Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2015 3:34:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Is any check lights on the dash?  imo it can be a few things.  really bad plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, coils, and of course something internal.  When was the last time a basic tune u was done to it?  does it sit for long periods of time?
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Survey says fuel pump #1 answer.  seems like every Chevy the wife has had needed a fuel pump about 70,000. We started trading them at 50000 to avoid it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#3]
fuel pump
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If its possible, either have someone bring an OBD II scanner and scan your truck to see what codes are popping u.  usually this tell u what ur problem is.  if no 1 has 1, just go to any autozone, check, orieleys, and they will scan it for free and tell you what the code/problem is.   since there is a check engine light on, i wouldnt really start "guessing" what it could be cause that will tell you what is wrong.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Flashing CEL indicates a misfire.  Is the CEL light staying on, or did if just flash and then go off?  If the light is staying on, you have some codes to read.

Could be the fuel pump.  Turn the ignition to run, but don't start the engine.  Do you hear a whine from the fuel tank?  The fuel pump on my '01 Suburban died around 115k miles.  But it went quick - all of a sudden, the engine died and would not restart.

Maybe a problem with the mass airflow sensor or oxygen sensor is causing it to intermittently run rich?  Just guessing here....
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd bet you've got an intake manifold gasket leaking. Every truck I've owned with an LS engine has done it at one time or another.
While you've got it apart, replace the knock sensors.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Forgot to mention that the check engine light was flashing. It's probably been a while since it had much work done on it. I got it serviced a few months ago, but I don't recall much getting done besides the fluids getting changed. It's not uncommon for it to sit for a few days at a time, but that's about it. Never more than a week.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is any check lights on the dash?  imo it can be a few things.  really bad plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, coils, and of course something internal.  When was the last time a basic tune u was done to it?  does it sit for long periods of time?

Forgot to mention that the check engine light was flashing. It's probably been a while since it had much work done on it. I got it serviced a few months ago, but I don't recall much getting done besides the fluids getting changed. It's not uncommon for it to sit for a few days at a time, but that's about it. Never more than a week.

Flashing CEL indicates a misfire.  Nasty smelling exhaust and poor/idling also indicates a misfire.

Need to determine if it's random or one cylinder. Get a code scanner.  P0300 is random, the rest are individual cylinders.

Individual cylinder misfire codes (P0301-8) would point to fuel injector or spark plug/coil wire.  

Fuel pump issues are extremely common on these trucks.  Mine is on its 3rd.    

Plugged cats are also common on these trucks.  When mine went, it started misfiring badly under full throttle.

GM crank sensors are notorious for failing.  Generally will cause random misfires. Usually, a failing sensor will stall at random times and run fine at others.  MAF sensors do that as well, and can cause misfiring if faulty.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#9]
If it's loading up with fuel (the smell on your clothes) I doubt its the pump and more like a sensor that's not performing well.  

Easy fix, get some Mass air flow cleaner from Autozone and spray your MAF.  (spraying into the screen side) to clean it.  You'd be surpised how a MAF that is barely barely dirty can cause havoc on the system.  Especially in OPEN Loop when the engine is cold and not reading off the O2 sensors like when it's warm and in closed loop.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive had some similar issues with my 07 Yukon XL. Showed a misfire so I pulled the spark plug wires and one of the wires stayed on the plug. New wires and new plugs and it now drives awesome. Even gained about 4mpg on the highway. 126k miles and Im not sure that the plugs were ever changed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Pull the vacuum hose off of your fuel pressure regulator.........  If it has gas in it, it is shot and dumping fuel directly into the intake manifold.  Takes 5 minutes to change it if it's bad.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pull the vacuum hose off of your fuel pressure regulator.........  If it has gas in it, it is shot and dumping fuel directly into the intake manifold.  Takes 5 minutes to change it if it's bad.
View Quote

Where I would start.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Couple bottles of TECHRON fuel injector cleaner,  followed by a NEW fuel filter installation couldnt hurt.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#16]
After plugs and wires, check the coil packs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top