M3 in the BMW line? Have you had a chance to drive the non Z06 version? If so, thoughts are appreciated. I would love to spring for the Z06, just nervous about paying a premium on the service and parts if that is truly the case.
Thank you for the input!

Quoted:
The first Vette I ever sat in and drove was the Z06 I bought. I have a G37x sedan as well so I can relate a little bit with an AWD sedan. Ask away.

Mines not my DD. But I have put on about 15,000 miles on it since I got it in June 2014. I only drive it 6 month a ear. The other 6 months is in storage.
<a href="http://s778.photobucket.com/user/tt350z/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsse0llnnp.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy62/tt350z/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsse0llnnp.jpeg</a>

Models with the magnetorheological suspension (option code F55) can soften or stiffen the suspension. I think those started in 2011, so don't qoute me on that. While the ride is stiff, the OEM seat bottoms have quite a bit of padding. The seat is plusher than what's in my G37. I'm only 29 so I don't think it's un uncomfortable ride. You actually wont really row through gears that much since it's so long. I can just use 1st gear for most autocross setups I've been to around here. 1st=60, 2nd=91, 3rd=120, 4th=160, 5th=198?, 6th=320?.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

<a href="http://s778.photobucket.com/user/tt350z/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsse0llnnp.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy62/tt350z/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsse0llnnp.jpeg</a>

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Why have you suggested the later years, specifically the 11-13? I was trying to get an 08 or newer due to the engine change. What does the 11-13 bring to the table? Agreed, low mileage is a must.
Thank you for your insight.
Quoted:
I just picked up a 8,000 miles '12 C6 6spd with the dual mode exhaust.  Get the newest you can as 11-13s with under 15k miles are in the $33-35,000 range if you look hard enough.  Hell of a deal for 436hp.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why have you suggested the later years, specifically the 11-13? I was trying to get an 08 or newer due to the engine change. What does the 11-13 bring to the table? Agreed, low mileage is a must.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minor upgrades every year.  Like for example the 12-13 have a more Recaro style seat and updated wheels vs. the 08-11.  Biggest thing is the price difference.  08s go for $28-31 why not spend a few grand more and get one that's only a couple years old.  Right now C6 coupes are WAY under valued due to the push by Corvette owners to buy the "latest and greatest" being the new C7.  This floods the market everytime with great previous generation cars.  Right now is the time to buy as I've already started to see the 08-13s start to climb back up in value.  

FYI, the Z06 is a completely separate model from the Coupe  The hierarchy goes like this (for the most part).

Base Coupe - LS3
Grand Sport - (Z06 body kit + LS3)
Z06 - different exterior appearance + 505hp LS7
ZR1 - supercharged LS9 630hp

For what you're looking to spend you appear to be looking for a Base Coupe 08-13 or a 07-08 Z06 (mid 30s price range)  The LS3 coupe is a hell of car and by no means a slouch even when compared to a Z06.  Runs mid 12s in the 1/4 and rides great.  I drive mine as much as I can. I went with a 1LT as I hate electronic gee gaws like navigation and other weight adding non-performance options.  I did make sure to get one with the dual mode exhaust which is bascally a factory exhaust cutout!  I barely use the radio as I'm always just listening to that sweet engine music lol.

go to Corvetteforum.com and autotrader as that's where you'll find your car.  Also with Corvettes be prepared to travel as you aren't going to find what you want usually in your area (you might get lucky being in Texas but it wouldn't hurt to look in other nearby states as well).  With Texas though make for 100% sure it hasn't been modified.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Are you capable of doing your own wrenching? If so I dont think it's really that expensive a car to maintain. If you're not capable of doing your own wrenching, the labor at a dealer is probably going to cost the same as any other car. The only difference would be the price of Corvette specific parts. As long as you're not trying to change pistons or rods or internal engine components, parts for the motor is pretty easy to find and cheap. I can run to just about any Chevy dealer and get what I need. I think maintenance is cheaper on the Vette, IF mine was stock and I wasn't trying to race/autocross it. I don'teven want to know what a BMW costs to service. I think the nearest dealer is maybe 8 hours away.

The C6 is generally a pretty stout car. I'd stay away from the 05's as they had a weak diff that is known to blow apart. The axles on pre 09' are known to snap if drag racing as well, so people throw in C5 Z06 axles. The only non Z06 I've driven is a 427. Its basically. GS convertible with the LS7, so far intent and purposes, its a convertible Z06. So I can't compare to the base model.

Honestly, the most expensive maintenance cost for the Z06/GS is the tires, but I already accepted that operating cost before I got into it. The large size limits the selection so the cheapest sets are usually Nitto Invos.

The Vettes nav is garbage. You're better off installing an aftermarket. If you want the HUD, it's probably easier to just get a car that already has it. The retrofit for it can be a huge pain. All Z06's come with the HUD standard. Heated seats are nice, but I don't drive mine in freezing weather when they would actually be useful, so it's personally not something I would have to have. With that said, mine does have the nav and heated seats, because it was the trim on the car I could find. I'm probably gonna switch to a more race seat in the future, so the heated seats will be gone.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Ride is stiff and expect to spend on rear tires. Other than that it's not expensive to maintain like other performance cars like Porsche.

Get a top of the line radar detector and laser jammer.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a c5.  Better than I could have imagined.  Never had a subie, never had a  previous sports car.  I saw it online, dropped everything and ran to it, saw its potential, and am now living a life long dream.  I always regretted not buying one in 2001.  Now I have one that's even better.  I highly recommend getting it.  If you don't like it, you can always trade in to something else.
View Quote

Unless you are taking it to the track and really getting it out there and learning how to drive it.......you are not seeing it's full potential on the street.  I've never understood performance sports/track cars as a daily drive on the street. Not that they aren't fun......just seems like a waste of money.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Unless you are taking it to the track and really getting it out there and learning how to drive it.......you are not seeing it's full potential on the street.  I've never understood performance sports/track cars as a daily drive on the street. Not that they aren't fun......just seems like a waste of money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I started tracking my BMWs I stopped driving them on the street in favor of older SUVs (didn't give a crap about people running into them, driving over a curb, etc).  Then I started off-roading the SUVs and sold the BMW M3.  If I got another sports car it would be track only, too boring to drive on the street.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring to the fact that she needed some lovin'.  It is a Z16 lemans commemorative, and it used to be a show car.  When I found her, she had been left outside in the cold, paint was decent but showing some issues, weatherstripping cracking and spotted, some interior pieces were missing or damaged.  So it was a mild amount of restoration work, along with knowing where I would do more harm that good and stopping before I made it worse.  

I've wanted to do a track day, but its been quite cost prohibitive so far.  VIR is a few hours away, and I can pay $400+ to drive around behind someone else for a few laps.... so I haven't done it.  I get plenty of enjoyment out of it at Cars and Coffee meets and such.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a 2005 vette with 28K on the odometer. Tons of torque and looks really sharp to me. Very light clutch and very comfortable to drive.
The WRX is more fun to drive and will out handle the vette hands down.
Now we know.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have both.  Keep the WRX.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I am keeping the WRX for my daily and plan on supercharging the vette for straight line goodness.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#20]
What is your favorite car that you have ever driven?
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I bought a 2005 vette with 28K on the odometer. Tons of torque and looks really sharp to me. Very light clutch and very comfortable to drive.

Now we know.
View Quote
Oops.

Time for a GT-R.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I would love a GTR or a 911 turbo one day. Viper and an AC Cobra replica with a 427 is on the list too. That said, the WRX is pretty damn awesome!
Quoted:
Oops.    

Time for a GT-R.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now we know.
Oops.    

Time for a GT-R.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#23]
You know what to do with the vette...

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Now we know.
View Quote

In what ways does the WRX out handles the Vette? Steering feel and response?

2005-2007 were known to have not so go steering response and feel. The steering rack was improved in 2008 and further revised for 2009.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a 2015 WRX and it brings a smile to my face every time I drive. I have the itch for a vette. I am looking for the next level of fun.
Suggestions and thoughts are welcome.
View Quote

Focus RS

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Are you open to any other cars?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

2005-2007 were known to have not so go steering response and feel. The steering rack was improved in 2008 and further revised for 2009.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now we know.

The WRX handles like a go-cart similar to a miata. The vette I have has magnetic ride control, but not the z51 handling package. I am going to upgrade the sway bars and bushings and rods. I'll report back after I make the changes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Are you open to any other cars?
View Quote

One of my personal goals is to own many sports cars. I plan on a AC Cobra 427 replica, Viper, Atom Ariel are on the short list.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#29]
It looks like he bought an 05 C6.  I hope he didn't pay more than $25,000 for it and it has under 20,000 miles.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It looks like he bought an 05 C6.  I hope he didn't pay more than $25,000 for it and it has under 20,000 miles.
View Quote

$23K with 28K on the odometer in pristine condition.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:59:22 AM EDT
[#31]
imho the C5Z is still the best sports car on the market for the money spent.  You can get into a clean one for under 25k easy, you get tons of power with the LS6, great weight distrib, world-class handling, great trans, lots of modifications, cheap ins, etc.

I thought long and hard about the C5Z before getting my CTS-V. Great car. Awesome car, in fact. Pure sports car, without defilement, and cool 90's style flip-up headligfhts.

Because we like shit like that still.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top