Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2015 6:07:35 PM EDT
The other night I had these two codes. P0088 Fuel/Rail System Pressure too high along with P1000 OBD II monitor testing incomplete.

So, I cleared them and the truck ran fine, no problems nice and smooth. Rail pressure is steady.

Well I go and hook up to the 5th wheel and when I start to take off, I get those same two codes again and now the rail pressure is fluctuating a whole lot and it feels like it's missing due to the fuel pressure dropping out. From like 15k down to 8k back up and back down.

So. I guess I have to hit up Ebay now and spend 1k+ also some new fuel lines.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Sucks.

You could just LS swap it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Or a cummins swap
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sucks.

View Quote

Twin turbo lsx

173k miles on the original pump, it was time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Or a cummins swap
View Quote

Boooooooooo
Found a kit on the net $1500 for the pump and all the assorted gaskets and fuel line and other stuff.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Twin turbo lsx

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sucks.

Twin turbo lsx

Ah that's not bad at all, then.

You work that 6.4 pretty regularly though right, in your 450-series chassis?  Anecdote suggests that a 6.0/6.4 that's worked regularly survives a lot longer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You work that 6.4 pretty regularly though right, in your 450-series chassis?  Anecdote suggests that a 6.0/6.4 that's worked regularly survives a lot longer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sucks.

Twin turbo lsx

Yep, it's a 250 though. The most it will sit is on Sunday's. Other than that About 40-80 miles a day and she always gets up to normal operating temp before shutting her down.

I just wish I had a lift because I'd do a cab off and change the worn body mounts while I was at it.

And I want to make sure it's my HPFP before I spend that money.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I had someone tell me it may be a faulty fuel rail pressure sensor?

Looks like I need to search how to test that
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Not super familiar with the 6.4 but I do know that having a rail pressure sensor go bad can cause lots of issues.

How similar is the 6.4 fuel system to the typical bosch common rail setup? Electronic fuel pressure regulators going bad can cause that on a bosch setup

Does the rail have a fuel pressure relief valve? Sometimes those can go and cause rail pressure issues.

Bouncing around like that sounds like the pump but maybe you'll luck out
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:39:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Or a cummins swap
View Quote

Yep, I would De-stroke it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:43:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a fuel control actuator
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:06:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not super familiar with the 6.4 but I do know that having a rail pressure sensor go bad can cause lots of issues.    

How similar is the 6.4 fuel system to the typical bosch common rail setup? Electronic fuel pressure regulators going bad can cause that on a bosch setup

Does the rail have a fuel pressure relief valve? Sometimes those can go and cause rail pressure issues.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's a Siemens common rail, but very similar to the Bosch that the 6.7 uses.

I'm not sure about the pressure relief valve though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:07:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't that built in into the hpfp?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#13]
well well well, look what I have found on another forum.

Just to throw this out there, (show you how much diagnostics matter), I had one throwing the p0088 code. Looked at the tsb, and ordered a pump. Put it on, and a short time later, it was back with the same code. I took a long test drive with the IDS, and the cruise control quit. I talked to the owner and he admitted it would do that. Think about this one, when it would do it, it would also dim the lights (that was important). In the pcm connector, pin 39 is the FRP (fuel rail pressure) pin 16 (next to 39 but above it) is the generator (13.5 volts). They were shorting together internally when hitting a bump, setting FRP too high, and dimming the lights (13.5 volts going to 5).
View Quote

Not I need to inspect that before I go the new HPFP route. My cruise control was not working on those two days, I just assumed it was coincidence.

I am hoping anticitizenone chimes in. I have no problem paying or bartering for consultation services.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a frps go bad on my mustang once. I spent hundreds on my car and then someone mentioned the frps to me and it fixed it right up.

Try that first, should be pretty cheap.

Mine had a vacuum line attached to it. If you unplug it from the sensor it's self and fuel starts dripping out or it smells like fuel that's the problem.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had a frps go bad on my mustang once. I spent hundreds on my car and then someone mentioned the frps to me and it fixed it right up.

Mine had a vacuum line attached to it. If you unplug it from the sensor it's self and fuel starts dripping out or it smells like fuel that's the problem.
View Quote

yeah this one isn't expensive, but it's really high pressure so there's no vaccum line.

I think I'll drive the truck over some bumps and watch the voltage to see if I have a short.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
The 6.4 in question is a common rail diesel, the various sensors do the same job as a gas engine but the pressures are 1000x higher. The high pressure side is all steel lines, no hoses.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
yeah this one isn't expensive, but it's really high pressure so there's no vaccum line.

I think I'll drive the truck over some bumps and watch the voltage to see if I have a short.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That seems like the kind of problem that lots of trucks would have over time. That's the great thing about the internet, when they make millions of something, a pattern of gripes will emerge and it helps you diagnosis problems quickly.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That seems like the kind of problem that lots of trucks would have over time. That's the great thing about the internet, when they make millions of something, a pattern of gripes will emerge and it helps you diagnosis problems quickly.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know it's freaking amazing
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I rember its bolted to the hpfp
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Non serviceable right?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#21]
The FRPS is under the right side valve cover. They go bad at times on those, as does the HPFP. There is also a wire harness that connects to the pump that causes some troubles. It is cheap so replace it when you have the pump out.

Have fun changing the pump with the cab on
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The FRPS is under the right side valve cover. They go bad at times on those, as does the HPFP. There is also a wire harness that connects to the pump that causes some troubles. It is cheap so replace it when you have the pump out.

View Quote
My God, do you Ford Guys pull the cab for everything? Did they stuff that motor half way into the foot well or something?

Pulling the cp3 isn't a lot of fun on a duramax either...and its pretty much front and center on the engine. Actually changing the fuel pressure regulator is enough to make me apoplectic.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My God, do you Ford Guys pull the cab for everything? Did they stuff that motor half way into the foot well or something?    

Pulling the cp3 isn't a lot of fun on a duramax either...and its pretty much front and center on the engine. Actually changing the fuel pressure regulator is enough to make me apoplectic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6.4s suck to work on, cab forward with twin turbos doesn't leave much room to move around.

We have changed turbos and pumps with the cab on when we can't pull the cab due to over cab racks....they suck pretty bad.

I said cab a lot.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

6.4s suck to work on, cab forward with twin turbos doesn't leave much room to move around.

We have changed turbos and pumps with the cab on when we can't pull the cab due to over cab racks....they suck pretty bad.

I said cab a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said cab a lot.

I'd do a cab off if I had a lift but I don't have a garage built yet so I'll have to do the repair under the carport.

I am buying a topside creeper so hopefully that will help some.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#25]
mine blew off multiple X good luck!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not gonna say anything...
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, we spend too much time here....I think we need some time apart.....it's not you...it's me....

I was just talking to my pops and saying I need to spend a whole weekend in the garage fixing things I've been putting off....I haven't really done any maintenance on the old beast in several years...besides old and filters.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'd do a cab off if I had a lift but I don't have a garage built yet so I'll have to do the repair under the carport.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said cab a lot.

You'll love that creeper. If you don't have metric ratcheting wrenches get some of those too.

That turbo setup is fucking heavy, we use a cherry picker to pick it up out of the engine compartment.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You'll love that creeper. If you don't have metric ratcheting wrenches get some of those too.

That turbo setup is fucking heavy, we use a cherry picker to pick it up out of the engine compartment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said cab a lot.

That creeper is like a must from what I hear.

How much you think the turbo weighs? Under a hundred?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Non serviceable right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Non serviceable right?

You can swap it if you pull it look in there for debri and make sure you keep it clean
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You can swap it if you pull it look in there for debri and make sure you keep it clean
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Non serviceable right?

That must be an international part number?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:11:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Hope it turns out to be a cheap & easy fix!

<-----------6.0L owner
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 6:29:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Bosch
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am buying a topside creeper so hopefully that will help some

Under a hundred but awkward to lift under the hood. There's not really anywhere to stand and lift it out....I'm sure you'll come up with a way to get it out though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

<-----------6.0L owner
View Quote

I'd take a 6.0 over a 6.4 any day
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Bosch
View Quote

I got ya, I think the 6.4's have a Siemens hpfp though
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<-----------6.0L owner

Whoa.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Whoa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<-----------6.0L owner

Whoa.

yeah....that was the whole reason I bought a 6.4 was not to have the 6.0 issues,

I just have to mess with a HPFP and a HFCM and 8 injectors compared to all the other things with the HEUI system.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Ran the truck again today after clearing the code from the last time I ran the truck.

after 20 miles, and several hard accelerations with Rail Pressure reaching 22-23kpsi and no codes being thrown I am starting to think either an intermittent short or a faulty rail pressure sensor. Now I am not a ford master tech, but I would assume that if it was really the pump or the pressure regulator on the pump it should have acted up on that drive??

Anyhow, I am waiting for my fuel filters to come in and when they do, I'll look at the fuel bowl for metal and contamination and if there isn't any I am going to replace the FRP sensor and go from there.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Whoa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<-----------6.0L owner

Whoa.

I have 3 blown 6.4 engines and a half dozen turbo setups sitting in the shop floor waiting on the core guy to come around.....seeing as they make me $ maybe I should love the 6.4
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ran the truck again today after clearing the code from the last time I ran the truck.

after 20 miles, and several hard accelerations with Rail Pressure reaching 22-23kpsi and no codes being thrown I am starting to think either an intermittent short or a faulty rail pressure sensor. Now I am not a ford master tech, but I would assume that if it was really the pump or the pressure regulator on the pump it should have acted up on that drive??

Anyhow, I am waiting for my fuel filters to come in and when they do, I'll look at the fuel bowl for metal and contamination and if there isn't any I am going to replace the FRP sensor and go from there.

View Quote

We see that happen quite a bit when the HPFP harness/gasket gets fucked up, unfortunately its just about as difficult to change as the pump.

Usually the code will trip, the truck will either die or go into limp mode, shut it off and wait a few minutes and the truck will start and run fine for a day or week or month. Fuel pressure issues have started to become a giant PITA in the last couple years.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We see that happen quite a bit when the HPFP harness/gasket gets fucked up, unfortunately its just about as difficult to change as the pump.

Usually the code will trip, the truck will either die or go into limp mode, shut it off and wait a few minutes and the truck will start and run fine for a day or week or month. Fuel pressure issues have started to become a giant PITA in the last couple years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you described sounds like what I'm going through. Like you said that's definitely a bear of a job to change them out.

I bet the issues are being seen more often because age and heat cycles are finally catching up to the trucks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Traded mine when I hit 120k and the HPFP started to go.

I miss it
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Drop in a 6.7

After deletes this truck is a monster!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Drop in a 6.7

After deletes this truck is a monster!
View Quote

LoL, the 6.7 wishes it could make the power a 6.4 makes.

The 6.7 does have a more common injector system though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#46]
So at 173547 miles I'm calling it. I was able to change the fuel filters out just now and they didn't look dirtier than usual, but while looking into the fuel bowl if you really looked hard, I mean hard, you could see what appears to be some tiny silver specks in the fuel. So I am guessing the hpfp is dead Jim.

Interestingly enough I had the same code pop up when towing and when empty, what's weird is when it happens despite clearing the code with the scan tool I can only make like 15psi of boost and my cruise control is out until I turn off the engine and turn it back on.

What do you gurus think?

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:40:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Those threads have a lot of chatter in them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:51:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Poor machining? Or made that way because of the Plastic cap that screws in?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:56:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just a machining artifact. I always look at threads.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:57:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok cool
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top