Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2015 7:04:58 PM EDT
Anyone interested in following along as I build up two of my E30's?  One is going to be for a fun work car and the other is going to be a gift for my son.  I currently have a slight problem with buying E30's so I figured I might as well do something with at least a couple of them.  I have 8 of them right now.

My build is starting off as a 91 318is slicktop car.  Paint is going to be alpine white, interior is staying stock but except a set of black sparcos.  M42 is getting pulled and a carbed 5.0 is going in.  5.0 is out of a 2000 explorer and is being built for a mild 400 at the crank and will be running an extra 100 shot of juice for just in case moments.  Manual brakes and manual steering are in the future for it.  Target weight for the completed car is 2450 lbs.  It is sitting on coilovers now and will be getting flared a bit so I can stick some rubber under it but nothing too crazy.  I hope for this to be done by Spring, not really a fast build but I don't have much time to work on it.

Second build is an 86 325es that has a M20b27 and auto  I will be putting the M42 in it along with the 5 speed to help liven it up a bit.  The rearend is also going to swapped from car to car.  The 318is is currently rocking a 4.10 limited slip rear.  The 325es is a 2.93 limited slip.  Basically it is just getting the hand me downs from the 318is.  It is also getting the interior refreshed and the paint is going to be polished back to better than new, benefit of single stage white paint from the factory.  Other than that it is getting a homemade big brake kit using volkswagon and mazda parts, some coilovers to lower it a bit, a decent head unit and speakers and I will probably be throwing on some old school 80's style wheels on it.  I plan on being done with this by Christmas and all work will be done by me.  Usually my son helps me but this one is going to be a surprise for him.  He already has an E30 (90 convertible) that he has done most of the work on.  He actually doesn't even drive yet, he won't be getting his license until this summer, lol.

This is the one that will be alpine white and getting the 5.0 swapped in.  Yes I know you hate the wheels.  17x8 Schmidt TH Lines.  They are 80's euro car excellence.  

The red one is my sons vert in the previous owners driveway when we went to go buy it.

Vert with a bit of work done to it at the shop I work at.

I have a month to get this looking and driving better than new.  Last time on the road was in 2003.  New drivetrain, interior refurb, paint restore, new suspension and brakes.  Should be easy.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely in.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Owned several e30s, I think 5 in total. I still regret selling a mint 22k mileage 325is in 2008ish.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm just here for pics of E30s. Carry on...
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
A couple E30s at a track day

Touring on Ronal Turbos

M tech on BBS

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I'm in!
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top